Twin Tippers

n0xidee

Looking at using my Christmas money on buying a new pair of skis. Before I didnt think I wanted a pair of twin tip, but I'm starting to like doing some park. Just wondering what would be my choices of good all mountain skis that are twin tips. I heard that the Public Enemy's are a good set but any information would be nice.

Buy my 06/07 Rossi Scratch FS WRS. 181cm used 1 day, nothing wrong with them anywere.Perfect condition. They are mounted with 05/06 Rossi Axial 1 120 bindings. These have also been used one day, and are in perfect condition. All yours for $425. Brand new altogether it cost me $650, so heres a deal for you.

Thanks but 181 is a little big for me. I am only 5'9" 145 lbs.

Also I hate snow blades. They are for people who don't know or want to learn how to ski.

Also I hate snow blades. They are for people who don't know or want to learn how to ski.

Pretty sure he was joking....

I've always heard good things about the Karmas, but like Papa said they are a little pricey. I loved my Troublemakers as an all mountain ski, but if you're riding out west at all or anywhere with deeper snow you might appreciate the extra width underfoot that a ski like the Karma gives you. In my experience if you want a twin that skis a bit better, go with a bigger manufacturer like Volkl, Dynastar, Rossi, etc... Companies like Line or Armada tend to ski better for park only and sacrafice all mountain performance for this.

there are lots of options. being that you are pretty light weight, the karma might be a lot of ski for you, unless you like a really stiff ski. the PE skis very well all mountain and is a little bit softer. surprisingly, the silencer skis pretty well all mountain too, but its a little narrower and a little softer than the PE. if you like a soft ski, check out the thruster, its dimensions are similar to the silencer. dynastar big troubles are fun, also on the stiff side, and pretty wide, as are the k2 seths.

if you're done skiing then why are you posting on PASR?

Do i really need to answer that. I could go two ways with it. 1. Because its the internet, and i could do whatever the hell i want. 2. Because i like the conversation on here, and i still like skiing as awhole, i jsut dont like being 16 with the back of a 55 year old. Doesnt make a lot of sense to go through injury, when i will have nothing to gain from it. So like i have said before im taking a break from skiing. It might be 3 months, it might be years. Ill start skiing again when i want to.

• 2 weeks later...

The Volkl Kharmas are really good but a little pricey. The Line Chronic is a good choice, it is a park/all mountain ski but since you are lighter it will be stiff for the rest of the mountain too. Another choice would be the Line Prophet. That is a more all mountain ski that is twin tipped so obviously can be taken into the park. The guy who runs our ski department at my shop has been skiing on Prophets for 3 seasons and he loves them. They come in two widths based on more east coast or more west coast skiing. I'd say go for the wider one if you ever think about going out west. The extra width won't hurt you on groomers, although it makes the skis heavier for park so if you plan on doing more park the narrow ones would be better. Also the wider ones need a wide brake, sometimes that delays mounting if they have to order it for your binding (unless you are buying new bindings that will solve that problem), so that is another thing to consider.

The Volkl Kharmas are really good but a little pricey. The Line Chronic is a good choice, it is a park/all mountain ski but since you are lighter it will be stiff for the rest of the mountain too. Another choice would be the Line Prophet. That is a more all mountain ski that is twin tipped so obviously can be taken into the park. The guy who runs our ski department at my shop has been skiing on Prophets for 3 seasons and he loves them. They come in two widths based on more east coast or more west coast skiing. I'd say go for the wider one if you ever think about going out west. The extra width won't hurt you on groomers, although it makes the skis heavier for park so if you plan on doing more park the narrow ones would be better. Also the wider ones need a wide brake, sometimes that delays mounting if they have to order it for your binding (unless you are buying new bindings that will solve that problem), so that is another thing to consider.

just wanted to add a bit to what you said...

personally, i think the chronics suck as a ski in general. they arent great all mountain, and i really dont like them in the park either. the prophets also come in four widths, at 80mm, 90mm, 100mm, and 130mm in the waste.

just wanted to add a bit to what you said...

personally, i think the chronics suck as a ski in general. they arent great all mountain, and i really dont like them in the park either. the prophets also come in four widths, at 80mm, 90mm, 100mm, and 130mm in the waste.

Really? I know a lot of people that love them. Agreed they are stiff for the park, but a lot of people say they are a good balance between park/all mountain. Although they could suck and just not realize how to actually ski, almost everyone who comes into a shop tells you they are an expert and that they go 'really fast', when in reality almost all of them suck but, thats a whole different discussion.

Really? I know a lot of people that love them. Agreed they are stiff for the park, but a lot of people say they are a good balance between park/all mountain. Although they could suck and just not realize how to actually ski, almost everyone who comes into a shop tells you they are an expert and that they go 'really fast', when in reality almost all of them suck but, thats a whole different discussion.

ha yeah what people tell you they are capable of in the shop when they are buying gear and what they actually do on the hill are pretty different sometimes. i get a lot of the same thing. i guess why i didnt like the chronic is because it isnt really great at either park riding or as an all mtn twin. the PE is a killer all mtn ski, but still pretty good in the park, although it is also a little on the stiff side.

ha yeah what people tell you they are capable of in the shop when they are buying gear and what they actually do on the hill are pretty different sometimes. i get a lot of the same thing. i guess why i didnt like the chronic is because it isnt really great at either park riding or as an all mtn twin. the PE is a killer all mtn ski, but still pretty good in the park, although it is also a little on the stiff side.

Yea I just bought ski boots yesterday at work so I'm going to try out skiing again for the first time in 4 years, mainly just to demo stuff so I can answer questions on it better because right now I'm going on 2nd hand knowledge for the most part. We have a few demo skis at work that I'm going to try, but no twin tips. I'm going to try out anyone in the shop's twin tips that fit my boot but I'm not sure how many will. One guy has the same size boot as me, and he has 5 pairs of twin for me to try (Prophets, Chronics, Foils, 1080s, Kharmas) and there is another guy that has about 5 pairs but I'm not sure what size he has, although I know he has Invaders and an Armada ski. Not likely that I will get to go out on all of them but, I'll certaintly check it out. I wonder how I will be on twin tips, I stopped in 8th grade when I was landing 3's on straight skis, it will be nice to try out something actually designed for park.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys, I just got back from Stratton's on-snow demo and rode pretty much every twin tip for next year. I won't go into everything, but I'll give you some suggestions. First of all, the K2 Public Enemy sucks as an all mountain ski as far as I'm concerned. An all mountain twin to me is a ski that is good in the park but can rip on the groomers and other conditions. If you haven't gone fast enough on the K2 PE to see how crappy they are, then you can't ski very fast. Anyway, Volkl is replacing the Karma next year with 2 different skis. Can't remember the names of them...one is called the Bridge, I think. Anyway, Volkl makes an awesome ski and they always have, so you can't really go wrong with them. Rossi renamed their Scratch FS and BC. The new FS is ok...better for park...not sure what the new name is. The new BC is called the Brigade and it was pretty sick. Super sweet pinstripe graphic. Skis well all over the mountain, but still good in the park. I think the best all mountain twins I was on was probably the Nordica Supercharger line. Also, next year's Line twins are pretty sick. Super stable at high speeds but still somewhat buttery. If anybody is looking for a more park specific ski for next year, check out the Jon Olsson pro model from Head...siiiiick graphic, but it might be tough for some of you 12 and 13 year-olds to get your parents to buy them for you...b/c the skis have two super hot chicks on them...twins actually (how convenient). Anyway, feel free to shoot me any questions about anything as far as next year's skis go. Happy skiing.