removing trails from the list on the website so they can claim they are 100% open

jordan

Just a little something i noticed

BB removed

"cross mountain" from the trail list, and JF removed risk it and mad tree glade just so they can claim to be 100% open when JF gets the rest of east mountain open this weekend

if this isnt shady, i dont know what the hell is..

Just my $.02

Jordan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also noticed this earlier. They also removed little cliff huck, from JF. :screwy

The home page now says JFBB is 100% open, when JF still isn't.

I guess they finally joined JF's other diamond's in the sky.....Gonzo's Grind and the infamous The Elevator, R.I.P. Another crime was many,many year's back when they graded off the first headwall's on Challenge and T-Bolt,both trail's used to be MUCH steeper.Anyone remember back in the day when they let Floyd's Folly bump up?It was like a smaller version of Sno's White Lightning when I first started working there(1992).Skeepa Troll responded to call's on it all day long,lolz.

Edited by YummerzZz

Are they elminating cross mountain because they don't want kids from the park going onto Tannenbaum? Or just to say they're 100% open? It is definitely still on the trail map - although other mountains have eliminated trails and it took awhile to fade off their trail maps (Granite View died this year at Mountain Creek, but its still on the map).

Its weird cuz they said they were 100% when cross was still marked as closed, but the cutting things off at JF is just shady. To say we have 100o% of our trails open is one thing, but no one would expect your glades to be open anyway so it could be like 100% trails, no glades for now, and when it snows they could make a big deal about it again.

heh, what JF really needs to do is thin out some of the brush and rocks about 1/4 mile to the skiers right floyds folly. I remember ripping that up during the big winter of 2002 (when we got the christmas and prez day storms) there are some amazing glades back there, but there are too many rocks and low laying brush to be able to ski it on anything less than 3 feet or so of natural snow...

Jordan

Are they elminating cross mountain because they don't want kids from the park going onto Tannenbaum? Or just to say they're 100% open? It is definitely still on the trail map - although other mountains have eliminated trails and it took awhile to fade off their trail maps (Granite View died this year at Mountain Creek, but its still on the map).

Its weird cuz they said they were 100% when cross was still marked as closed, but the cutting things off at JF is just shady. To say we have 100o% of our trails open is one thing, but no one would expect your glades to be open anyway so it could be like 100% trails, no glades for now, and when it snows they could make a big deal about it again.

http://www.onthesnow.com/ski/trailmap_photos/190_window.jpg

apparently skimaps.com is gone, which is very disappointing.

cross mountain was never really a trail, it was just the area to get to different slopes. And as for risk it goes, I havent seen it open once since ive been riding at jfbb. Thats the only trail ive never ridden there.

cross mountain was never really a trail, it was just the area to get to different slopes. And as for risk it goes, I havent seen it open once since ive been riding at jfbb. Thats the only trail ive never ridden there.

it never needed to be open to ski it. Sure, ski patrol rarely opened it, but it was skiable a lot of the time.

wow am i glad someone else started this topic, hell if i did, I am sure by now I would be getting crucified to the cross for dissing the almighty JFBB....well weird huh Peaks lying like that..........and yet....for some small reason I am not shocked at this.....guess the whole time throughout everything I said on here.....that was always the main point I was trying to make.......and I know other mtns do it to, so it doesn't look like i am just out to single them out......I love it, hey i also get the email the they send out, when it said it was a 100% open i nearly busted a nut....what a steamy crock....welcome to the world of politics my friends welcome to it all....

Jordan,that area you mention,we alway's called it the "Far East".It is fun w/natural.It was a area planned for expasion in the past.The drawing's of it looked sick!They even included another small lodge.I doubt that will happen w/all the new townhome's that are going to be built in the East Mtn./former Traxx vicinity.

...Anyone remember back in the day when they let Floyd's Folly bump up?It was like a smaller version of Sno's White Lightning when I first started working there(1992).Skeepa Troll responded to call's on it all day long,lolz.

Floyd is def. a better trail for bumps. They have Thunderbolt bumped up, but I think that is a better trail for free skiing / riding. Floyd is better, because of the steep drop off and it is only that one head wall.

Floyd is def. a better trail for bumps. They have Thunderbolt bumped up, but I think that is a better trail for free skiing / riding. Floyd is better, because of the steep drop off and it is only that one head wall.

Not only that BDK,the headwall was blown bigger and steeper back then.Probally close to 50 degree's and around 20-25 feet taller.It was a challenging trail to put it mildly.

Just a little something i noticed

BB removed

"cross mountain" from the trail list, and JF removed risk it and mad tree glade just so they can claim to be 100% open when JF gets the rest of east mountain open this weekend

if this isnt shady, i dont know what the hell is..

Just my $.02

Jordan

Agreed, very low class. Could at least explain why the trails are not longer listed. JF Management I expected better from you. Especially when you took the lead this season and proclaimed (rightly so) you had the best snow and grooming during the warm weather spell when everyone was struggling. If you want to be the leader, then act the part.

Ha yea I left for dinner and came back and finished up the post and then realized I had hit submit when I left even though I hadn't added the map.

Question about Elevator - I was looking at the older trail map and it looks like it runs parallel to the trail that has been opened on East Mountain all the time. I've never been to JF before this year so its hard to say exactly what is what when their map isn't super accurate. When I was going up there was a trail intersection about midway on the left hand side of the chairlift, and there was a seemingly really steep trail - is that Elevator? I hope its something else because it looked like a hell of a lot of fun when it is covered with snow. But it is a full width trail angled like 30 degrees to the east of the trail that was open, where on the map Elevator looks more like a small trail separated by just a few trees- so did I miss elevator? I would be disappointed if that trail I saw doesn't open because it looked liked a lot of fun.

oops srry 100% open not 1000% and jf shows floyd's folly as closed as tolittle cliff huck maybe they combined it with rivershot or floyd's folly since its the only way down that part and i've heard they got rid of the glades risk it and mad tree

Ha yea I left for dinner and came back and finished up the post and then realized I had hit submit when I left even though I hadn't added the map.

Question about Elevator - I was looking at the older trail map and it looks like it runs parallel to the trail that has been opened on East Mountain all the time. I've never been to JF before this year so its hard to say exactly what is what when their map isn't super accurate. When I was going up there was a trail intersection about midway on the left hand side of the chairlift, and there was a seemingly really steep trail - is that Elevator? I hope its something else because it looked like a hell of a lot of fun when it is covered with snow. But it is a full width trail angled like 30 degrees to the east of the trail that was open, where on the map Elevator looks more like a small trail separated by just a few trees- so did I miss elevator? I would be disappointed if that trail I saw doesn't open because it looked liked a lot of fun.

its the one you saw, slightly off to the right of the final rivershot headwall. no trees seperate elevator and rivershot. A long time ago, elevator was not a trail either, but people skied it when there was enough snow. Finally someone decided to put up a sign probably 10-15 years ago. A couple years back, some idiot decided to blow snow on it and wench an groomer up. My guess is that the trail is ~ 35 degrees (far too steep of a run to try and maintain by grooming.) They managed to get the groomer up a total of one time that season and it quickly turned into a sheet of ice. that season, they had it marked really well so that the average person knew about it, thus it became a clusterfuck, kinda like the first headwall of janes lane, mid-day, on a weekend multiplied by 1000 or so . Before then, it was just something to the side of rivershot, that very few people even knew existed. (most people assumed the last headwall in rivershot was elevator because the sign was ambiguously placed) Anyway, my point is, I think it was a good move to take the trail off the map, because it keeps people who shouldnt be on it, off of it.. it obviously doesent work to try and blow snow on it and groom it out, so its better to leave it natural, and its still there as a gem for the people who know what they are doing, when it snows... :)

jordan

Edited by jordan

Jordan,you are a bit off about The Elevator.It has been a trail since before I ever started working there(1992) and has a had a sign there at least since then.And the descent angle is around 45^ iirc.I though putting the snowmaking over there was a good idea(at the time) too.They ran two corrugated conduit's with snowmaking hose's over there underneath the snow on Rivershot.Because alot of customer's/racer's asked for this is why they did it.A crazy mo-fo cat operator I know drove over the edge to groom a chute that was a little over 2 cat's wide.We never had a winch-cat,Camelback has the only one in PA afaik.That took some gut's,I would have never done that!!!!The problem was once it turned to ice,you couldn't drive down it if it was like that,only when it was soft or had freshie's on it,there was no way to groom upward's on that slope.And we couldn't groom it wider because of risk-management issue's,that's why it looked like a big snowtubing chute.Ehh,it was a nice try though,I respect that.With those fangun's on Rivershot now,enough snow should drift over there when condition's are ripe to powder it up quite nicely.

Jordan,you are a bit off about The Elevator.It has been a trail since before I ever started working there(1992) and has a had a sign there at least since then.And the descent angle is around 45^ iirc.I though putting the snowmaking over there was a good idea(at the time) too.They ran two corrugated conduit's with snowmaking hose's over there underneath the snow on Rivershot.Because alot of customer's/racer's asked for this is why they did it.A crazy mo-fo cat operator I know drove over the edge to groom a chute that was a little over 2 cat's wide.We never had a winch-cat,Camelback has the only one in PA afaik.That took some gut's,I would have never done that!!!!The problem was once it turned to ice,you couldn't drive down it if it was like that,only when it was soft or had freshie's on it,there was no way to groom upward's on that slope.And we couldn't groom it wider because of risk-management issue's,that's why it looked like a big snowtubing chute.Ehh,it was a nice try though,I respect that.With those fangun's on Rivershot now,enough snow should drift over there when condition's are ripe to powder it up quite nicely.

yeah, i know elevator has been a trail for a while, maybe even before i started skiing there ~1991ish, however, i have heard the story of elevator of people who have been there forever, that told me that it never used to be a trail, just something that people skied so much that they eventually put up the sign..

my bad on the wench cat though, i could have sworn i heard that someone wenched a cat to a tree on the top...

oh, and no way elevator is 45 degrees, its steep, but not that steep... although some of the piles to the skiers right of the chute the year they groomed it out may have pushed 45. skiing those piles was the only good thing about elevator that year...

Jordan

Jordan