Rail Jam this Sunday at the 1260 Park!

skier150

Thanks for jacking my thread...

PVC can be used, but is is going to degrade pretty quickly from sharp edges as well as UV. Stainless steel would work great, but cost a ton. I do not know about galvanized, but it may not slide as well after time.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

galvanized doesnt really slide all that well. also, aluminum sucks because its sticky, not because your edges dig in (which they do, i've tried). pvc works if you are on a budget. yeah, your edges can cut into it, but its really slick if you arent on your front edge. aluminum is just sticky.

I got a house last spring that has some sick terrain, (part of an old quarry) creek for water supply, cliffs 50' of vertical drop in, this is the start of nipples rail garden.

I gather, I design, I cut, I weld. We have a huge scrap yard. full of old farm junk, it's like we found treasure, lol... I'll get nips to post some pics. 16' is fine, the freakin thing is pushing 200 lbs. (some very beefy steel)

Oh, cool. IS it your junkyard, or one you know of? Directions? And what about your prices for the materials you bought? (talking about steel)

what I don't understand is that I am told you can't slide aluminum, but yet, everyone seems to make PVC rails. I would think that plastic is going to gouge before aluminum.

What about galvanized and stainless steel. I doubt anyone has had any experience with those materials, doesn't hurt to ask.

Stainless is slow, so i've heard- on vert ramps and half pipes for skateboarding- i'd imagine the same, but as 1260 said, it's expensive. Plus, you need stainless steel electrodes/welding wire, which are also more expensive. And if you're mig welding it, i think you need to use argon for shielding gas , compared to the argon/CO2 mixture. As for galvanized- i think it would work, BUT- the only thing is safety wise. WHen you start welding/grinding that shit, the fumes are really really bad for you. Just use super caution if you do use galvanized.

keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...