Which Ski/snowboard Shop

skifreak

Well they do leave areas out, and leave skis out of what was tested. Most give a plus and a minus for the ski (and those are usually all I look at).

I'm sure one of the old peeps will chime in and say how now there are no bad skis, just skis that don't work for you as well, or something like that.

Anyway just my 2 cents

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, this is the only thing the tow main ski magazines are good for -- and I think they are marginal at best on this topic.  There's never a bad ski, boot, binding, ski area, ski town, bar, restaurant, hotel, ski vacation, or snow conditions.  They're like the car magazines, a PR mouthpiece for the industry, and too closely aligned with same. Have you ever read or seen a recommendation to buy last year's gear (or a used car from the car mags?).

I'm generalizing here, but you usually have to adjust downward their glowing recommendations, so when they say 'this is excellent', adjust it to 'this may be good', etc.

Ski Mag is EXCELLENT for putting skis in catagories for "types of skier". There's no financial insentive one way or the other for them saying a GS:11 is a jibbing ski. Ski Mag makes a point of saying they don't include bad skis, so you are welcome to assume the skis left out are the bad one's. That way, they can write only postive reviews and make the advertisers happy, while still being honest.

But, again, the useful information is how they catagorize skis, boots, and bindings.

• 1 year later...

I wish I would have read this post before I bought my Atomic LTs..Time to throw them in the dumpster because the core should be broken down.. :banghead

Fortunatly, Justo isn't that informed :yes Thank god foam cores are just as good as wood cores, and guess which one, if you get a core shot, won't rot? It's partialy the foam core that makes Atomic's so damp at very high speeds. I have Atomic race skis with 120 days on them, and they gave me my lowest NASTAR handicap of the year, smoking my almost brand new GS:11s :lol:

And, it's true that the low end Atomics are some of cheapest skis to manufacture, but it's also true that Atomic race skis are some of the most expensive, for a reason.

Fortunatly, Justo isn't that informed :yes Thank god foam cores are just as good as wood cores, and guess which one, if you get a core shot, won't rot? It's partialy the foam core that makes Atomic's so damp at very high speeds. I have Atomic race skis with 120 days on them, and they gave me my lowest NASTAR handicap of the year, smoking my almost brand new GS:11s :lol:

And, it's true that the low end Atomics are some of cheapest skis to manufacture, but it's also true that Atomic race skis are some of the most expensive, for a reason.

i'll give you that, their high end stuff is top notch for sure, but carrying the whole line just to have the high end skis isnt really worth it. my old 1080s were foam core, and even though the core was shot after a little less than a year, they still skied well, they just didnt handle the crud at high speeds quite as well. i'm sure water has seeped into the core, and they are still holding together, somehow, so i'm not saying all foam cores are bad necesarily.

i'll give you that, their high end stuff is top notch for sure, but carrying the whole line just to have the high end skis isnt really worth it. my old 1080s were foam core, and even though the core was shot after a little less than a year, they still skied well, they just didnt handle the crud at high speeds quite as well. i'm sure water has seeped into the core, and they are still holding together, somehow, so i'm not saying all foam cores are bad necesarily.

and the truth is, shops around here, even nestors, don't really carry top of the line stuff...i mean, the top of the line that nestors gets are Volkl 5 or 6 stars, no? I hardly call that high end, but it sure has a high end price. It's unfortunate, really. It's unfortunate that I can't go into nestors and buy race skis, whether it be atomic or not. Trust me, if Nestors was remotely close to ebay's prices, i'd buy from there. pete's a nice guy, and an amazing boot fitter, and if not for him i'd be screaming 1/2 way down razors in pain like i was before. And I have no problem paying the $160 for foot beds...however, I do have a problem with paying $500 for a very intermediate ski at nestors, where I can spend that same $500 to get a pair of last years race stock Atomic GS:11s with race614 bindings...

we carry race stock stuff in qtown. not sure what we had offhand this year, but i remember seeing a bunch of rc4's and i believe some dynastars down there too. but yeah, the highest end we had at whitehall is something like the volkl allstar, fischer rx8, nordica hot rods and speed machines. its not necesarily race stock, but its definately high end.