Camelback Security 5, them 0

skidude

Apparently right now CB security is back rooming about 5 kids who were stealing snowboards. The cops are up there and they are unloading a bus and seeing whats in it.

The cops are up there too.

F* people who steal skis/boards. I would soooo beat the sh*t out of anyone who tried to take my stuff.

Anyway, just wanted to give them props for attempting to stop some of the theft.

Something you might want to look into would be the free ski check, because I bet a lot more people would use it...

Either way, good job.

my dominant is my life... its the first board that i had to pay for.. no more snowboards for christmas so i had to save up for her.. all 400 bucks worth and when i was only getting paid 5.50 back then 400 was alot.. but i would honestly try to beat the shit out of someone who tried taking my board.. but im a smaller guy so i might have to get someone bigger to kick his ass haha

80% of the theft come from 20% of the people. Last year at Mountain Creek the local cops pulled over a Jeep Wrangler for speeding. The car had 2 guys in it, and the entire backseat was full of snowboards, almost a dozen. They got arrested but I'm not sure if people got their boards back.

If you look on your board - there is a serial number. It is usually between the bindings near one of the edges, about a centimeter tall. Take a picture of that number and keep it on file somewhere so you would be able to file a police report if it does get stolen.

If you look on your board - there is a serial number. It is usually between the bindings near one of the edges, about a centimeter tall. Take a picture of that number and keep it on file somewhere so you would be able to file a police report if it does get stolen.

great idea! chances are the shop you bought it from doesn't keep track of serial numbers so once it's gone you can't find out what the number was.

theft doesn't only happen at the slopes! we catch people trying to steal out of the shop every year. we have even had people try to walk out with a board under their arm! or those brazen enough to try a grab and run with a getaway car waiting by the door.

for every one person who gets away with it and tells all their friends, there are 10 others who get caught.

and as in life, we all end up paying for the idiots who think stealing is the way to go.

if you have had or ever have a board or skis stolen and have a photo and serial number distribute it to the area shops! we will post it and have our employees keep their eyes open. if the idiot who stole it brings it in for a tune, for a mount, or other work we will catch it! most shops will do the same!

If you have homeowners insurance doesn't that cover ski or board theft??

I believe it would. If you bought top notch stuff you should let your insurance guy know and have it specifically added to your policy - just like that 4ct diamond wedding ring you gave the mrs.

You should have photos of everything you own which is worth replacing - i suggest a video inventory (or photographic) of everything you own including your ski and board gear.

Lay out all of your gear, take photos or video and document serial numbers and what you paid for it. Keep original receipts in a file.

The more info you have, the easier it will be to get it back and or have the insurance company reimburse you.

I work for an insurance company.. and yes, it is covered under the contents portion of a homeowners policy.

Like Johnnypowder said, the best thing to do is take an inventory (photo or video) of all of your things. Keep a copy of it and also see if you insurer will take a copy (just in case your copy was stolen or burned in a fire!). However, I highly doubt any insurance company would let you put it on your policy like a peice of jewelry.. mainly b/c this is an item that you are using alot, and subjecting it to a lot of wear and tear amonst everything else. We have people trying to add their golf clubs, bikes, computers to their policy and we have to decline it. We just tell them it is covered under the contents portion.

Though it may be listed on your policy and if it were stolen, you are still subject to the deductible... so if board and bindings were less than your deductible, you have to pay for all of it.

Its a great thing those kids were caught, but all the more reason for CB to stop trying to earn a $ for every little thing and have a free ski/board check like Blue.

Edited by IrishSnow686

I work for an insurance company.. and yes, it is covered under the contents portion of a homeowners policy.

Like Johnnypowder said, the best thing to do is take an inventory (photo or video) of all of your things. Keep a copy of it and also see if you insurer will take a copy (just in case your copy was stolen or burned in a fire!). However, I highly doubt any insurance company would let you put it on your policy like a peice of jewelry.. mainly b/c this is an item that you are using alot, and subjecting it to a lot of wear and tear amonst everything else. We have people trying to add their golf clubs, bikes, computers to their policy and we have to decline it. We just tell them it is covered under the contents portion.

Though it may be listed on your policy and if it were stolen, you are still subject to the deductible... so if board and bindings were less than your deductible, you have to pay for all of it.

Its a great thing those kids were caught, but all the more reason for CB to stop trying to earn a $ for every little thing and have a free ski/board check like Blue.

JFBB started with the free check this year and it is great, but still only as good as the people running it.

Only if you have the serial number to file a police report and then you have to pay the deductible - which means really not worth it.

We've had stuff stolen from our shop but the boards are far from the door so 9 out of 10 times its small stuff. Actually the only major theft we have had was employees. Usually it was a guy who had been there a while, and when the owner sent him to the storage unit to get more stock, he would swipe a couple pairs of boots or skis and we wouldn't realize it until we inventoried later in the year long after who ever stole it had quit and sold the stuff on Ebay.

Edited by Method9455

At CB I don't let the board out of my sight and if I do its locked down.

About 6 years ago my friend had a board stolen at MC then they tried to hock it at The Loft. The guys from The Loft told the kids to leave the boards and come back in an hour to pick up their money. Well when they returned the State Police were waiting for them. Luckily my friend recorded the serial number and had a good description of the board. The kids were charged and we had to stop at the police station the following week to get his board back.

So where ever you go lock it down with a good cable, not the light ones you can clip with cutting pliers.

Scumbag insurance companies probably won't cover it and when you add jewelry to your policy the rates go through the roof.

Forgot to mention that I have seen Camelback's security in action and they are pretty good at getting some of the crooks. Still there are a number of boards that walk away from any mountain that you go to and you should still lock your board down with a high quality lock. I mentioned in a thread last year that I use the Kryptonite one, seems to be thicker and harder to cut than some of the chepo locks out there.

Protip: If you're leaving your board on a rack unsupervised you should use the toe or anklestrap on your binding to attach the board to the rack. In the event that someone does try to walk by and swoop on your board they will hopefully either; A. be confused as to why the board doesn't just come loose, or B. not want to take out time to unstrap the board from the rack.

The local paper often runs reports of thefts reported at Blue, but very rarely anything re: C'back. Does this mean that there's less theft at C'back? I know C'back runs(?), or at least ran, security patrols of the parking lots.

Camelback has more than blue, if anything. Look in the NYC newspapers, you'll see plenty.

Protip: If you're leaving your board on a rack unsupervised you should use the toe or anklestrap on your binding to attach the board to the rack. In the event that someone does try to walk by and swoop on your board they will hopefully either; A. be confused as to why the board doesn't just come loose, or B. not want to take out time to unstrap the board from the rack.

I've done this before on the handrail at the top of the steps in blue's lodge- not fool proof, but better than nothing.

I probily shouldn't say this. But 2 years ago I had my boards stollen at Camelback. I got them back because security recovered from an employee. This is when I found out that camelback runs sting operations. They will set like a nice flashy pair of race skis out just laying on the snow and see who tries to steal them. Usually they have a security guy watching them in plain cloths so no one will see. I think its great the CB does that

couple years ago my friend got his board stolen and we were in a mad scramble to find find it or the kids. but i told the security what just happened and they said they have found the guy already and was getting processed. I was like damn cb thats impressive.