First time at Montage

SkiUtah

I've skied almost every public ski area in the Pocono's and I skied Montage for the first time today.

Over all I was very disappointed. With just one high speed lift, and some good management this could be a great ski area.

Its hard to believe that about half the mountain isn't open. I know the pocono's had a rough week last week with the warm temperatures and rain, but I asked some locals and they said the longest lift and the whole side of the moutain it serves hasn't been open this year yet!

It was 19 degrees there today and there was no snow making going on!

What a shame...

ya actually it was a very windy day today..we were getting filmed by outdoor life in the park for 1 run and it was so cold..i took a total of 4 runs all day and i was there 6 and a half hours..i couldnt stand it..tomarrow it will be nice tho they should be blowing all night so ill be up hitting the fresh powder if they dont groom it early.

Who cares? Someone picks their first ever day to ski a mountain and they go on a holiday weekend after it's been 60 degrees with heavy rain and fog?

Hahahaha!

Any state or county owned ski area will have inferior snowmaking, so it's just stupid to expect a lot after RECORD warm weather.

BTW, I just got back after skiing the last two hours of the night and they are hitting Boomer and WL very hard with the Areco-type guns. 12 quick runs and I hardly saw another person on Cannonball or Smoke.

But thanks for the lousy review (we hate lift lines) and enjoy the rest of the season lined up with the masses and bus loads.

thats unfortunate... and they wonder why nobody goes there and they are having financial problems...

Just FYI, Montage has only lost money once in the last seven years. That was the year that all the Poconos were hit with 60's and rain during XMas week. Just because a business doesn't turn a huge profit doesn't mean there are financial problems. The county ownership is more than happy with breaking even each year.

Now, imagine CB or Blue happy with just breaking even. They'd stop advertising as much and give less discounts, so skier visits would drop off. Instead of 8,000 people on a Saturday afternoon, there would only be 4,500. Now, don't you wish CB and Blue were in that situation?

And snow quality? CB, Blue, Elk and all the rest have much worse snow quality after noon just about every day of the season.

It's okay to trash Montage...it's a little silly...but trash away.

Who cares? Someone picks their first ever day to ski a mountain and they go on a holiday weekend after it's been 60 degrees with heavy rain and fog?

Hahahaha!

Any state or county owned ski area will have inferior snowmaking, so it's just stupid to expect a lot after RECORD warm weather.

BTW, I just got back after skiing the last two hours of the night and they are hitting Boomer and WL very hard with the Areco-type guns. 12 quick runs and I hardly saw another person on Cannonball or Smoke.

But thanks for the lousy review (we hate lift lines) and enjoy the rest of the season lined up with the masses and bus loads.

Just FYI, Montage has only lost money once in the last seven years. That was the year that all the Poconos were hit with 60's and rain during XMas week. Just because a business doesn't turn a huge profit doesn't mean there are financial problems. The county ownership is more than happy with breaking even each year.

Now, imagine CB or Blue happy with just breaking even. They'd stop advertising as much and give less discounts, so skier visits would drop off. Instead of 8,000 people on a Saturday afternoon, there would only be 4,500. Now, don't you wish CB and Blue were in that situation?

And snow quality? CB, Blue, Elk and all the rest have much worse snow quality after noon just about every day of the season.

It's okay to trash Montage...it's a little silly...but trash away.

I wish i knew how to put up the word smiley. But since i cant, WORD.

Not to be negative about anywhere else, especially Booter Mnt., but we just have different priorities and expectations at Montage...

And one of these would change everything:

quad.jpg

ya that would be nice but i dont think we need a 6 person lift..4 is enough we have no lift lines to begin with.but that black pull over thingy will help alot whenthere making snow on smoke and its blowing ur ur face.but from what i hear montage is getting a high speed quad next year..but dont mark my words or anything its just what i hear.

Where did you hear those rumors about a high speed lift? I've been dropping stuff in the suggestion box about that for a few years now. Maybe they'll name it after me. :P

ya weve been doing it to for like 2 years now..but idn either one of my friends told me or the park dudes im not sure..but i know were getting a half pipe next year cause there cutting it in the summer.

Its hard to believe that about half the mountain isn't open. I know the pocono's had a rough week last week with the warm temperatures and rain, but I asked some locals and they said the longest lift and the whole side of the moutain it serves hasn't been open this year yet!

It was 19 degrees there today and there was no snow making going on!

What a shame...

Its not hard to believe the whole other side of the mtn isnt open, when you no that montage doesnt have any snowmaking over there. They just use portable fan guns, and they dont have tower guns everywere.

Before you judge them for not making snow yesterday, at least no why they didnt. The night before the water all froze in the pipes, and then they lost power until about opening.

So before you judge at least no some facts. And thanks for the bad rant, we love it.

but i know were getting a half pipe next year cause there cutting it in the summer.

I know they said that, but Montages upper staff hates the park guys, so i dont no if they are gunna get a pipe next year.

i havent been to montage in a while, and its sad to hear that their lackluster efforts of snow making are still persisting.

this weekend it will be good..if u wanna go up either go friday or saturday in the say time..its supposta rain saturday night so i bet sunday wont be to good.

i havent been to montage in a while, and its sad to hear that their lackluster efforts of snow making are still persisting.

What are you talking about lack luster.Boo woo they didnt blow during the day when Ski Utah was there, because the pipes were frozen. But they blew that night all the way through two mornings.

What are you talking about lack luster.Boo woo they didnt blow during the day when Ski Utah was there, because the pipes were frozen. But they blew that night all the way through two mornings.

you honestly believe montage blows snow whenever temperatures permit when it is need of new snow?

No, but they couldnt during the time when SkiUtah was there. The snowmaking lines were all frozen, so there was no way the could make snow. So they kinda have an excuse.

usually their reason is lack of manpower, which can only be solved by more cashflow. its not their fault, but its not putting snow on the slopes.

No, but they couldnt during the time when SkiUtah was there. The snowmaking lines were all frozen, so there was no way the could make snow. So they kinda have an excuse.

well whose fault is it that the lines were frozen? they obviously didnt blow all the excess water out of them when they were done. stuff liek that really shouldnt be happening.

I can't speak for montage specifically, but I think most mountains keep water running through the main lines to keep it from freezing. It would be inefficient to blow out a 6" pipe every morning. If the pump dies because of a power outage then there is nothing they can do. But like I said, I don't know if that is what actually happened.

The air and water are in two deferent lines. They would have to hook up an air line to the water line, and there is a ton of water in the main lines so it would take quite a bit air to blow it out. Maybe one of the snowmakers can clarify. I can't quite remember where I got my info but I think it is credible.