East Coast Team Challenge-Open to Skiers & Snowbaorders

Boulder Park

I tend to disagree.. Everyone of you who thinks it is ALL about style, please show me that you can throw the 9's, 10's and 12's and then I will back off my opinion.

I'm sorry but I find it absolutely hilarious that you are trying to tell us what's acceptable in freestyle skiing/snowboarding. You should really link up with the USASA crowd, birds of a feather and all that.

so just because you saw me chuckin 14's

Hands down funniest thing I've ever read on this website.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but I find it absolutely hilarious that you are trying to tell us what's acceptable in freestyle skiing/snowboarding.

Acceptable? nooo, I just suspect that MOST of those who are vocal about the style vs. spins can't actually spin, and that is why they are so vocal.. I am curious if that is correct, thats all.

Acceptable? nooo, I just suspect that MOST of those who are vocal about the style vs. spins can't actually spin, and that is why they are so vocal.. I am curious if that is correct, thats all.

I can do bs5's and cab5's on the ground guy. so i think that your comment is complete bullshit.

i used to do 450's onto shit too but its problly the ugliest and gayest shit to do onto rails and boxes.

Edited by poop

Does it ever strike you as strange that the only two people who have spun past 1080 on a snowboard this past season either did it on a 80+ jump or on a complete monstrosity that had to be constructed specfically for maximum airtime? Are you telling me that 99.9999% of the snowboarding world doesn't do 1260+ because they can't spin that fast? Go read any interview with Josh Dirksen or Robbie Sell and they'll explain why they don't want to spin anything past 9. Shit, Dirksen has told me personally that the only reason he does nines in the first place is for a paycheck. If he didn't have the pressure of sponsorship hanging over his head he'd never do another 900+ degree spin for the rest of his life.

If lack of skill equates to being critical about the opposition then I'd better watch what you say because you're turning into a shining example.

i disagree w/ that for the most part. throughout the course of the season, i'd say i throw 10 times as many 5's as i do big spins, and i can spin some decent big rotations. not tryin to be a claimer here at all, just backin up my opinion. I'd rather see more style in tricks...the first thing kids want to do when they learn to jump is huck 7's, 9's and the illusive 1080.

ok, so you 3 guys are the exception... LOL! It's all good.. I would love to see a difficulty rating sheet. for example does a rodeo 7 beat a switch 7?
Ya rodeo 7 will beat the switch 7.Switch tricks aren't really hard.I feel more comfortable spinning switch then I do regular.

Ya rodeo 7 will beat the switch 7.Switch tricks aren't really hard.I feel more comfortable spinning switch then I do regular.

hit a 60 foot jump switch and tell me switch tricks are not hard. both a switch 7 and rodeo 7 are hard tricks. competition-wise, the rodeo 7 would probably take it on difficulty due to the upside down factor. on film, i'd rather see a nice grabbed cab 7.

i agree with what you guys are saying style is a huggggggge part of snowboarding. and thats why in a lot of snowboarding movies 99 % of the spins in the movies are 7's or below. i am not trying to say that 1440's are the best trick in the world. i was doing them for my own personal intrest on seeing what spin i could get to and land. im not saying that i dont do 5's or 7's with style, i accually love doing 7 melons and stomping the shit out of them. i just see what i can accomplish as my highest spin ever. so i hope this whole thing can stop now. you guys seem to know alot of snowboarding. i am not and would not go against what your saying. and i hope we come to and aggrement and just drop this.

hit a 60 foot jump switch and tell me switch tricks are not hard. both a switch 7 and rodeo 7 are hard tricks. competition-wise, the rodeo 7 would probably take it on difficulty due to the upside down factor. on film, i'd rather see a nice grabbed cab 7.

Okay that is fair, how about switch7 vs. Misty5 - See where I am heading with this?

i agree with what you guys are saying style is a huggggggge part of snowboarding. and thats why in a lot of snowboarding movies 99 % of the spins in the movies are 7's or below. i am not trying to say that 1440's are the best trick in the world. i was doing them for my own personal intrest on seeing what spin i could get to and land. im not saying that i dont do 5's or 7's with style, i accually love doing 7 melons and stomping the shit out of them. i just see what i can accomplish as my highest spin ever. so i hope this whole thing can stop now. you guys seem to know alot of snowboarding. i am not and would not go against what your saying. and i hope we come to and aggrement and just drop this.

no worries... spin to win if that is what you are into... throw stylie 5's and 7's in a comp and lose to the penciled 10.. there is an inconsistent difference about what is the best trick from a viewing point and from a comp standpoint that I wish was a publicized standard.

I'm a huge fan of stylish stuff. A perfectly smooth rotation beats an over-rotation any day in my book. A great example would be right at the end of Afterbang. I was watching it last night. Between 2 sections of credits is the smoothest no grab front flip i've ever seen. I had to rewind it 5 times. There are some incredible spins, grabs and hucks in the rest of the movie, but this one move just stood out from the others so much because of the smoothness.

Okay that is fair, how about switch7 vs. Misty5 - See where I am heading with this?

this game can go on and on and on... that's why i asked bill if there was anywhere that we can see what tricks stack up against what, just as a basis for what to go by for a comp. i'll use the nollie lip example again. its a really difficult trick to do, and when its done right it looks really cool, but as far as i can tell from my experience, a stock 270 on will beat it every time. what trick beats what is just so subjective, and then when you throw in one being done by a skier and another being done by a snowboarder, its even more difficult to tell what was better.

Lets not even get started on whats harder per person. A better example is skateboarding, heelflips and kickflips are considered the 'entry level' flip tricks. Yet I know kids who can 360 flip and hardflip, but can't heelflip. I also know kids you can heelflip all day but can't kickflip. For me backside spins on a snowboard are easier, for some people frontside spins are easier. I think a switch backside spin is easier than a regular frontside spin for me, but they are rated differently. Thats the reason I don't really like judged contests. My personal opinion is that anything that is subjectively judged is not a sport. A competition maybe, but not a sport. If it were up to me halfpipe snowboarding, figure skating, gymnastics, all that crap would be out of the olympics. Snowboard racing is a sport for sure, but I don't really ever think of the hitting the park all day as a sport. Thats not saying it isn't really hard, or that the people doing it aren't athletic (hell I'm a park rat too), I just think a 'sport' is differant from a competition because there are much clearer rules and a quantifiable number that determines the outcome. Judging is too subjective.