The PASR All Mountain Ski Pass

Papasteeze

What would be a fair price for Season Pass?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. For an adult pass - be resonable!

• $500 and under for Juniors
    • $650
    • $800
    • $1000 or more

With the progression of electronics and things like validation and vertical trackers a PASR pass could become more of a realistic possibilty for someone willing and able to put together a PA Pass Program. I would hope that every PA resort could work together. There are so many possibilities, why even the state could underwrite some type of tourist program for that matter.... I think it could be done simply. A person with this pass might even be able to bypass the ticket booths. Sort of how speed pass works at the gas station. I have used these type of verifiers out west at Park City.

I figure 22 ski days is realistic and $30 per visit is a deal. So, I vote $650 as a steal and I probably would go up to $800 - vote $500 if you are under 18

Hah, maybe I'm the only one but $1000 isn't my cap. Although too much over $1000 and I want ALL the mountains on board... BC, Blue, CB, Shawnee, JF/BB. I'm gonna take a guess the small ones like alpine would love to get in on it, I could be wrong though.

I would think that this is something mountains would want to particiapte in. they would wnat to give the die hards an easier way to come and visit thier mountain, a good way to get the word out. How hard could it be, a dozen or so kiosks, 1 at each resort. I guess the complicated part happens with compensation for each visit. Take doug for example, 100 visits = $5 each trip, no mountain would go for that!

I put $800, only because most passes are pushing $600 for one mountain, and I'm sure that it would have to be more. I don't know if I would pay that much. I probably would but it would depend it it were unlimited or if you could only visit each mountain a set number of times. This would be a great venture, and i do think it is possible, but I have to disagree with you about it being simple. If it was simple someone would have done it already.

Considering where i live, it probably wouldn't be worth it. Maybe for Blue, and BC, and CB. Anything else is starting to get to far, for what we have around here.

but you'd be more likely to drive that xtra distance knowing you wouldnt need to buy a lift ticket, right? Like now, getting to elk you might spend $40 round trip and back and $40 on a lift ticket? But if you only had to spend $40, wouldnt that be more appealing? Because, even at $1000 for a blue pass, easily make it worthwhile (Would have to go about 30 days, instead of the current 11). Hell, I skied for about $3.50 / day at blue last year. Add $5 for gas round trip, and I skied for under $10/day last year.

The starting point would be to coordinate group discount passes first. We'd have to show that we can regularly put together 15 non-season passholders during PASR days.

The power of PASR is in the numbers. We're really no different than a ski club and we've never taken advantage of discounts ski areas offer them.

Pocono ski areas are all very wary and none will take a risk at losing a 'straight up' season pass sale. So the way to attack them is to show our numbers to people in charge of group sales, which are BY FAR the friendliest and most accomodating office at any ski area. The group sales office brings in big chunks of money and they get the most latitude in decision making. For example, I know I could get everyone $10 passes at The Hideout Ski Hill, not that anyone would bother---we're too small. But we'd kill to sell 15 passes and take the $150.

My 2 cents would be to put together a combination email/snail mail, with the background of PASR and the opportunity for the ski area to offer us group incentives. When I wrote a ski column for Gannett Newspapers, I use to get so many free lift tickets and food vouchers that I had to give (er, sell) most of them.

We already have some mountain reps...why not ask them to forward some group proposals for us?

We already have some mountain reps...why not ask them to forward some group proposals for us?

Word - I think almost all of the mountains in our area have changed ownership recently. I would think that JFBB for example is going to want to get as many new people to come out to see the improvements as soon as they have coverage. CB park passes, blues expansion, BC has racing, Sno is will likely be in dire straights playing catch up. The timing is good right now. :yes

The 1st step would be to limit the pass to 3 mountains if the cost of the pass would be $600. And limit it to 4 mountains if the cost of the pass would be $800. This way each resort would receive $200 each.

3 mountain list:Blue, Elk & Sno

4 Mountain list: Blue, Elk, Sno & CB

I think if one of them got on board the others would follow suit.

^er yeah, i dunno if this has been said or not but what if people could pick what mountains they wanted to include in their pass, if not all of them? like the more mtns you want, the more expensive it'd be, but youd get to pick which mtns youd have a pass for (if not all the pocono mtns) instead of having ^those 3 or 4

The starting point would be to coordinate group discount passes first. We'd have to show that we can regularly put together 15 non-season passholders during PASR days.

The power of PASR is in the numbers. We're really no different than a ski club and we've never taken advantage of discounts ski areas offer them.

Pocono ski areas are all very wary and none will take a risk at losing a 'straight up' season pass sale. So the way to attack them is to show our numbers to people in charge of group sales, which are BY FAR the friendliest and most accomodating office at any ski area. The group sales office brings in big chunks of money and they get the most latitude in decision making. For example, I know I could get everyone $10 passes at The Hideout Ski Hill, not that anyone would bother---we're too small. But we'd kill to sell 15 passes and take the $150.

My 2 cents would be to put together a combination email/snail mail, with the background of PASR and the opportunity for the ski area to offer us group incentives. When I wrote a ski column for Gannett Newspapers, I use to get so many free lift tickets and food vouchers that I had to give (er, sell) most of them.

Word - I think almost all of the mountains in our area have changed ownership recently. I would think that JFBB for example is going to want to get as many new people to come out to see the improvements as soon as they have coverage. CB park passes, blues expansion, BC has racing, Sno is will likely be in dire straights playing catch up. The timing is good right now. :yes

Tell me what I can do to help...

but you'd be more likely to drive that xtra distance knowing you wouldnt need to buy a lift ticket, right? Like now, getting to elk you might spend $40 round trip and back and $40 on a lift ticket? But if you only had to spend $40, wouldnt that be more appealing? Because, even at $1000 for a blue pass, easily make it worthwhile (Would have to go about 30 days, instead of the current 11). Hell, I skied for about $3.50 / day at blue last year. Add $5 for gas round trip, and I skied for under $10/day last year.

Thats still pushing it. 3hrs to ride elk.. Might aswell just keep going further into NY and ride better terrain..

Maybe we'll see something for 2007-08 ski season...we already have employees from most of the Pocono ski areas on here. It's probably too late for this season though because most people have already purchased their season passes or will be soon. Out west and in New England multi-ski area season passes are the rule, not the exception.

Except for JH and there rediculous pass price of about 1500 :banghead

Yeah but the break even on the Jackson Hole pass is only 22 days at 70 dollars a day. A big reason I only went to Elk for a weekend with my Dad once in 10th grade is the long drive...maybe 2 hours from Allentown and 2 hours is 2/3 of the way to NY ski areas and 1/3 of the way to VT.

Thats exactly my point. Elk is very far from my area. I would much rather ride more, then drive more... I can get to blue pending on traffic, in an hour to hour and 15. Compared to a 3 hr up and 3 hrs back... Only times i ride elk are when i stay at my mtn house for the weekend, and it's still an hour from there.

Edited by KnuckleDragger

Would each resort split the total profit? :confused I have the AllforOnePass for VT, NH, and ME and it works because all 6 resorts are owned by the ASC, so no matter where you order it from, the money goes right into the ASC's pocket.

I was just skimming this thread, so maybe I missed the explanation of how each resort would profit off this equally....if so, my bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I probably would never get it with where I live now. The only places I go to is BC or Blue on a normal day, considering the closest proximity (BC 45-1hr Blue 1hr-1hr 15 min). I used to go to JFBB all the time when we had the house in Blakeslee, but now that we sold it, Im stuck here.

So realistically I'd only be using it at two mountains most of the season, and most of my time is spent at Blue anyway. I only see myself going to BC for an event or if I dont feel like going to Blue, so maybe I'd say 3-5 days in a season. Last year I only went to other mountains twice - once at BB and once at CB.

If this does happen, it would be incredibly expensive. Take CO for example, they have their CO "Gold" Pass...which runs well over $1000, based on the fact that it includes all mountains in CO and they all arent ran by the same company. However, you can get a "Snow Pass" for about $370, which includes Breck, Keystone, A-Basin, and discounts at Vail and Beaver Creek. Keep in mind all of these mountains are operated under the same "chain" of mountains. Since all mountains in PA operate independantly, not only would it be incredibly expensive, but it would probably be near impossible to get every mountain on board with doing it (especially the bigger ones, like Blue, BB, CB, etc) - they are very very content with the season pass profits they make each year anyway. To make a reasonable profit for each mountain, they'd need to make the price well over $1000. If all of the mountains were owned and operated by the same company, then a pass could be much cheaper since in reality only one company is involved, meaning that they are the only one that gets the profit.

If all of the mountains were owned and operated by the same company, then a pass could be much cheaper since in reality only one company is involved, meaning that they are the only one that gets the profit.

no doubt. the only reason I can think of that a mountain would join the group is the exposure to new riders that they wouldn't normally get. Compensating the mountain is the tricky part. Kiosks of sorts for validation. I dunno, maybe a pass that has a home mountain primarily listed then a huge discount for tickets at another mountain could be an option.

• 1 year later...