Do new boots need binding adjustment?

CO 14ers

I recently purchased new Fischer WC 4 boots that are just one millimeter shorter than my other boots. My own measurements agree with the close sizing. I have also had both pair of skis tuned and binding checked. Some say that one mm is no need to get a binding check because it is well within the tolerances. But one shop said,

If you had them run through a binding check with the new boots then you should have no problem. If the binding check was with your old boots it really couldn't hurt for safeties sake if you got them checked again with the new ones. If you ever have any warrantee issues with a binding failure some companies will ask for a receipt showing that the skis were mounted and checked by a certified individual.

1mm is 100% fine. I have three different sets of ski boots (Salomon, Atomic, and Lange), all with different heel to toe lengths (all are 1mm different). I set all my bindings to my race boots, then just click in with my other boots. If you're really concerned, you could always give them 1/4 turn clockwise...

I recently purchased new Fischer WC 4 boots that are just one millimeter shorter than my other boots. My own measurements agree with the close sizing. I have also had both pair of skis tuned and binding checked. Some say that one mm is no need to get a binding check because it is well within the tolerances. But one shop said,

If it were me, I'd get them checked with the new boots. It would also put you at ease and you won't always be wondering, which might affect your enjoyment of skiing. But I'm anal like that.

Never have had a binding check done, and according to Justo, I probably don't want to know what my bindings actually test out to be. :banghead

All I know is that they've popped out when they needed to, and stayed on when they should. :wiggle

this is interesting, i could have guessed everyone's response before they even posted... but if you're asking about it, then drop the $15 or so and get them checked out. the length of the sole isnt the only difference between your old boots and new ones. if they old ones had some wear to the bottoms, the bindings were adjusted according to that. also, different plastics can be harder or softer than others, which also plays into how the binding might release. $15 is cheap compared to a trip in a heli to the emergency room from a broken leg or torn acl when your binding doesnt release when it should.

this is interesting, i could have guessed everyone's response before they even posted... but if you're asking about it, then drop the $15 or so and get them checked out. the length of the sole isnt the only difference between your old boots and new ones. if they old ones had some wear to the bottoms, the bindings were adjusted according to that. also, different plastics can be harder or softer than others, which also plays into how the binding might release. $15 is cheap compared to a trip in a heli to the emergency room from a broken leg or torn acl when your binding doesnt release when it should.

"Nestors, Justin speaking, how may i take your money?"

:nana

Ted, like Ski said, he sets his skis to the boot he uses most, and every boot is a few mm from that boot, and it all works out. I'm a 325mm, and ski's boots are a 323mm, and I skied his 21m GS:11s last day at Blue last year, and I took a spectacular fall on Main Street, did a back flip in the air, and you know what, the bindings came off just like they should've. Though in the end, it's up to you.

I dont trust shops with bindings anymore.When I got my skis mounted last year they had my dins set at 6 and my wings open.I just picked up the ski and didnt look at the binding good enough.I get up the mountain and go into the park and land perfect on a jump and i pop out and probably landed on my hip. I had to re adjust them after that.On my new skis they do the same thing with the din.They set it at 6,I had to turn them up to 7.

I dont trust shops with bindings anymore.When I got my skis mounted last year they had my dins set at 6 and my wings open.I just picked up the ski and didnt look at the binding good enough.I get up the mountain and go into the park and land perfect on a jump and i pop out and probably landed on my hip. I had to re adjust them after that.On my new skis they do the same thing with the din.They set it at 6,I had to turn them up to 7.

what shop? most likely, your DIN should be set at 6 according to a DIN chart, but if they didnt adjust the wings, then yeah, thats their bad. for example, i am 6 feet, 160lbs, 315mm bootsole, and type 3+ skier, and my DIN according to the chart is 8.5. if you are shorter than me, lighter than me, or have a different size boot than me, you could end up at a 6. it also depends on if the bindings and boots were brand new or not. if you are pretty sure they werent set up right, take them back to the shop and tell them so.

what shop? most likely, your DIN should be set at 6 according to a DIN chart, but if they didnt adjust the wings, then yeah, thats their bad. for example, i am 6 feet, 160lbs, 315mm bootsole, and type 3+ skier, and my DIN according to the chart is 8.5. if you are shorter than me, lighter than me, or have a different size boot than me, you could end up at a 6. it also depends on if the bindings and boots were brand new or not. if you are pretty sure they werent set up right, take them back to the shop and tell them so.

The Shop was Bear Creek Ski Shack.And the first bindings they didnt adjust right were set correctly for my boot and everything,but they had to go and detune everything to like 0.This year they didnt even mount my bindings where I wanted them.I told the guy true center and hes like i dont know what that is but the marking point is this.I told his true center is like 1 above center so hes like ok.I get em back and their mounted at core center,I dont really care,I wanna see how they ride core center,ive been riding true center for like my whole ski career.

And ya your right about the din thing,but idn I usually put my din alittle higher then what it should be.

Well realize the name of the game for a ski shop is to prevent hurting someone (liability) so the shop of course is going to tell you to get them checked. And get more money out of you? We charge $15 for it at high country, thats less than the gas on one trip, like Justo said its more than just the 1mm because the ski tech set the bindings last time might have made adjustments specific for your boot. I convinced a guy the other day to spend the $15 to get his bindings (older) bindings checked out when he had them in for a tune, and they ended up failing. When we told him that hey, your bindings were seriously messed up and you probably would have hurt yourself if you skied on them he realized it was a $15 worth spending.