PARK PASS!

Dr. Cheek

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I skier I am a little ignorant when it comes to the whole park pass thing. Can anyone buy one or do you have qualify? Is the point of the passes to keep people in the "bunny park" till they know the ettiquette and have the skills to not get hurt or hurt others in the "big boy" park? To me it seems kind of unfair that a mountain would limit you to an inferior park till you are good enought for the real one, yet let any ass on the black diamonds. To address the ettiquette issue, I think a large number of snowboarders (notice I did not say all, since there are plenty of accomplished and considerate boarders) lack common sense and courtsey and could care less about proper ettiquette. How can you expect someone to call their drop when they can't even strap in without inconveniencing the other skiers/ boarders around them/ coming off the lift. It also seems to me that you will never learn the more difficult tricks until you try them on the real rails, jumps, etc.

Note to defensive snowboarders... I did say I was ignorant to the whole idea, so before you jump on me remember that.

Edited by sexkitten

I don't really agree with the whole park pass thing, but something has to be done about ettiquite. The park at CB was rediculous today. There were a decent amount of people who were just fine, but there were a few that were terrible. I was cut off for a jump (even though I clearly called my drop) by a girl who rolled over the lip. I avoided a few rails because of people. The absolute worst came when I was waiting for the second jump in laurel glade.

I'm up the trail a ways trying to get more speed and hopefully more air. Below me there are a few people waiting closer to the hit. They were taking way too long but thats not even the issue. Out of nowhere I hear "DADDY I'M GOING TO DO IT". Well this can't be good. A father and 2 little kids emerges from the side of the rainbow rail. They could have not been more than 5 yards above the jump. A little girl procedes to head at this jump from a dead stop. Needless to say she does not make it up. Instead of sliding backwards down it and ending the problem she has to take it one step farther. She begins to WALK!! in an outturned plow type way up the ramp of this jump. She teeters on the lip for a second, steps down and skis away as happy as can be. Her brother follows and procedes to do the same. Proud papa just stood there and took the whole thing in, skied around and collected his children.

I don't claim to be a park rat at all, but these kind of things are just downright unacceptable. A lot of people may disagree, but everyone has the right to roll over a lip once. We've all got to learn. What happened today is just completely unnescessary.

The fact is that most people are not aware of anything going on in the park. These are mostly little kids that don't pay attention. They need to realize that there are people who may be hitting the same obsticle but are coming from a higher point, with lots of speed. They need to look around them before hitting anything, and they don't.

I'm all for park passes. Fence off the entire park and keep people that don't belong out. I've been riding long enough (this is my 16th season) to remember what it was like to only be able to ride in parks...that is if I was allowed on the mountain at all with my snowboard. Everything has gone 180 since then. Back then skiiers didn't want boarders on the hill with them so they sent us off to one little trail. Now skiiers want to ride the one little trail that we have...but not follow the rules.

It is getting down right dangerous for everyone in the park this season. Way to many people not following simple rules. I was there 3 days ago and probably 50% of my runs I got snaked on at least 1 feature...mostly by people just strolling through the park.

although park passes would not be the end of the world i disagree with the idea...mainly because it will slow everything down... not only will u be scanned at the bottom of the lift but most likely once again as u enter towards the park...i just think it is too much of a hassle just to ride in the terrain park

I'm all for park passes. Fence off the entire park and keep people that don't belong out. I've been riding long enough (this is my 16th season) to remember what it was like to only be able to ride in parks...that is if I was allowed on the mountain at all with my snowboard. Everything has gone 180 since then. Back then skiiers didn't want boarders on the hill with them so they sent us off to one little trail. Now skiiers want to ride the one little trail that we have...but not follow the rules.

This is my 22nd or 23rd season on a board(started on a Burton Woody if anybody remembers those).I remember the day they let boarders on the mtn.(Doe mtn. back then)One trail and Mon. nites only.Boy has alot changed.I was just happy as hell to get out and ride.As glad as I am to see the sport progress through the years, another side of me wishes it hadn't .You knew everybody that rode a board at your mountain,and when you rode at another mtn,the locals would find out who you were.It was all about the stoke and having fun.At the end of the day we were all smiles as we cracked open beers and talked about what a great time we had,not bitching people cutting us off or little kids getting in our way.We were stoked just to ride.Yea it's gone 180 since then.........

In opinion I think park passes will never work.Too dificult to regulate,and as someone said then why not regulate bump trials and diamond trails.I don't like novices on them but I deal with it.If the park could flow it would be alot better.I don't like it when groups of people just stand or sit in the middle of the trail waitng to do some rail or jump.

It all comes down to informing the general population what "right" and "wrong" is with reference to the park. They have put up signs, people have talked about the Ride Smart (?) program, the parks are marked with signs that explain what we've all said here... Yet there are still stories like Schifdawg's about little kids flailing about in the park... Been there brother. I was at BC on Mon. morning at open and saw two guys ripping off the top booter pulling flips (solid). With people stepping to the plate with these moves, something needs to be done to continue to permit it, but without fear of making a crater out of some micro-kiddie wedging through the park. I don't think anyone really has an answer, unfortunately I believe it will come back on all of us. We either have to tell people what the story is (i.e. "hey, not a good place to stand around", etc) and/or limit the amplitude of the park during peak hours to avoid problems. Rails are much more immune, however, than the booters. I am not a big rail guy, and I can't pull all the fancy moves, but hit all the big stuff. Often without someone serving as a spotter, which has indeed become more risky.

PS> I also agree with the few who mention that "they let anyone on a black diamond" -- been witness to some of that mayhem myself.

As I skier I am a little ignorant when it comes to the whole park pass thing. Can anyone buy one or do you have qualify? Is the point of the passes to keep people in the "bunny park" till they know the ettiquette and have the skills to not get hurt or hurt others in the "big boy" park?

Basically. At other mountains, like Stratton and Mountain Creek, to get access to the big park, you need to watch a video on safety and etiquette. MC also charges a small fee for the pass for the year. The video is pretty painless.

To me it seems kind of unfair that a mountain would limit you to an inferior park till you are good enought for the real one, yet let any ass on the black diamonds.

What, all 100 yards of that oh-so-challenging black diamond terrain that BC offers? While I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of restricting access to black diamonds, that's really a discussion for another time - we're talking about terrain parks right now.

To address the ettiquette issue, I think a large number of snowboarders (notice I did not say all, since there are plenty of accomplished and considerate boarders) lack common sense and courtsey and could care less about proper ettiquette. How can you expect someone to call their drop when they can't even strap in without inconveniencing the other skiers/ boarders around them/ coming off the lift.

This seems to be more of an age issue than what people have strapped to their feet issue IMHO. Younger kids are prone to either not realize what kind of a hazard they can be if they plop down right off the lift, or just don't care.

It also seems to me that you will never learn the more difficult tricks until you try them on the real rails, jumps, etc.

pro

Basically. At other mountains, like Stratton and Mountain Creek, to get access to the big park, you need to watch a video on safety and etiquette. MC also charges a small fee for the pass for the year. The video is pretty painless.

What, all 100 yards of that oh-so-challenging black diamond terrain that BC offers? While I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of restricting access to black diamonds, that's really a discussion for another time - we're talking about terrain parks right now.

This seems to be more of an age issue than what people have strapped to their feet issue IMHO. Younger kids are prone to either not realize what kind of a hazard they can be if they plop down right off the lift, or just don't care.

pro

Edited by Papasteeze

More great points. I think that the requirement of watching a video, will give emphasis and credibility to others when they try and help to inform people about "the rules"..

What does the requirement of a park pass hurt?

It can only help the progression.

Very good point. This way, the people who try to correct others don't look like assholes

More great points. I think that the requirement of watching a video, will give emphasis and credibility to others when they try and help to inform people about "the rules"..

What does the requirement of a park pass hurt?

It can only help the progression.

What happens to the kid who isn't allowed to go into the park because his parents don't want to pay an extra $10? Should he not be allowed to ever see what the park is all about, atleast until he has his own money.

Park passes might help the hard core park rats progress by keeping people out of the park, but it will limit the number of new people that try it...something to think about.

What happens to the kid who isn't allowed to go into the park because his parents don't want to pay an extra $10? Should he not be allowed to ever see what the park is all about, atleast until he has his own money.

Park passes might help the hard core park rats progress by keeping people out of the park, but it will limit the number of new people that try it...something to think about.

Typically, it is a token fee, not a per use fee. I would gladly pay lunch money to be in a park that is regulated. You may have missed that I feel every mountain should have a beginners park open to the general lift ticket. Besides, none of our mountains are so big that you can't at least glimpse views of what to expect from some other vantage point than on the trail

I wouldn't pay my lunch money to go in a park, but I don't think that should mean I shouldn't be able to be in a park (or a park with jumps that are bigger than 3 feet).

On the same note, you can think about Nastar the same way. I bet ski racing would take off if you let people run gates for free...

I bet ski racing would take off if you let people run gates for free...

I totally agree.. When I think of the exclusive regimin of ski racing gates comaparitively to playing in the park? (aside of Nastar and the Mountain Dew thing) I think it is reprehensible that parks are a free for all, but kids can't run some lousy gates freely with out some kind of huge multiple days of training before they are even allowed to see a gate. all under the auspice of good form... blahhhhh bla bla I say. no wonder everyone is in the park.

I totally agree.. When I think of the exclusive regimin of ski racing gates comaparitively to playing in the park? (aside of Nastar and the Mountain Dew thing) I think it is reprehensible that parks are a free for all, but kids can't run some lousy gates freely with out some kind of huge multiple days of training before they are even allowed to see a gate. all under the auspice of good form... blahhhhh bla bla I say. no wonder everyone is in the park.

I would be curiious to see what mountain freestyle teams do. If they just get there the first day and try to huck switch 9s, or if they work on good form too....

Anyone know?

Ok..Let's say they say you watch a video pay ten bucks and you get a pass.Who enforces the rules of the park?,and what are the penalties for breaking the rules.If I went up to someone and said "ya know,you really shouldn't be doing that" they would probably tell me to F-off.I VERY rarely see spotters at jumps.I see tons of riders going right behind each other while going off jumps or hitting rails.These people are as much a problem as the kiddies.I don't think the park can regulate itself.Attitudes would get in the way

Edited by 66Jazzmaster

Ok..Let's say they say you watch a video pay ten bucks and you get a pass.Who enforces the rules of the park?,and what are the penalties for breaking the rulesIf I went up to someone and said "ya know,you really shouldn't be doing that" they would probably tell me to F-off.I VERY rarely see spotters at jumps.I see tons of riders going right behind each other while going off jump or hitting rails.These people are as much a problem as the kiddies.I don't think the park can regulate it's self.Attitudes would get in the way

It has to start somewhere. Park passes will only help, they can't hurt. When you say "you shouldn't be doing that" then add, didn't you watch the video? You have then done your part. the video gives you credibility. There are always going to be smart mouth haters. The park can self- regulate itself but it needs examples to be able to follow, not much different than this message board self regulates.