Paradise, Slow Skiing Trail or Not?

BurtonDominant31

Alright, I personally can't stand the slow skiing trail designation on Paradise, yes I understand its a designated spot for beginners and all, but thats why they have 3 School Hills total on the mountain.

And I can understand Burma Road, but Paradise is such a nice trail, longest one at blue, and (At least from what I think) always has the best conditions on the mountain, plus its probably one of the widest.

Its frustrating because, yeah I'll ride a little bit faster than most of the people on the run when I actually feel like doing it (more and more I avoid it these days...) but I ride in control and basically off to one side of the trail, So I'm not weaving in and out of slower skiers/snowboarders (which in my opinion is more of something to worry about rather than people skiing of to the side a bit faster).

For Instance (prime example of why i avoid the trail) Friday night, conditions were amazing at Blue, not a spot of ice, i decided to take a run down paradise, no one around me, so like always I rode the side, and yes i was going a bit fast, i came around the second turn, no ski patrol (from what i can see) and wabam, some lady comes out of the woods (no lie either) and yells SLOW DOWN! idk, but i just think they take it a bit to far there, to be that desperate to catch people by hiding in the woods is a lot also. No other mountain in this area (That I am aware of) has a designated slow skiing trail, let a lone 4 (Easy Out, Vista, Burma Road, Paradise)

After that run with the lady coming out of the woods to say her words of encouragement we rode the usual non-busy quad up to the top, and as we were passing over the new trail area, all we could hear from the paradise direction was non-stop whistle blowing. Literally.

So whats everyone else's opinion? Now that I got my whole long story out

I don't see why it should be a slow skiing trail. Sometimes you can really get some good speed going down it. I think its funny when they blow at the people who are going a little fast in control, but disregard the people going down even faster completely out of control.

I don't see why it should be a slow skiing trail. Sometimes you can really get some good speed going down it. I think its funny when they blow at the people who are going a little fast in control, but disregard the people going down even faster completely out of control.

You're always out of control :nana

Yesterday a ski patroller was keeping up with me on Paradise until I blew them away, and again yesterday, there was a ski patroller ahead of me on Paradise, and it took me straight running to pass him. Some of them red coats can really fly, lol...not mark miller.

I think the logic is that all of the lifts (Quad, 6-pack, Main Street/Burma, Vista) provide access to a Bunny slope that is designated for slow skiing, so that all people can use all lifts without having to worry about difficulty. Honestly, it IS a nice design for a mountain. The problem is that they don't have another trail like it to leave unrestricted. Blue certainly has something to offer for everyone, but it seems like they only have a little to offer in each area. That makes me a sa-a-a-a-ad panda.

I don't know, I guess you should show up at 7:30am and enjoy the good conditions before any patrollers get out there to whistle at you.

Yea Paradise is one of my favorite trails there - and fuck that I'm skiing fast. If there is a crowd then sure I'm going to slow down, but I'll be damned if when the trail is super empty I'm going to go ridiculously slow on it just because there is a sign that says so. I cruise that trail with big turns and lots of speed and its great, and there is usually better snow there because people get scared on Challenge/Razors and end up plowing down the whole damn thing and scraping it off. That being said I didn't get whistled at last year but it would bother me if it were completely open and people started yelling at you.

As for designated slow areas - Horizon at Mountain Creek is one and it is the most dangerous trail I've ever been on, not all that wide, steep enough to pick up some speed, and intersects almost every trail on the mountain so to get from one black to another you have to cross it. You have a steady stream of people going across it perpendicular at a high speed to go from a black to a black, a steady stream of people going fast DOWN it, and then clumps of people falling on it. All the while there are "Slow Skiing" signs and few patrollers around - and never a whistle to be heard. Maybe they should export the red coats to Mountain Creek because that is a place that actually needs traffic lights or something the way the crowds are, its insane.

thats what i hear... super crowded there. i really dont plan on skiing there ever, especially since i cant stand the crowds at Blue when its 10:00 in the morning...

Toast has less patience for lines then I do....he's the only person that I know that leaves before the mountain even opens :banghead

Are u kidding me they took your ticket??? WTF:huh: since they were kicking u off tha moutain did u unstrap and kick him square in the balls? thats wat i wooda done cuz hell if hes kickin me off the moutain for goin to fast i'd make him remember it the next time he wants to yell at somebody for fast skiing/riding.

Are u kidding me they took your ticket??? WTF:huh: since they were kicking u off tha moutain did u unstrap and kick him square in the balls? thats wat i wooda done cuz hell if hes kickin me off the moutain for goin to fast i'd make him remember it the next time he wants to yell at somebody for fast skiing/riding.

I would just buy another ticket and follow the him around all day.

Paradise is one of the best green trails in Pa...it's up there with Nile.

Nile is up there with paradise..

Paradise is a nice trail. What's the need to go fast? Just relax and ride down buttering and whatever. It's a beginner trail,so they want people to slow down for less intimidation. Just ride at a comfortable pace- no hurry. Sure, i speed down paradise sometimes, but there's no point. If patrollers whistle, i just pull an "i can't hear you, ipod's kickin" attitude and keep strollin along...

i've gotten yelled at multiple times for going up the sides on nile :banghead

really? I've never seen the rangers bother anyone about that and people do it all the time.

Paradise is nowhere near as nice as Nile.

Going back to the original point of this post, the idea of slow skiing areas. Only the bunny hills should be designated as slow skiing areas. If they want to police certain areas by getting whistle-happy when there is alot of traffic then that's fine (they often do this on the meadows at CB) and really they should be able to do this on any green trail where you might expect a lot of muppets. But when there is little or no traffic, why waste a wide open trail?

I just don't see why it can't be a normal Green Circle Trail lacking the Slow Skiing, No reason why beginners could not still ride/ski there its still the same trail, it just allows people who can handle riding a bit quicker, CONTROLLED and un-recklessly to do what they like. Yeah, I wouldn't mind if ski patrol still stood at the corners to see if anyone is riding out of control, weaving in and out of people and just being plain stupid; but whistling at people who can control themselves, and ride like a experienced person at a faster speed is just not needed.

(Just wondering, being I sometimes like being a wise guy, would you get yelled at (if it was even possible) to race on the bunny slopes? Their not labeled a "Slow Skiing" Trail on the Trail map)

If your in favor Paradise becoming a normal trail, without the "Slow Skiing", say "I"