CB closed AGAIN

Timeless

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the lady who runs CB's message board, CB is partially open today. The quads are down, tho.

The thing that pisses me off, is that they are trying to decive (sp?) people looking at the website and seeing 17 trails. They say they have 3 lifts and 2 of them are for the bunny hill and one is for the meadows, which you can only acess meadows and park. so you can only ski on 2 trails, which is a waste. Anybody know how much they charge?

you're pissed because they aren't open on a wednesday for night skiing, when 3+inches of rain have fallen, 60+ mph winds, and bare spots on the mountain?

Dude, they are a business... do you think that they don't want to be open? Consider for a moment what 50 million dollars looks like. Think about how it would be if you had just made that investment and gotten in less than 2 weeks of packed paying customers...

you think they are closing down without any hurt in their hearts and pocketbooks?

If they could reasonably be open and make a profit(hell, even breaking even would be nice) they would be open. Bare spots on the mountain, slush, ice, no real snow...

the LAST thing they need is to be open today. someone would complain that camelback was controlling the weather and didn't throw enough thongs on a tree--so God hates us all and isn't bringing snow. calm down, warm up by the fire. Watch some Warren Miller films...

they'll be open before you know it.

you're pissed because they aren't open on a wednesday for night skiing, when 3+inches of rain have fallen, 60+ mph winds, and bare spots on the mountain?

Dude, they are a business... do you think that they don't want to be open? Consider for a moment what 50 million dollars looks like. Think about how it would be if you had just made that investment and gotten in less than 2 weeks of packed paying customers...

you think they are closing down without any hurt in their hearts and pocketbooks?

If they could reasonably be open and make a profit(hell, even breaking even would be nice) they would be open. Bare spots on the mountain, slush, ice, no real snow...

the LAST thing they need is to be open today. someone would complain that camelback was controlling the weather and didn't throw enough thongs on a tree--so God hates us all and isn't bringing snow. calm down, warm up by the fire. Watch some Warren Miller films...

they'll be open before you know it.

I didnt say i was pissed because they werent open .. i said i was pissed because they lie and say they have 17 trails open when in reality they have 2.

I didnt say i was pissed because they werent open .. i said i was pissed because they lie and say they have 17 trails open when in reality they have 2.

and I wasn't speaking directly to you. I was talking more along general complaining lines. people always threaten to take their business elsewhere.

how are you going to do that? buy a season pass elsewhere? :confused

just cut your losses. it's one freakin day. you have at least 90 decent days of winter per year, give or take... I seriously doubt that this drought is going to ruin your life. Don't be pissed at Camelback for preserving what little mountain there is for PAYING(yes, I mean those that don't already have a comp ticket or season pass--those who CONTINUE to bring money) customers.

Think about the math here... 200 non paying/season pass holding day skiers/riders. most of which don't pay for food there, most of which order their gear online... think about the cost of staffing camelback... we're talking HUGE costs. It barely warrants staying open during the week, unless it's a holiday--or the conditions are right.

Consider how many people visit on an average Saturday, consider 90% of them aren't season passholders... we're talking 900% more money to be made on a weekend, not including food/gear/etc...

so, I ask you... from a business standpoint, why shoot themselves in the foot to please those that will complain about it anyway--all the while ruining the mountain for PAYING customers?

If camelback was 100% open today, you'd be hitting bare patches, ice patches, 65mph winds, rain dumping on you... and you are telling me that these are anything BUT conditions that warrant closing?

Assassin:

I agree with some of your points, but take exception to your notion that passholders are not paying customers. Between season's passes, treasure packs for visitors, food, overpriced hand warmers, coaching fees, NASTAR and tuning costs our family spends several thousands dollars a year at CB. You may want to rethink your notion that we aren't paying customers. To say it's not cost effective to keep the mountain open on days when passholders are the predominant skier type is ridiculous

Assassin:

I agree with some of your points, but take exception to your notion that passholders are not paying customers. Between season's passes, treasure packs for visitors, food, overpriced hand warmers, coaching fees, NASTAR and tuning costs our family spends several thousands dollars a year at CB. You may want to rethink your notion that we aren't paying customers. To say it's not cost effective to keep the mountain open on days when passholders are the predominant skier type is ridiculous

yes, but they have your money already....

Assuming that Ass' is the same as from the CB board, I think he is an employee, which may explain his defensiveness, but it's scary to hear the "we have you money so it doesn't matter what you think" attitude from him if that's true.

Ass'

I agree with everything you said from a business perspective, season pass holders are not going to provide much cashflow compared to the NJ/NY hoards that come for weekends, it is a business and their priority is profit, simple as that.

I think he is an employee, which may explain his defensiveness, but it's scary to hear the "we have you money so it doesn't matter what you think" attitude from him if that's true.

Ass'

I agree with everything you said from a business perspective, season pass holders are not going to provide much cashflow compared to the NJ/NY hoards that come for weekends, it is a business and their priority is profit, simple as that.

I was speaking more from the perspective of someone on the outside. I share no stake in Camelback making a profit. From a pure business standpoint, today was a good day to be closed. Not to mention the conditions that we will have tonight. I understand that season pass holders pay for those passes. Going skiing/riding every day would add up pretty fast...

think about 30 bucks for 90 days per year(AT LEAST) your season pass pays for itself within 10 visits. Considering a good portion of you go up there almost every day from 7am to close, I think you probably get your money worth, eh?

Consider how much those people who come for just a weekend spend at Camelback... we're talking thousands per family over the course of a full week. Multiply that times the number of families on the slopes and you have serious business. I guess what I am saying, is that they need to preserve the slopes for those who will have 3 days all year to ski/ride... not everyone can BE at Camelback for first tracks and not everyone has enough time/energy to devote to being on a team.

Why stay open on a bad day with noone on the mountain(which there really wasn't today) and not spend that time grooming and blowing snow if you get the chance? If they don't take this time now, they might have to take it later--a weekend, perhaps... they lose more business by being closed on a weekend.

it's not a "we've got your money already" situation, but I mean honestly... they do have your money. And you DO get rendered services for your money that you spend. I dunno, I guess I'm just not as picky, given the choices we have around these parts.

Assassin:

Many passholders give CB far more money than the comparable one-timers. If you want to add in housing as you did for the day trippers, the amount of money we have given CB would make your head spin. And, what makes you assume we all hang out on the slopes all week - I have to work during the week to pay for the luxury of being a weekend warrior, just like the day pass holders do.

If the winter was a total washout, CB would be in trouble without the passholders. In my opinion, it's good business practice to keep the place open at the times it is slated to be open. Not to act as if we have no value because this years pass is already paid for.

Ok so i work at cb and the reason that they are closed is safty reasons even tho it was 40 every were else it was 30 there. The slopes all glazed over with ice and they wanted to get an early start with the groomers tonight so they can provide the best conditions allowable for tomorrow. I know it sucks but there just trying to keep it safe.

The problem here is not whether or not it was a good business decision. There saving money by closing, and today they did have an excuse to close. But thats not the issue. The issue is that they don't care about their customers. They seem to make that very clear. And quite frankly I don't care about the people that only go three days a year. They don't know the difference between good and bad snow, they care more about the lodge, so why cater to to them. It seems like Camelback doesn't get the fact that keeping your regular customers happy is a huge part of business.

[EDIT] I do understand that there was a real saftey concern tonight because of the unusual circumstances. What I am commenting on is a bigger problem that CB seems to have.

Edited by pyro_boarder

Ok so i work at cb and the reason that they are closed is safty reasons even tho it was 40 every were else it was 30 there. The slopes all glazed over with ice and they wanted to get an early start with the groomers tonight so they can provide the best conditions allowable for tomorrow. I know it sucks but there just trying to keep it safe.

so they closed because of ice? big deal, its the poconos, thats all we have.

Yeah, save the sympathetic garbage about being closed for the Ski Area Management forum. Our ski hill is only open Fri/Sat/Sun/Holidays because we cater to newbies that only come up on weekends to maximize profit.

Anyone that truly believes ski areas should shut down because it rained a little the day before is a stinkin' commi pinko squirrel eater. I got home early from my assignment and could be gently swaying on a chairlift right now.

I'd think keeping the returning customers happy is good business. There is a never ending supply of one-timers, so one wouldn't think they'd take priority.

I can't argue with CBs recent limitations - last weekend I almost got my feet blown out from under me by the winds. I'm mostly just trying to figure where ass' is coming from with the idea that it's inefficient to keep the mountain open during the week unless the conditions are optimal. And that passholders have no real value.

I'd think keeping the returning customers happy is good business. There is a never ending supply of one-timers, so one wouldn't think they'd take priority.

I can't argue with CBs recent limitations - last weekend I almost got my feet blown out from under me by the winds. I'm mostly just trying to figure where ass' is coming from with the idea that it's inefficient to keep the mountain open during the week unless the conditions are optimal. And that passholders have no real value.

1) could youi imagine if the only time you could ski was on a weekend? it would be even moer crowded than it is now, and honestly, it would suck. you wouldnt be able to enjoy yourself if you had to wait in lines longer than they already are. i hate skiing on the weekends unless its early in the morning because it gets crowded and there are tons of people who suck.

2) what about ski clubs that schools have? it pretty much doesnt allow them to participate in these great oportunities for school kids to learn how to ski. if it wasnt for ski clubs on tuesday nights when i was in 4th-6th grade i probably wouldnt be skiing right now.

i dont know where somebody would get the crazy idea that it isnt worth keeping a mountain open during the week...

It seems colder in Camelback's area than Blue this afternoon.

Temps at the reporting station closest to Camelback:

9 PM Jan 18 28.0 (-2.2) W 20

8 PM Jan 18 28.0 (-2.2) W 24

7 PM Jan 18 28.0 (-2.2) W 26

6 PM Jan 18 28.9 (-1.7) W 25

5 PM Jan 18 28 (-2) 17 W 22 light snow

4 PM Jan 18 30 (-1) 21 W 26 light snow

3 PM Jan 18 30 (-1) 19 W 28

2 PM Jan 18 32.0 (0.0) W 29 light snow

1 PM Jan 18 33.1 (0.6) W 20

Temps at the reporting station closest to Blue:

9 PM Jan 18 36.0 (2.2) WSW 15

8 PM Jan 18 36.0 (2.2) WSW 15

7 PM Jan 18 36.0 (2.2) WSW 14

6 PM Jan 18 36.0 (2.2) W 16

5 PM Jan 18 37.0 (2.8) W 20

4 PM Jan 18 39.0 (3.9) WSW 24

3 PM Jan 18 39 (4) 24 W 26 haze

2 PM Jan 18 39 (4) 30 W 24

1 PM Jan 18 41.0 (5.0) W 13 light rain

Booter is lower in elevation and farther south than Camelback, si they are just about always cooler than Camelback..

Which would mean the ice they are worried about (assuming that is what you ment with safety) would be at CB, and not at blue.

Detachable quads and ice, don't work very well.

Anyway, from a bussiness standpoint, CB lost probably 30 bus loads of schools tonight, 30x40 (people on a bus) is 1,200 noobs...That is well worth staying open for, if they can. Assuming they didn't all cancel