Little Kids in the Terrain Park

johnnyman

From the lifts today my sons and I were amazed by the number of very small kids, some small enough to be using a ski-harness, that were skiing through the terrain park. More than a few kids, and adults, were skiing through as well, obviously with no intention of using a rail or a jump or anything else. At the top were riders sitting and waiting to take their turn, while these others, who to me had no business being in the park, clogged things up. And it wasn't very crowded today. We don't ride, so it doesn't affect me personally, I just don't understand why, with a nearly empty mountain, people feel the need to bring their kids through there. :confused

From the lifts today my sons and I were amazed by the number of very small kids, some small enough to be using a ski-harness, that were skiing through the terrain park. More than a few kids, and adults, were skiing through as well, obviously with no intention of using a rail or a jump or anything else. At the top were riders sitting and waiting to take their turn, while these others, who to me had no business being in the park, clogged things up. And it wasn't very crowded today. We don't ride, so it doesn't affect me personally, I just don't understand why, with a nearly empty mountain, people feel the need to bring their kids through there. :confused

I'm not a park goer either, but enjoy watching the good park goers pull off some serious steeze. I try to stay clear of all jumps, and such so I won't be anyones way. But kids going through Sidewinder at Blue is really dumb, and its painful to my eyes. I know how the park goers that actually want to hit something feel. Even racers going through park bugs me, and I am not even a park goer.

But kids are nosey mofos. You can't do anything about it until they understand they can't do the park, and they have to let the people that actually know how to do it go through the park.

I just don't understand why, with a nearly empty mountain, people feel the need to bring their kids through there. :confused

Because they can. People in general don't care about wrecking other people's time. As long as they are having a good time whatever.

Because they can. People in general don't care about wrecking other people's time. As long as they are having a good time whatever.

the american dream in action......

i like it when people like that are in the parks, it makes for some good hollerin at. i also like it when people bounce the lifts when they stop. that situation allows you to yell and feel good about doing it knowing your saving hundreds of lives.

yelling at stupid people is soooo fun.

These assholes riding through the park with their little kids on leashes are the same ones years ago who used to bitch and moan about snowboarders riding on their trails. I guess things have come full circle.

From their perspective its "these damn snowboarders stole my trail" not the "these damn gappers are going to get me killed" that the park rats feel. I can see it both ways but honestly - they are a danger to themselves and the riders in the park and thats what makes me mad. You can't even say they don't know it becuase there have been a number of times I tried explaining it to people and their response is always I'll ride where I want. Then when they take a kid off on a sled because he got hit in the head with a board and needs a bunch of stiches daddy calls up the lawyer and starts sueing instead of remembering the time he got warned stuff like this will happen.

I think a reason might be that some of these beginners actually want to try something for the first time but they pussy out.
I have no problem with those people, thats part of the learning process.

The problem is the asshats that have no desire or intention of hitting any features and just ski through without paying any attention to what is going on in the park.

This thread should not be tilted little kids in the terrain park. It should be people who shouldnt be in the park. I was just at K-ton and there was a little 5 year old with his dad in the park. I was going to say something because they were standing in the drop zone but for whatever reason I didnt. The kid waits his turn and looks back and says "drop." Honestly thiss kid was 5 at the ondest and i almost shat my pants. I went over to hia dad and was like good job man, you are doing a real good job with your kid. Everyone at the top of the park had the same reaction. The kid dropped in on a 20 footer and cleared the whole thing and he was sliding boxes and shit. DOnt diss on little kids from now on, but yell at people who shouldnt be in the park. This kid should be in teh park.

its the middle school aged kids who really bother me

Hey watch what you say about middle school kids. ;)

but yea, it bothers me sooo much when people who shouldnt be in the park are in there. im telling people to stop sitting in landing zones almost constantly, and it really gets on my nerves. the park pass at CB has helped a load though. I think other resorts should do that.

one of the awesomest things i've ever seen....

Pfeilbr from Newschoolers going over the rainbow at bear, coming off switch to a little kid pretty much leaning up against the end of the rail. talk about a soft landing. that little kid had so much shit squished out of him they had to sled his ass down.

i laughed for like 3 days after seeing that...

I've taken some of my younger students through the park on some busy days(always off to the side)just to show them how dangerous of a place it can be.I explain the what to do and what not to do in the park if they are just riding through.It also shows them how thoughtless and rude people can be in the park can be.

I agree that the park is no place to teach your child to ski/ride,but a lot of park riders have no clue about park manners.

I've taken some of my younger students through the park on some busy days(always off to the side)just to show them how dangerous of a place it can be.I explain the what to do and what not to do in the park if they are just riding through.It also shows them how thoughtless and rude people can be in the park can be.

I agree that the park is no place to teach your child to ski/ride,but a lot of park riders have no clue about park manners.

park riders' manners are getting better in the area, sometimes a little too good. last week no one could figure out who to drop first, everyone wanted to let someone else go first haha

You have to be an idiot to take your kid through a park on a leash...although I was teaching one of Ty's friends to ski when Sno first opened and Highball was still closed, so we had no choice but to ski down Mainline (the only open green circle), which the jibbers had made a bunch of hits on...I suppose I get the same feeling with the majority of boarders not named Zaldon/Glenn/Mark/TP4/et al that wander onto White Lightning...

yo! troll doug...

what is with you and your antagonism towards me in relation to the smart style program? I think most park rats would agree that you are the type of people that shouldn't be in there, the epitomy of a little kid.

Just tossing back the rocks you threw first........

Had to chime in on this one. I don't post here much, but I do lurk a lot. I have an 8 year old who is a half way decent skier, and we went to Okemo last week for our annual week long trip. They have a program called Park & Pipe. I let him do it for the week, after I spoke with the instructor, I found out that the first thing they do is go over park etiquette. I thought this was a great idea, and the instructor explained that he was more more likely to get hurt in the park by not following the rules, than by hitting a rail or going off a jump.

Just my two cents...............................

Edited by Ullr

Hah can't you take a little sarcasm...you're obviously the expert on all things terrain park so it's funny to joke that you started Smartstyle. I'm a good person to be in the terrain park because I practice smartstyle and get air off some of the booters along with some buttering from time to time and carving up the steps..

If thats all it is, then it's cool, however I am not an expert on all things park, yet.

Seriously though, having spent the amount of time in the parks across the entire nation that I have and having witnessed all of the stupid stuff - there is only one program that works really well and that is park passes.

It really is just bad judgement by the parents. More apparent at Bear and Big Boulder, I've seen some really bad accidents and numerous close calls. There are plenty of other areas in ehich people can learn. If the park had a double diamond on it, or park pass/ pay release it lessens the chance of random people in there. Even so, it just seems that people make a point to go down these trails with no intentions of hitting the features seriously. I mean lots of times I won't try new tricks because i'm scared someone is behind me tailing, beside me, or worse case scenario in my landing area. :banghead I just don't get it. This recently happened this past weekend in Vermont when me and STIBALLIN were there. We happened to be filming..

Check the video here -->