Which Ski/snowboard Shop

skifreak

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I've only been to the loft a couple of times, I just go to nestors because its close to me. I wounder when the whitehall store is going to reopen.

that was my ski shop of choice, it was the shop of the year in the east....itll open before next ski season :P

It was never Nestors after they wouldn't give me a discount for either living at the Village (Ray always did...when he charged me, AND the Loft did as well) or for having a kid on the team (the Loft). Plus the prices were way high, as well.

I wish there was a place here as good as the Loft.

Nestors is WAY over priced on 90% of their stuff. Although when they have a sale the HAVE A SALE! You can get some good deals at their sales. Mainly cause a small store like that takes a huge hurting when keeping that much invintory. So they tend to unload stuff as cheap as they can while at least covering their costs. However, regular priced items are rediculous. I must say though that i purchased my current board there only cause it was the only place within like 50miles i could get an m3 from (at the time). Also, dont ever listen to their advice when it comes to climbing gear! I swear, they employee pretty helpful/compitant people for ever department, but it seems every time i go to buy climbing gear there they are clueless. Sorry, but id like to buy life saveing gear from someone who realizes u cant climb with those key chain beaners. ay yay yay :banghead

havent been in there in two seasons. the last time i was in there they put on a stomp pad on for me and told me it was good enough adhesive to go ride on it right away. 2 runs down i look at my board and it is gone. i have a few buddies that frequently get the 5 finger discount though. not me, im a good boy. :halo

• 3 months later...

ok, i work at nestors, so obviously i am going to say thats the shop to go to around here. i think i am right in saying that, and i have ski magazine to back me up. we dont overcharge on anything, except maybe shop services ($40 for a full tune, $45 for a mount is a bit much i think), everything we sell cannot go below minimum advertised price unless there is a sale. that is a contractual agreement any respectable shop makes with the companies they carry, and is a ski industry standard. a reason people find us more expensive than other shops in general is because for the most part (the loft excluded) other shops dont carry as high quality a product as we do. for example, pelican carries atomic. atomic is currently the cheapest ski on the market to produce, therefore it can be solf for less all the way down the line to the consumer. on the other end of that argument though, you get what you pay for. foam injected ski with a semi load bearing cap with a core that breaks down after 30 days on the snow, or a wood/metal laminate ski that will continue to ski the same as the day you bought it two years from now? for $50 or $100 more, i'd take the second choice. also, every boot or ski you buy from us comes with a garuantee that the boot will fit you, and the ski will perform well for you. if you find otherwise, bring the boot back in, we will work on it to make it fit or put you in a different boot, or if you find that the ski is too stiff, too soft, or otherwise not right for your type of skiing, bring it back in before the end of january and we will swap it out for another one of comparable price. so you get what you pay for.

:confused did i hear something negative about atomic? :devil:

the truth is though, atomic makes some of the best skis on the market, hands down. Ski999 and I both love our atomics to death, hell, Ski999's jeep is "atomic red". You may be talking about the lowerline of atomic skis, but I'd only buy atomic race skis, which i've skiied mine for about 40 days on the snow, and they're still as perfect as they were from day one. you may sell the skis, but i ski them :D

the truth is though, atomic makes some of the best skis on the market, hands down.  Ski999 and I both love our atomics to death,

Yeah so does Volkl, Elan, Salomon, Fisher, K2, Dynistar (sp?), and Nortica....And anyone else I forgot :P

Its good that you love your skis, but just remember there number 3, behind Volkl and Elan, and well maybe a few other things.

Anyway fighting about skis on the internet is like winning in the specail olympics.....you know how it goes. <_<

mike n matts all the way. the greatest snowboard shop around here for sure. the people are extremely friendly and very helpful, and they all know what theyre talking about. i get all my stuff there pretty much and they carry some great boards. they have gnu, lib tech, nitro, and theyre carrying forum this year too. ive gotten some of my stuff from the loft but i really dont like that shop. well i like the shop but the people there are assholes that dont even want to help u and a lot of them dont know what theyre talking about. i had a friend go there who specifically told them he was looking for a good park and freestyle board and they show him 3 freeride boards. and the people there are just asses. mike n matts all the way

Actually, as a middle-aged woman, I'd have to say that 95% of the sales people in ski shops spend their time talking down to me as a skier. Most ski shop guys know the stuff that fits THEM and just stereotype anyone else who walks in...like they've got a book that says "accountant = cruiser" or "gray hair = aspiring carver" and they don't spend the time actually getting the true scoop on a person's style and ability.

That's probably the main reason I feel you have to DEMO DEMO DEMO, because rarely does the "recommended" ski meet your requirements.

Edited by sibhusky