PARK PASS!

Dr. Cheek

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just have ski patrol or even the park crew patrol the park and take these people that don't follow the rules aside and explain to them or warn them about what they are doing wrong. Catch them a few times doing something wrong and your pass gets clipped. It should be no different then any other part of the mountain.

A sign can be posted at the top of the parks with a list of rules. You break those rules and get caught your pass gets pulled.

Why not just have ski patrol or even the park crew patrol the park and take these people that don't follow the rules aside and explain to them or warn them about what they are doing wrong. Catch them a few times doing something wrong and your pass gets clipped. It should be no different then any other part of the mountain.

A sign can be posted at the top of the parks with a list of rules. You break those rules and get caught your pass gets pulled.

I have often wondered why they don't.. The most plausible explanantion I have heard is if ski patrol (generally speaking) had their way, they would shut down the entire park, they cringe at every manuever as being unsafe. So the converse seems to happen, they go outa their way to avoid the park..

I have often wondered why they don't.. The most plausible explanantion I have heard is if ski patrol (generally speaking) had their way, they would shut down the entire park, they cringe at every manuever as being unsafe. So the converse seems to happen, they go outa their way to avoid the park..

well they ARE right. every manuever is unsafe. But on the same note so is sliding down a snow covered hill with things atched to your feet is to. its all just part of being outside on the snow. you get what you put into your practice when you free ski you are basicly practing on being a better all around skier/rider and the same thing is goes for the park the more you practice the better you get the safer the moves that you pervelously learned become.

just my $0.02

If it wasn't for the skiers, there wouldn't be all the chairlifts for all the boarders... I hate the whole skiers vs boarders thing. A guy I work with who hasn't skied since the 80s asked me the other day,"Don't skiers hate snowboarders"...I was like "NO" I hate idiots. As for park passes I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm against them. It makes skiing and riding more of a bueracracy (sp?). If park passes are mandatory I want mandatory helmets, black diamond passes, and pay toilets...

what are lifts without sidecuts? haha, anyway, im not militant about it or anything, just defending my people.

that already happens man park crew has already clipped a pass for breaking regulations and there is a sign with rules on teh red posts st teh enterence to each park

Park Passes=Black Diamond Passes= Eventually they will have trails designated to slow skiing trails, similiar to friggin Blue. What of the moutain will be left?? Bear is already small compared to other mountains. But in my opionon far better (considering @ blue if your going a bit faster than a snail, they immediately rip you aside).

Why not try to resolve the issues, instead of ski patrol always riding over by the triple lift (where I see them 90% of the time), and have them patrol the park, pulling people who sit around in the park doing nothing (ah, visions of Blue's Berma Road... :pissed ) or people who just are complete morons in the park. I hate approaching jumps and some little kid (yes in general the 8 yr old population are pretty good at this) will decide he wants to get up and cuts me off. Or the people who congegate around a single rail and watch their buddies completely mess up and walk back up to the group, no one else can hit these rails with them sitting around them.

The black diamond to park analogy doesn't work. Parks have a BIG problem with begginers ruining it for everyone. No doubt there are beginners on the diamonds but there doesn't seem to be as many, causing issues as large. If a beginner falls on a black, you ride around them, if they fall full right after cutting you off for a jump, you can't hit the jump.

What can park passes hurt. They will be a hassle, although the benefit of a park passes far outweighs the hassle.

I think the video makes the most sense. Just something to get you thinking about ettiquete. I don't think it should cost more to ride the park.

Whoever made the comment about downhillers having right of way forgot to mention that when starting or merging on a trail (that would include people sitting around waiting for a feature) you look up hill for other people already coming. All in all it's just being more aware of your enviroment.

I would be curiious to see what mountain freestyle teams do. If they just get there the first day and try to huck switch 9s, or if they work on good form too....

Anyone know?

Montages freestyle team, works on jumps and rails and they teach park etiquette. They also teach bumps very well. They dont just go around hucking switch 9s.

i've been against the idea of a park pass for a long time. then i went to bear for the first time on a weekend this season(usually there midweek) and my opinions changed very quickly. there's no reason for parents in rental skis and jeans going over jumps(even small jumps) with their young child between their legs. as an instructor it also bothers me to see beginner lessons or any kind of lesson that isn't a park lesson going through the park or halfpipe(when it's cut, let's get on that already haha). i've told instructors they shouldn't be taking lessons through the park but they seem to think it's beneficial which in theory could be true, but in practice it's stupid, and they don't listen or care and i know many insructors(ski and board) have told people about this. so bring on the park pass, watch a video and pay $5 or $10 for a pass and solve these problems.

tonight was a primo example of why a park pass is needed. about a 1/4 of the way down the park some mom and her super young son ran my girlfriend into the woods and at the same time the kid fell. Next thing you know the overweight mom is waving a ski pole in her face.

Anyway, I'm heading to mountain creek on wednesday and will finally get to see the effectiveness of a park pass.

oh yeah, and bear is finally starting to get back to their former glory although the rollercoaster is stupidly short

tonight was a primo example of why a park pass is needed. about a 1/4 of the way down the park some mom and her super young son ran my girlfriend into the woods and at the same time the kid fell. Next thing you know the overweight mom is waving a ski pole in her face.

Anyway, I'm heading to mountain creek on wednesday and will finally get to see the effectiveness of a park pass.

oh yeah, and bear is finally starting to get back to their former glory although the rollercoaster is stupidly short

where was this at blue. or bear?

wednesday night i was going to hit the smaller jump on sidewinder and right after i jump off the lip some skier stops right where i was about to land so needless to say i hit him and we both wipe out. now this is were the fun starts i get up and tell the guy the he shouldnt be in the park and he flps me off and tells me he can do want he wants because he is a paying customer. so i told him that he shouldnt have stopped right where i was landing and yet again the i can do what i want attuide comes out. i started to get really pissed so i told him nicely to f off and have a great f-ing night. we really need park passes.

The black diamond to park analogy doesn't work. Parks have a BIG problem with begginers ruining it for everyone. No doubt there are beginners on the diamonds but there doesn't seem to be as many, causing issues as large. If a beginner falls on a black, you ride around them, if they fall full right after cutting you off for a jump, you can't hit the jump.

What can park passes hurt. They will be a hassle, although the benefit of a park passes far outweighs the hassle.

I think the video makes the most sense. Just something to get you thinking about ettiquete. I don't think it should cost more to ride the park.

I have to agree. You can't compare terrain parks to diamonds. On a diamond, like he said up there, you have enough time to go around them. If it's a park, you don't have so much control, especially if someone is right in your path of landing-It's a hazard to you and the person you're about to fall on top of. When you're in the air, or on a rail, you have limited control over where you're going to go-some tricks you even have to land blindly- you have to be able to trust your surroundings, but with people running wild getting in the way it can be dangerous. I'm all for park passes, even if it means an extra 5 bucks per season. Simply put, i think it's a great idea, and would promote safety.

At one point Elk did the "No rental skis in the park" bit...And as far as I could tell, it kept most noobs out.

Even if they just did this, it would at least help a lot. But then again, what about enforcement? Clip your ticket?

I've been politely telling people who are misusing park features the correct way to use them when I see it happen, and so far most people are pretty polite when they realize your intentions. Sure there are assholes who get in my face and get all big, but if you're just calm then they are usually fine and they blade away. I'm sure these people do the same stuff next run, but we are trying to do anything we can to keep people safe in the park, and the more they know about how they shouldn't stop under a landing to a jump we are landing switch off of, then the better the park will be for everyone. I'm gonna see if we can get a few guys from Blue's park crew to stand at the top of Sidewinder this weekend for a few hours and just talk to people. This way we can try to make up some smart style flyers we can give to families, we can talk to some of the riders and hear what they want to see out of the park, and just let people know that we are really trying.

Skitzo, sweet comment man. Way to be "defensive..."

I've been politely telling people who are misusing park features the correct way to use them when I see it happen, and so far most people are pretty polite when they realize your intentions. Sure there are assholes who get in my face and get all big, but if you're just calm then they are usually fine and they blade away. I'm sure these people do the same stuff next run, but we are trying to do anything we can to keep people safe in the park, and the more they know about how they shouldn't stop under a landing to a jump we are landing switch off of, then the better the park will be for everyone. I'm gonna see if we can get a few guys from Blue's park crew to stand at the top of Sidewinder this weekend for a few hours and just talk to people. This way we can try to make up some smart style flyers we can give to families, we can talk to some of the riders and hear what they want to see out of the park, and just let people know that we are really trying.

Skitzo, sweet comment man. Way to be "defensive..."

thats hillarious trevor.... but i like the idea of handing out flyers and talking to people... it will make the park alot better and people might not be such dicks as much

Sunday at bc was basically one of the worst days of riding. It was so frustrating it seemed like ppl were chillin on everything i wanted to hit. Little kids crawiling up the jumps. And weeks ago I read on this board that bc doesnt run ski and snowboard school through the terrain park. This was proven wrong on SUnday They took quite a few runs on Cascade and were fucking everything up for me and every1 else tryin to have a good time. BC needs to get park passes, and seriously needs to consider on how they r running there ski school.