Looking to buy a pair of NEW skis

ColoradoHigh

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea if you get off your ass its not that hard to hold down a job in high school on top of the work. I worked that many hours and didn't miss a friday or saturday night for 4 years either so, people complain that their social life will suck but who goes out before 8 anyway? you can do 3 - 7 everyday after school and get 20 hours in, come home do your homework, and work 8-10 hours on saturday, and do 28 hours a week easily. work longer after school and less days, you can go up to the mountain twice afterschool a week plus a weekend day. do your work during your free time in school. Pull something that busy and you will be well prepared for college.

I have more free time in college than i did in high school.

Whats your major? Some people here don't work much at all (English, Business, History, Polysci majors). The engineers work a hell of a lot. But it makes sense, a marketing major fucks up an ad, some business is lost. Engineers fuck up a wing and people die, so I'd like to think they give us this much work to weed out the people who can't hack it. (We've lost 30 out of 120 from the major in the first semester)

You get what you put into your education. But saying engineering is more important than marketing is crazy. If a company didn't have good marketing, they couldn't make the additional revenue for that wing of the building. It's all inter-connected..To me marketing is incredibly interesting and a magazine is worthwhile to me to see the ads alone. I can definitely understand how certain majors weed out the non-serious students. Alot of kids in the business school became English majors for better GPAs. Studies show that a good balance of work and leisure is ideal. If you lived a complete life of leisure..it could be boring and you'd really have nothing to look forward to since you had 52 weeks of vacation time per year. If you only worked..leisure time would merely be an interuption from work. After I go on a trip somewhere..I look forward to going back to work and getting things accomplished..it doesn't matter what you do..every vocation has some value...because you're helping people out directly or indirectly.

Method the fact that you've stuck out engineering is great because there'll be less graduates competiting for the same jobs.. :rock

i think this might have been the single most worthwhile and meaningful thing doug has ever said on this site... how deep

Oh believe me I don't think business school is easy. My best friend is in finance and believe me that shit is hard. My dad is a marketing executive so I certaintly don't hate on it cuz he makes a hell of a lot more than most engineers. My point was freshman year, engineers have to do an insane amount of work. And it is pretty much bullshit work, but the point is to scare away anyone who isn't committed. If you fuck up in business your business goes down but no one gets hurt. You fuck up in engineering and people can get hurt or killed. Our professor did a bunch of the design for the Space Shuttle and the F-16, and so he was taking us through a lecture about the Challenger incident and how the managers told the engineers who were warning them to think like managers instead of engineers, and the next day it flew and a bunch of people died even though the engineers warned against it. So right now they are trying to seperate the men from the boys.

By graduation our starting class of 130 mechanical engineers should be about 40. My brother is in architecture at NJIT and they went from 90 down to about 30 over the last 4 years.

sidenote, if anyone is interested in engineering/schools cuz I know there are a lot of high school kids around here, check out my engineering teams website. You can figure out who I am based on the Burton shirt fairly easily.

http://udel.edu/~kevinsch/

Whats your major? Some people here don't work much at all (English, Business, History, Polysci majors). The engineers work a hell of a lot. But it makes sense, a marketing major fucks up an ad, some business is lost. Engineers fuck up a wing and people die, so I'd like to think they give us this much work to weed out the people who can't hack it. (We've lost 30 out of 120 from the major in the first semester)

Right now im just taking core classes to get them out of the way. Probably going into Geography/ Geology

engineers represent! :rock

One big thing with engineering here in the US is that it's recognised as a profession and paid as such.

In England a well qualifed (and experienced) engineer could earn maybe $70k in telecoms, as little as $40k in some of the less demanding markets. It's easy to double that over here.

When I was 21 (yes, many moons ago) I was the lead electrical designer for the oxygen generation system for the (then new) F-22 "raptor". I was paid less than $30k. Now I manage teams of engineers in a US telecom's company and even my tech's get paid more than that (even allowing for inflation).

ummm, how are you buying $400 skis with your first paycheck....I make more then you and my paychecks aren't even that big :banghead

But Philpug will agree, if you want an all mtn ski that can do it all...atomic metrons.

The Metron M10 is a great choice. b4 construction, so it will hold well on the Pocono Packed Powder (See:ice), a sidecut in the low teens so it will make some nice carved turns yest can be modulated into longer turns. A turned up tail so you could bring it into teh park, but htis is its weakest trait. You can find htese in a 172 pretty readily on Ebay. The 124/74/112 ( think thats what they are, going from memory), other than the new m11 B5, are the most versatile dimensions of the Metron line.

The Nordica Enforcers would be another fine choice as is the Volkl AC3

I hate to change the coarse of the thread, but to go along with ski's, I was wondering how important it is to have center mounted skis if skiing park. I have K2 Fujatives, which are twin tips but they arent center mounted. I ski a lot of all mountain but i am looking into going more park. I got a season pass to bear creek this year so i am hoping to step up my park skiing, what kind of options do i have? i think i asked this before, but i cant seem to find it

Any answer is fine, and if you dont want to answer it in the thread, you can PM me

I hate to change the coarse of the thread, but to go along with ski's, I was wondering how important it is to have center mounted skis if skiing park. I have K2 Fujatives, which are twin tips but they arent center mounted. I ski a lot of all mountain but i am looking into going more park. I got a season pass to bear creek this year so i am hoping to step up my park skiing, what kind of options do i have? i think i asked this before, but i cant seem to find it

Any answer is fine, and if you dont want to answer it in the thread, you can PM me

I dont ski, but alot of my friends do and it seems that the ones who have it center mounted can grind much much better.

center mounting the fujatives, from what i have, is kind of a bad idea. a ski like the fujative (or dynastar TM, to an extent) has a very specific flex pattern that differs from tip to tail. if you mount the ski too far forward, you start to interfere with that by mounting the toe piece very close to the softest part of the ski. also, the center of the sidecut on the ski is not that far forward either. mounting them true center will make it feel like you are almost ahead of the ski, if that makes any sense. its hard to understand if you've never skied on a pair of skis that was mounted forward of recommended. i'm pretty sure shadows has his mounted true center, so i would ask him how he likes them, but my recommendation, if you're getting into the park but still using them for all mountain purposes as well is to go +5. i wouldnt go past +7.5 though.

i believe that fujatives are meant to be CORE center mounted. thats what i've read and i mounted mine at that position. they skied park great and still skied the mountain well.

i really hate that k2 labeled the +7.5 mark as core center, cause it confuses more people than it helps. "core center" on a k2 is +7.5 from standard mount. true, middle of the ski, dead center is +12cm from standard mount, so nothing about +7.5 is really center, in all reality.

center mounting the fujatives, from what i have, is kind of a bad idea. a ski like the fujative (or dynastar TM, to an extent) has a very specific flex pattern that differs from tip to tail. if you mount the ski too far forward, you start to interfere with that by mounting the toe piece very close to the softest part of the ski. also, the center of the sidecut on the ski is not that far forward either. mounting them true center will make it feel like you are almost ahead of the ski, if that makes any sense. its hard to understand if you've never skied on a pair of skis that was mounted forward of recommended. i'm pretty sure shadows has his mounted true center, so i would ask him how he likes them, but my recommendation, if you're getting into the park but still using them for all mountain purposes as well is to go +5. i wouldnt go past +7.5 though.

you pretty much said it. messes with the flex a lot. and yes, mine are at true. in general i just dont like how true centered skis react when carving/flexing so i bought a new pair of skis. fujis are my park ski.

ok thanks for all the input! so what i can gather from all of everyones info and what the guy at buckmans said is that getting skis true center mounted is not always the best option if i am going to ski park and pipe, but compromising between center and rear is the best solution

it completely depends on the ski. the fuajtives true center, no. troublemakers ski perfectly fine mounted true center, but their standard mount is only 5cm from true center anyway.

it completely depends on the ski. the fuajtives true center, no. troublemakers ski perfectly fine mounted true center, but their standard mount is only 5cm from true center anyway.

i was looking into the silencers or the invaders, any info on those? because i heard that they are good skis for park and pipe and i think that they work well when 5-7+ mounted but not center

well, i skied invaders last year and loved them. i'm on silencers this season, but havent skied them yet. i liked the old PE, and the silencer is a softer version of that ski, so i think i will like them a lot. i'll let you know after rails to riches next weekend at killy.

ok thanks a lot! and do you ski all mountain too? where are your Silencers and invaders mounted

Yeah Invaders need to be center mounted. They're designed to be 100% symmetrical so if you mounted them anywhere else but center, my guess is that you'd be fighting against the flex pattern of the ski.

Go for em, they're really a "fun" ski...very quick and sharp due to the symmetricalness, not a floppy noodle either. Go a bit bigger than you normally would though.

The only problem I'm having right now is waiting for line to SHIP the 171 model to TTN....or anywhere for that matter.