Which Ski/snowboard Shop

skifreak

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey justo any idea when whitehall is going to be reopening? I was wondering because I'm in the market for a new pair of skis and don't feel like running to quakertown. Also what store are you going to be working at once whitehall opens?

he said he'll be working at whitehall....im pretty sure it should be opening soon....or at least i hope it does..i need new boots! :yes

i have a friend that just got a job at sports authority. he just found out that sports authority recently teamed up with a chain of sports stores out west. so they have upgraded their winter sports gear. he told me that they are even going to begin carrying burton,; so i dunno about other gear or even ski gear, but sounds like you could save a few bucks there if they have what you want.

if your looking for a great online/mailorder company to get snowboard stuff i strongly recomend www.eternalsnow.com . they have a great selection, and are very quick to get there shipments out. check em out.

...a reason people find us more expensive than other shops in general is because for the most part (the loft excluded) other shops dont carry as high quality a product as we do. for example, pelican carries atomic. atomic is currently the cheapest ski on the market to produce, therefore it can be solf for less all the way down the line to the consumer.

Uh, you may be confusing the terms high quality and high prices. Could you suggest a higher quality ski than the Atomic GS:11, SL:11, R:11, SupercrossB5, Metron M:ex or M:10? So the logic behind not carrying argueably the best line of skis is because they are cheaper to produce? Perhaps Pelican is on to something!

BTW, the owner of Pelican (or founder, since he may be dead by now) is scumbag #1. As a kid, he hired me and my friends to sell skis in the original Whitehouse, NJ, store. We show up and he has vans that take us to his house where we were handed shovels and did slave freaking labor for $3.35 an hour and didn't have any way back to our cars.

Ski companies continue to price fix to protect small and medium shops. It's also why you can't buy real skis at Walmart or from an online store (other than close-outs). The moment that practice ends, every little ski shop will go belly up. I like to wander around ski shops, but Sib is dead-on: shop guys push what benefits them, or what gear they happen to like. If you plan on spending $1000 on new gear, how about first spending $5 on a Ski Mag Buyers Guide issue which pretty much guarantees you'll then know AS MUCH AS 98% of shop guys. The Buyers Guide simply breaks down what kind of skier you are and matches you to a group of skis. What more can you ask for? And then go demo.

Since ski boots are designed for skiing and not walk around a showroom, I certainly hope EVERY shop will work with you to fit your boot. I don't think I've ever bought a boot that I couldn't bring back in for adjustment. Are your heel lifters free?

And the foam core v. wood core arguement is absurd. A well made ski with a foam core is better than a poorly constructed wood core ski; and vice versa.

If I buy skis from your shop, ski them hard for 30 days and decide I don't like them, you guys will swap them for another set of brand new boards by Jan. 31st? No extra charge and no other strings? That's pretty amazing. Props for that.

Actually, as a middle-aged woman, I'd have to say that 95% of the sales people in ski shops spend their time talking down to me as a skier.  Most ski shop guys know the stuff that fits THEM and just stereotype anyone else who walks in...like they've got a book that says "accountant = cruiser" or "gray hair = aspiring carver" and they don't spend the time actually getting the true scoop on a person's style and ability.

That's probably the main reason I feel you have to DEMO DEMO DEMO, because rarely does the "recommended" ski meet your requirements.

sib, I see the same thing with my girlfriend at the snowboard shops. For two months a year over the last 5 years, I spend countless hours doing very detailed technical analysis on snowboards and the upcoming lines that are being offered by the various manufacturers, so I am extremely knowledgeable about the technical aspects of board construction and what is out there on the market today. As a result, much of this has rubbed off on my girlfriend and she is extremely intelligent when it comes to equipment.

I find, though, that it still takes about 15 minutes before the guys at a shop stop talking to her like she's a "dumb blond" who spends her days on the bunny hills before retreating to the lodge for an afternoon of hot chocolate.

Many shop people are arrogant to begin with. On top of that, pretty much all snowboarders have at least a bit of cockiness when it comes to riding. Put the two together and you enter very dangerous, annoying territory.

i have a friend that just got a job at sports authority. he just found out that sports authority recently teamed up with a chain of sports stores out west. so they have upgraded their winter sports gear. he told me that they are even going to begin carrying burton,; so i dunno about other gear or even ski gear, but sounds like you could save a few bucks there if they have what you want.

if your looking for a great online/mailorder company to get snowboard stuff i strongly recomend www.eternalsnow.com . they have a great selection, and are very quick to get there shipments out. check em out.

Hey jib- I was at sports authority a few weeks ago and they said to me something about a tent sale for there ski/snowboard stuff I think they call it "sniagrab" " (bargains spelled backwords) and they said it being sometime in October. I was at the Petsmart in whitehall yesterday and in Sports authorities parking lot they had a tent set up. Is there any way you can ask your friend if the sale is going to be this weekend?

i think they are expanding their ski equiptment as well. it sounds to me like it is a total winter sports expansion. i just know that in particular they plan to carry burton.

does ANYONE know a store around here, or a place online i can find Atomic SL:11's for a decent price....my #1 place for atomics, has NO SL or GS 11's in stock (emilio's in NY) im bummed, and eBay isn't too hot right now, though today a possible pair popped up :devil::ugh2gay:

does ANYONE know a store around here, or a place online i can find Atomic SL:11's for a decent price....my #1 place for atomics, has NO SL or GS 11's in stock (emilio's in NY) im bummed, and eBay isn't too hot right now, though today a possible pair popped up  :devil:  :ugh2gay:

Atomic dealers within an hour or so of you:

Pinnacle 610-921-2371

Ski Bum 610-459-4778

Warming Hut 610-433-6051

Warming Hut #2 610-432-2323

Pelican 215-538-2922

Petersons 570-646-9223

Loft 570-586-7750

Salters 610-539-8003

REI 610-940-0809

Pelican 908-534-2400

Wicks 610-363-1893

Langhorne Shi Shop 215-295-4240

Sports People 908-234-2232

Country 570-824-0541

Ski Barn 609-530-1666

If a ski isn't in stock, any dealer can call NH and get it---that is, if there are any left in the warhouse. Atomic has gone to the trouble of contacting dealers in the region to find out who has what. Sounding desperate is not the best way to get a good deal, btw. I sure learned that.

No, I didn't mean you sounded desperate---but that I've been desperate while trying to replace race skis, or upgrade too late in the season, and they nailed me. I waited to buy my my Winter Heat bump skis right before a mogul event and the place got me for over $600, without bindings because they had to order them. Like picking up a phone to your supplier and having UPS Ground ship them should cost $150?

Atomic- I was thinking about buying these but they were too big for me they are in 183cm http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...116149&tc=photo starting bid is only $249 and so far there are no bidders on them and only a day left so check it out. I would get them but I'm looking for something around 170 or a hair above or below.

Btw jib- I called sports authority and they said the tent sale is next saturday 10/9 it starts.

Atomic- I was thinking about buying these but they were too big for me they are in 183cm http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...116149&tc=photo starting bid is only $249 and so far there are no bidders on them and only a day left so check it out. I would get them but I'm looking for something around 170 or a hair above or below.

Btw jib- I called sports authority and they said the tent sale is next saturday 10/9 it starts.

that ski in that length is too big for anyone!

ski999 skis that in a 171, and im looking at 176, at the max! I couldn't imagine that in 183, and i thought it came in 181?

Jeff, thats what a 15 year old is supposed to be able to ski for USSA.  ;)

FIS regulated slalom ski lengths because grown men on 155's looked stupid. That's a translated quote. And I bet some World Cup men would be skiing 180's for GS if it was legal, 'Dude.

183 is long. What you're seeing on EBay is a place that buys up unsold overstock dirt cheap and sells it at good prices. It's a good price, but what difference does it make if it's too long, you know? The forerunner of the GS:11, the 10.22, can still be found all over the place in 190ish sizes for about $200. Mine were about $700 a few years ago.

The GS:11 in either 171 or 176 is a perfect length for most people. The ski is so stable that you can run it balls out and it won't chatter, even in short lengths. It's a perfect world when a short, easy to turn ski can be raced at high speed.

If you plan on skiing big mountains, then 183 could be just fine. That's a different planet than the East Coast. And pesky little Rangers would never catch you in a Chinese Downhill.

I know how in the world do they expect someone that age to ski a ski that dam big :confused I mean what if you weren't that tall or heavy how do they expect you to ski that is way to big for you?

A lot of coaches asked the same question. There is no good answer. Putting junior racers on skis that don't fit them is wrong and potentially dangerous. Perhaps it's a way of killing off the weak and small.

Exactly ski that is what I mean that is how people get hurt by skiing on stuff that is way to big for them. They ruin there knees and ankles when they fall. Its the same thing with the "thrifty" skier buying skis and boots that are way too big for them and in the end they just get injured. I don't see how the ussa comes up with these farfetched regulations every year they just get longer. Its rediculious its like putting a four year old on 160cm skis!

USSA followed the FIS regulations, which started a big fight. USSA just posted a "letter" from a former US Ski Teamer that explains their official position. They claim it's for safety reasons that they require the longer skis. That longer skis will force a better, forward position, etc...

Their arguement misses a question a lot of parents have: if a 175cm ski is the perfect length for a 145 lb., 5'7", 19-year-old J1, then how is it also the perfect ski for a 4'10" 90 lb. first-year J2?

Common sense is not all that common.