Elk is not Bankrupt

OutCold

So....according to their phone, Elk had to declare bankruptcy and their opening is postponed until they can refinance. That sucks...i was looking forward to riding elk pretty soon.

What's the number you called? This is big news for Greek Peak. They are our biggest competition in the region! Could mean good things for other areas!

Thanks!

What's the number you called? This is big news for Greek Peak. They are our biggest competition in the region! Could mean good things for other areas!

Thanks!

The loss of a resort like Elk is not really good news for anyone, unless your only interest is financial.

:( I never got to ride at Elk, having only been here a short time, I would have been there this year, and still will be if they manage to scape together enough money to run the lifts...

The loss of a resort like Elk is not really good news for anyone, unless your only interest is financial.

:( I never got to ride at Elk, having only been here a short time, I would have been there this year, and still will be if they manage to scape together enough money to run the lifts...

That is very true. From a business stand point it is good news for us. However, it is a tragic loss for the ski community and all man kind. Skiing is life, and when a place that gives life has to close, it's never good for anyone.

Any details on Elk's bankruptcy would be appreciated! If you know something please keep us informed!

Elk is a good mountain with a huge customer base. If they can't get thier finances straight and have to sell the mountain, someone will come in and keep the mountain going. Done right it could be a nice money maker. I don't think we will have to worry about Elk being gone forever. They should remain open for this year, and then I'm sure we can expect some changes.

I would have thought Elk would have figured out this backruptcy stuff before the projected first week of the season. So I assume they haven't started blowing snow.

Elk is a lot like Greek, in that our profit margin is VERY slim, and sometimes non-existent. All the money we make goes directly into keeping the operation going. This is actually the hardest time of year for a ski resort. If pass sales are down, and pre-sold product is down then the mountain doesn't have money to blow snow, pay people, run lifts etc...

Until full operations begin all the mountains are surviving with whatever funds they have from Season pass sales. Elk has a lot of overhead that has to be taken care of, and if they've gone through their money all ready, it makes sense that they would be on the verge of bankruptcy.

However, I think they will be able to pull through. Postponing their opening will save them money. When mountains open early they often don't make any money out of it, because it is mostly pass holders skiing, and well like I said above, the money pass holders bring in, is already spent.

Hopefully that all makes sense, and I was able to provide a little insight for everyone!

Goodluck Elk!

I wouldn't think Elk is a goner yet, give them some time to sort things out. Hopefully they will be back before I was planning on heading up there around X-mas

+1

My family and I have been going to Elk for a few days around Christmas for the past 2-3 years. In fact, I think my Mom has already placed a deposit on a lodge just a few miles from Elk. Hopefully they'll be open by Christmas, or our annual Christmas Ski vacation will be off. :no

So....according to their phone, Elk had to declare bankruptcy and their opening is postponed until they can refinance. That sucks...i was looking forward to riding elk pretty soon.

:deadhorse:

Which number did you call? I just called the main number and got a message stating their hours and that they've already started making snow and are planning on opening in early Dec. The number I called was 570-679-4400.

hopfuly it is a romer but if its not....

If they can't get thier finances straight and have to sell the mountain, someone will come in and keep the mountain going. Done right it could be a nice money maker. I don't think we will have to worry about Elk being gone forever. They should remain open for this year, and then I'm sure we can expect some changes.

pappa ? any takers?

Maybe its was a December fools joke. It is the 1st of December you know. I was feeling pretty bad that Elk was on the verge, but now I don't know what to think. Hope they're doing well, haha.

Edited by lurker

sounds like a practicle joke. Everything is set up. One person can flip the switches and real bills dont come until 30 days later. If a mountain is in trouble,i would think that you would notice in the cafeterias first, since most food service billing is 10 days not 20 like utilities.

LOL! What a hoot! The Elk website looks really healthy. On the photo of the day page could be found the following:

The temperatures may be to warm to make snow,

but the snow is still bringing smiles to these faces .

Elk plans to open in early/mid December weather permitting.

Start Thinking Snow!

November 27, 2005.

Elk Mountain Ski Resort, Inc. | RR2, Box 3328, Union Dale, PA (etc. etc.)

I skiied a couple of days last season at Elk and had a blast there. Go visit and support them. Its a big mountain and has the most "western skiing" feel of anyplace I've been in PA. - VY

Edited by volklyokel