Which Ski/snowboard Shop

skifreak

haha skidude that was funny I was sitting in the lift line and I turned around to fix my pants and on my right ski I noticed the color turned and I popped off the ski and then I saw it a deep gouge in the base and I couldn't believe it. As for ptex I would have put it on if I would have known there was a gouge but those skis are retired now. I must have hit a rock or something because it was mid march.

Edited by skifreak

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that case Volkl makes the best GS ski ever.

At one point I thought mark was running 8s....Hmmm Eitehr way he knows his stuff, and if I was in the market for new bindings, I would probably listen to him, all other things being equal.

I love my 13.07 hc ;)

The only Volkl I've ever been on was the P30, I think---whichever was orange. That was a long time ago. I don't remember a thing about it, so I guess it wasn't a memorable ski. My oldest raced on them in Maine and she loved the new Volkl's. And I remember Picabo used them pacesetting. Maybe they are chick skis, 'Dude? :)

The only Volkl I've ever been on was the P30, I think---whichever was orange. That was a long time ago. I don't remember a thing about it, so I guess it wasn't a memorable ski. My oldest raced on them in Maine and she loved the new Volkl's. And I remember Picabo used them pacesetting. Maybe they are chick skis, 'Dude? :)

:lol::lol: its very true....skigurl skis them too :lol::lol::lol: 'dude, i guess its because you don't have enough power to ski REAL mans skis (atomics, but i do recall you had them before, and LOVED them)...so you have to ski Volkl's :lol:

As I recall, the siblet chose them over another brand last year (without the opportunity to demo them -- the trouble with "race skis" is they have to be demo'd the summer before or you don't get in the race purchase program...) because her coach said the girls preferred the Volkls.

Edited by sibhusky

In that case Volkl makes the best GS ski ever. 

At one point I thought mark was running 8s....Hmmm Eitehr way he knows his stuff, and if I was in the market for new bindings, I would probably listen to him, all other things being equal.

I love my 13.07 hc ;)

Mark was running in the single digits, but hasn't raced as much in recent years. Maybe, like me, he likes actually SKIING better than standing around in his more mature years.

I notice Brad, from the Loft, is still skiing down around 8 HC, though.

Edited by sibhusky

:lol:  :lol: its very true....skigurl skis them too  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 'dude, i guess its because you don't have enough power to ski REAL mans skis (atomics, but i do recall you had them before, and LOVED them)...so you have to ski Volkl's  :lol:

Yeah jeff I loved them, maybe because going from 150 begginer rossis to 160 race skis makes a difference.

But then when I demoed the new atomics, and I demoed the new volkls and other skis, guess waht I like more??

Yeah cranking up your DIN isn't really safe....

And from a freeskiing standpoint, or someone who skis the same ski all the time, Justin is right. Wood cores hold up much better than a foam core. Foam goes to shit soft in about a half season or less. I agree with Justin, but maybe that has to do with my freeskiing.

Mmmmmmm cranking your DIN up so if you fall you rip the bindings out of the skis, Good idea ;)

Well maybe you shouldn't crank em that high, but I find racing you need to crank them a little higher, according to the ski areas charts, I should have a din of like 5.5, and I found out the hard way, that 5.5 is way too low :banghead

insomniac i'm almost positive that the front and back piece have to have the same setting(number) or the bindings will not work right, now i'm not positve (as i'm not a ski tech) but i've always been told that if one is one number then they both need that number. You might wanna check that out.

insomniac i'm almost positive that the front and back piece have to have the same setting(number) or the bindings will not work right, now i'm not positve (as i'm not a ski tech) but i've always been told that if one is one number then they both need that number. You might wanna check that out.

your absoloutly right, they must be set to the same thing :yes

Not must....The front is made for twisting falls, and the back is made for like flipping over, Some trick ski bindigns have a rear twisting out thing too. I think some people like to put there rear DIN higher, so if they are skating hard, or extremely forward, or anyother reason, they won't have to worry about popping out.

At Hood they always asked, what do you want your front din at, and waht do you want your heal din at, so some people do put dins on different settings.

Ski, You can correct me if any of this is incorrect, but I do believe it is fairly accurate.

Not must....The front is made for twisting falls, and the back is made for like flipping over,  Some trick ski bindigns have a rear twisting out thing too.  I think some people like to put there rear DIN higher, so if they are skating hard, or extremely forward, or anyother reason, they won't have to worry about popping out. 

At Hood they always asked, what do you want your front din at, and waht do you want your heal din at, so some people do put dins on different settings.

Ski, You can correct me if any of this is incorrect, but I do believe it is fairly accurate.

For every recreational skier out there, settings should be the same for front and back. Why they have different toe and heel setting for racing has to do with a mixture of things, such as boot mechanics, canting, as well as for what injury each skier is physically vulnerable. I'm just assuming this is why they do it, since I only have different settings because torque tests show my toe-piece springs have been wearing out sooner. So I guess that anyone wanting to be anal about it may have has many as four different settings for used bindings, yet all have equal retention.

More importantly,

HEY PEDRO: WHO'SE YOUR DADDY???????

This is what Mark Bower in the CB repair shop told me (Mark is possibly the best ski tuning guy in PA btw).  "Ohh you got marker bindings, should have gotten Salomons, there better."

In other times I have talked to him, he has told me that markers are good (just not the best), and atomics are ok, (better than look and some other brands) but not as good as marker and salomon.

I think Mark races nastar at about a handycap of 8 or 9 if my memory is correct, and it is the same Mark bower, or how ever you spell his freaking last name.

Bottom line best bindings (according to him) are

1. salomon

2. marker

3. atomic

4. everything else

5. Look

6. what CB uses :lol

Can you post more details on what ski shop this is? I'm not familar with it.

Ski companies continue to price fix to protect small and medium shops. It's also why you can't buy real skis at Walmart or from an online store (other than close-outs). The moment that practice ends, every little ski shop will go belly up. I like to wander around ski shops, but Sib is dead-on: shop guys push what benefits them, or what gear they happen to like. If you plan on spending $1000 on new gear, how about first spending $5 on a Ski Mag Buyers Guide issue which pretty much guarantees you'll then know AS MUCH AS 98% of shop guys. The Buyers Guide simply breaks down what kind of skier you are and matches you to a group of skis. What more can you ask for? And then go demo.

In my opinion, this is the only thing the tow main ski magazines are good for -- and I think they are marginal at best on this topic. There's never a bad ski, boot, binding, ski area, ski town, bar, restaurant, hotel, ski vacation, or snow conditions. They're like the car magazines, a PR mouthpiece for the industry, and too closely aligned with same. Have you ever read or seen a recommendation to buy last year's gear (or a used car from the car mags?).

I'm generalizing here, but you usually have to adjust downward their glowing recommendations, so when they say 'this is excellent', adjust it to 'this may be good', etc.