Line Prophet 80's

sibhusky

Siblet's boyfriend is thinking of switching from snowboarding to skiing next year. He was asking me about what kind of equipment he should buy, but given his age I think he'd probably prefer freestyle or freeride skis. Plus for a few weeks anyway, I'll be a better skier than he is, so I don't know what he should get. He asked me about the Line Prophet 80's. How good would these skis be for someone who'll want to go off groomed as soon as he can link turns and be TRYING to keep up with Siblet? (I am sure he has decided that the snowboard is NOT the right equipment for that.) He'll mostly be skiing Bridger Bowl, which has either high back country chutes or boring groomed or lots of moguls.

For where you guys live your best bet is to just take a look at skis you see the experts in the liftline wearing. These days, you don't see to many people who spend the majority of their time off-piste riding anything with less than a 90mm waist. If I was coming out there, I'd be bringing my Dynastar Big Troubles, which have a 92 waist, and if it snowed alot I'd probably prefer something with even more waist. However, you shot yourself in the foot with "lots of moguls." You're going to find that anything over an 80mm waist is gonna be horrible in the bumps. There is just to much ski underfoot to do the quick turns in moguls that aren't soft and fresh. Basically, once he gets good hes gonna wish he had something bigger for the 30" dump days, and hes gonna wish he had something smaller when theres a drought and all anyones skiing is bumps. Maybe look at some skis in the mid 80's ranges, like the Foil from Salomon, or the Public Enemy from K2. There are a ton out there, almost to many. Just find a good deal and go with it, after a season of skiing out there, he'll know what he wants after hangin out and talking with the local skiers.

For where you guys live your best bet is to just take a look at skis you see the experts in the liftline wearing. These days, you don't see to many people who spend the majority of their time off-piste riding anything with less than a 90mm waist. If I was coming out there, I'd be bringing my Dynastar Big Troubles, which have a 92 waist, and if it snowed alot I'd probably prefer something with even more waist. However, you shot yourself in the foot with "lots of moguls." You're going to find that anything over an 80mm waist is gonna be horrible in the bumps. There is just to much ski underfoot to do the quick turns in moguls that aren't soft and fresh. Basically, once he gets good hes gonna wish he had something bigger for the 30" dump days, and hes gonna wish he had something smaller when theres a drought and all anyones skiing is bumps. Maybe look at some skis in the mid 80's ranges, like the Foil from Salomon, or the Public Enemy from K2. There are a ton out there, almost to many. Just find a good deal and go with it, after a season of skiing out there, he'll know what he wants after hangin out and talking with the local skiers.

Well said. Also Vokl Karma, or maybe a Line Mothership.

For where you guys live your best bet is to just take a look at skis you see the experts in the liftline wearing.
Slight problem, the season's over and I think he's looking for off season deals...

. However, you shot yourself in the foot with "lots of moguls." You're going to find that anything over an 80mm waist is gonna be horrible in the bumps. There is just to much ski underfoot to do the quick turns in moguls that aren't soft and fresh.

Most of our moguls here are not the hard icy things you see back east.

Basically, once he gets good hes gonna wish he had something bigger for the 30" dump days, and hes gonna wish he had something smaller when theres a drought and all anyones skiing is bumps. Maybe look at some skis in the mid 80's ranges, like the Foil from Salomon, or the Public Enemy from K2. There are a ton out there, almost to many. Just find a good deal and go with it, after a season of skiing out there, he'll know what he wants after hangin out and talking with the local skiers.

I've been kind of pushing the PE.

Edited by sibhusky

I'm not sure a Line ski would be the best choice. Line is more of a freestyle oriented company and if he's going to be hitting up more bowls than pipes, he might want to look for a different brand all together.

I'm not sure a Line ski would be the best choice. Line is more of a freestyle oriented company and if he's going to be hitting up more bowls than pipes, he might want to look for a different brand all together.

That doesnt matter one bit. As seeing Line was the first company to have a ski with a 130mm waist. I think they have what it takes for a nice mid fat ski.

Yeah don't discount Lines big mountain offerings. I haven't been to Montana since I was very young, so I don't know what the scene there is. In Utah, Line, Volkl, and Dynastars legend series are extremely popular. I had no problems on my Big Troubles, which like I said have a 92mm waist, on softer bumps in Europe. Anything back East forget about it. I think he'd be happiest with something 85mm plus. If he decides to stick with skiing, and starts skiing with a crew that is all on 95mm plus skis, hes going to want to bump up because he won't be able to keep up. Everyone I've known with the Salomon Foils, K2 Public Enemies, and Line Chronic Wides loves them, so right now those would be my suggestions.

The Salomon Foil's are a great ski! They are 85 under foot, and handle everything from bumps to moderate pow, and they also rip up the groomed stuff when you want to put them on edge and carve stuff up! I've got a pair of 174's with S910TI Bindings that I might be looking to sell for around 350 + shipping. It's a great ski for anyone!

Let me know if you're interested.

174's with S910TI Bindings

This is probably the lightest setup of any freeride ski out there that is off-piste/powder worthy. Definitely worth it if the skis are in good shape. Shipping will cost anywhere between $35 and $60 dollars w/ insurance.

The Salomon Foil's are a great ski! They are 85 under foot, and handle everything from bumps to moderate pow, and they also rip up the groomed stuff when you want to put them on edge and carve stuff up! I've got a pair of 174's with S910TI Bindings that I might be looking to sell for around 350 + shipping. It's a great ski for anyone!

Let me know if you're interested.

There was a typo in that guys... The Bindings are the S912TI's not the 910 like I typed. They're in pretty good condition. They have about 75 days on them, so they show some wear, but I took care of them, and you're right. They are very light for a ski of that size.

if he's never skied before, the prophet 80 is going to seem super touchy to him. as far as freeride skis go, its pretty stiff over, and therefore more critical of the skier than a lot of other skis, but if you know how to use that to your advantage, its a solid ski. since you guys have real snow and dont need something rock solid torsionally like we do here, the foils, the 05-06 or newer rossi scratch fs, 05-06 or newer k2 PE, head mojo 90, or an old pair of line motherships would work out well. how tall and how much does he weigh? i can give you some more specifics if i know a little more.

If you go Salomon, go new. 75 days is like 4 or 5 seasons for the average skier. I don't know many 3 or 4 year old skis go for over $350... More like $150 tops.

Yeah you're right... :(

I was just hoping for some sort of a return on them. If anyone's interested make me an offer.

they are still great skis though, i have over 80 days on mine and still i love them just as much. yay for Salomon Foils.

You've got that right! I'd keep them, but I need boat parts! I'm planning on getting some again next year. But probably this years model again. Next years looks like the people from American Eagle designed them!

yeah they look like clown skis. they should be the design for their snowblades, thats how hideous they look...

from what i hear they are still going to be selling the same model from this year too because of all the negative reviews they got about the new design on them.... so i just got next years scratch's

if he's never skied before, the prophet 80 is going to seem super touchy to him. as far as freeride skis go, its pretty stiff over, and therefore more critical of the skier than a lot of other skis, but if you know how to use that to your advantage, its a solid ski. since you guys have real snow and dont need something rock solid torsionally like we do here, the foils, the 05-06 or newer rossi scratch fs, 05-06 or newer k2 PE, head mojo 90, or an old pair of line motherships would work out well. how tall and how much does he weigh? i can give you some more specifics if i know a little more.

6 foot and about 170 lbs. Now he's asking about the Salomon Foil.

6 foot and about 170 lbs. Now he's asking about the Salomon Foil.

foils would work out pretty well for his size. he's not super heavy, so a lighter ski like the foil can work well for him. its also an easier ski to ski since he isnt an advanced skier yet, but he will still be able to use it once his abilities improve. at his height and weight, he could go either for the 174 or 182. height wise, i would go 182, but weight and ability make me lean more towards the 174.