Cinco de mayo rail jam....

Do the employees need to get paid?

They are getting paid for this event anyhow - no extra cost.

Equipment maintained/repaired?

HUH?

Food and beverage provided?

It costs $7.50 for a cheesburger and a coke - you make money or break even.

Lift service?

COOL!!! so there is going to be lift service at this event?

Advertising is not free either.

Not at this late point. Viral Marketing now, do you know what that is?

Advertising does not guarantee people or that more people will participate.

no advertising will guarantee minimal turn out tooooooo

How would you plan to pay for all these expenses while only charging $10 per competitor?

Did you happen to observe the Buckmans rail jam on a Presidents weekend day? Do you know what they charged to hit a sketchy box and rail? Or even how many were there. We are talking an after season event when everyone is sad to put away thier gear.

Raise the price?

Talk to some people in the know about events. You can charge especially if the lift is open.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sponsorship sounds easy, but companies want exposure in exchange for dollars.....

How much exposure are they getting by not coming? They have or can get 08 gear and would be happy to show it off. Know any sponsors?

how much exposure is the event going to give them? How many thousands of people are going to be there?

You're right, if you don't promote it no sponsors are going to want to be there. Ever thought of having a sponsor help pay for the advertising or is that just not done?

To do everything you're talking about would require the event to make a profit and is not likely to happen.

What did I talk about that requires you to make a profit? you are having this event as a expense.. correct? Thank you for leaving the door open. I am going to take the optmistic standpoint and hope that you guys might notch this event up a few levels.

Why can't you be happy that your mountain is doing this event and go there and have fun?

I am happy and I will have fun running my mouth, watching, filming and trying to help promote the sport - it's just that you guys are more deserving to have a regional class event not some hokey local thing.

The Buckmans Jam was the most well put together and thought out jam event I have ever seen. Take some lessons.

Edited by Papasteeze

Papa,

Can you show me and event that did those things, held in early May, on a Pa. mountain that suceeded? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.... Unless it is your money-or your shareholders money.

How much do you think doing what you suggested would cost?

A late May rail jam is a high risk venture. Rain, warm weather etc. can limit it. You suggested they have the entire mountain open. Have you looked a the web cam?

Papa,

Can you show me and event that did those things, held in early May, on a Pa. mountain that suceeded? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.... Unless it is your money-or your shareholders money.

How much do you think doing what you suggested would cost?

A late May rail jam is a high risk venture. Rain, warm weather etc. can limit it. You suggested they have the entire mountain open. Have you looked a the web cam?

I am only talking about boulder trail - will there be enough snow on May 5th (not late May) to have 2 lanes of jibs and jumps? Definitly a risk regarding rain.. last time I looked at the web cam (today) there is still enough snow on tannebaum to go top to bottom. Boulder was 10's of feet deep at the jumps I am sure there will still be plenty.

What do I think it will cost? They tell me at Windham that they had 300 people at thier END OF MAY jam last year and expect more this year. I don't think this event should cost anymore than they are already projected to spend. In reality it is too late to do much unless someone jumps on the stick NOW. What does that lift cost to run per hour?

Just because no one has done it before is the exact reason why this has the potential to be huge!!!!

Not totally getting the whole argument- don't care to read. About profits, my view is that bb doesn't need to make money off of the jam. Even if they lose money (which is pretty unlikely), their dedication to late season riding and having a sick park will help them break even next season.

Keep flaming, but it's not really serious- bb is having a rail jam, whether they're losing or gaining money. It is sick.

On another note, I'll be there. Most likely not riding.......but we'll see how the ankle is...

Not totally getting the whole argument- don't care to read. About profits, my view is that bb doesn't need to make money off of the jam. Even if they lose money (which is pretty unlikely), their dedication to late season riding and having a sick park will help them break even next season.

Keep flaming, but it's not really serious- bb is having a rail jam, whether they're losing or gaining money. It is sick.

On another note, I'll be there. Most likely not riding.......but we'll see how the ankle is...

There is no argument other than some BB staff poo pooing ideas that I post to make the event better. It's an interesting dynamic not much different than what I get online from CB people.

Whats even more interesting is that I get pounced on by people whose business that I actively promote and encourage.

What is viral marketing???

Nevermind... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing

I majored in marketing and didn't know what it was but it's pretty new..

Yeah viral marketing sounds good..Big Boulder are you listening???

thanks for the link Doug. wikipedia describes all of the aspects really well.

...Have you looked a the web cam?

Everything that you see on the web cam was closed, right before the snowmobile races...those trails weren't open during April. All of the snow on those trails was pushed around to form a race course, that's why it looks so bad. The trails on the east side of the mountain were open and in mid winter shape. I'm not sure how they are now, but BB trail should still have enough to go top to bottom. They would probably have to push a lot of snow around at the top and bottom of the lift, though.

There is no argument other than some BB staff poo pooing ideas that I post to make the event better. It's an interesting dynamic not much different than what I get online from CB people.

First of all I am not a BB staff person "poo pooing" your ideas. Second, if ski area staff are always "poo pooing" your ideas, maybe that should tell you something. I would think that ski area staff know more about running their events and areas then you.

Whats even more interesting is that I get pounced on by people whose business that I actively promote and encourage.

I don't see how you are promoting and encouraging a business when you make sarcastic posts like the one that started this.

You make posts stating how nothing done is good enough and you can always make it better and bigger and then make comments stating you know nothing, talk about opening the door. I merely stepped through the door and pointed out the facts that there are costs associated with running a ski area and things are not free just because it is late season. The Buckman's Rail Jam was during President's Week which is the busiest week in this area. It makes sense to spend money, get sponsorship, and promote a big event during that time. In MY opinion it makes no sense to layout that kind of money in May!

You got to spend a little to make a little..... I know that I would have advertised. I would have blown snow a week ago when it was cold enough and advertised the hell out of it... But hey, I don't know the costs.... Nothing ventured nothing gained... maybe next year.

This quote shows how little you actually know of marketing/operating a ski resort. Self admittedly you do not know the costs associated, so how can you effectively operate/market the event/resort? Tell me who in the world would even suggest making snow in April at BB?

If you are the marketing god of all events/ski areas then maybe you should put your money where your mouth is, contact BB, sponsor and run the Papasteeze Rail Jam!

So, Crayfish.

Are you sure you are not from CB cause you sure sound a lot like the same people that came here after they shut thier board down. the poo pooing is typical to that region

Now.. what makes you such the expert on telling me that I don't know anything? WHo are you and what is your involvement with snow sports? The ironic part of this was that it was fluffy that I was referring to in the above quoted post, not you! I love how you people come on here, attacking my opinions and suggestions, but won't say who you are or offer any encouragement.

So Crayfish.. ever stop and think that I might have more involvement with events on a local, regional and national scale than the people putting this event on. Could that be possible? Are you even aware of my status in the National freestyle scene? what are your qualifications?

What is your status in the National Freestyle scene??? I thought you were just a parent of a promising young jib-honk???

status is subjective Doug.. in other words does anyone know who you are outside of PASR in the free riding scene or what ever you call the type of skiing that you do?

jesus doug whats it to you anyhow? Your post doesn't sound much different than some of those cb'ers.....? So narrow minded.....

Are you trying to goad me into claiming this and that or name dropping or giving you detailed schedules and itineraries from each comp or park visit over the last 3 years or copies of address books and emails or recordings of phone calls, film, reciepts, pm's, mb threads, to establish some type of credibility because of what?

I thought you smarter than that than stoop to that type of post trying to call me out. But yeah if you don't know, then I can see how people like Crayfish don't know either. They get all uppity when they think someone makes a claim that isn't (in thier eyes) qualified to do so.

Edited by Papasteeze

Duh...then don't go claiming shit like this..

Are you even aware of my status in the National freestyle scene? what are your qualifications?

Anyway PM me about the over 21 geezer club on Newschoolers...

Like I was saying if you don't know what it is then you don't need to know. capiche? My post was not directed to you, furthermore this is a park thing well away from Blue. As far as the over 21 cult goes. start another thread.

to papasteezecheeze

dude stop being such a super dad . shit is annoyying. go drink some beer and watch baseball , winter is over .

I am far from rich you think I am annoying and you think winter is over then there is no need to come back here. In case you hadn't noticed this is primarily a snow website.

1.Splooshie

2.youngstunta

3.KT

4.brtndominant

5.kyle*

6.nipples

7.shadows*

8.jessica anne

9.gurp

10.kate

11.k2fugative

12.welzofilms

13.sno mountain skier

14.wolverine21

15.Big Ben if he can get off of beat ass work.

^hahahaha

oh and papasteeze, your son just messaged me on NS, hes still on and he wont reply.... haha this is one of my pet peeves, could you please tell him to awnser back? :rofl

Edited by splooshie

oh and papasteeze, your son just messaged me on NS, hes still on and he wont reply.... haha this is one of my pet peeves, could you please tell him to awnser back? :rofl

He is off to bed now, he does that a lot, I frequently get messages that he is not answering people. He probably didn't log off. I know he spends a lot of time on myspace, try messaging him there.

1.Splooshie

2.youngstunta

3.KT

4.brtndominant

5.kyle*

6.nipples

7.shadows*

8.jessica anne

9.gurp

10.kate

11.k2fugative

12.welzofilms

13.sno mountain skier

14.wolverine21

16. Abe Lincoln

17. Mike Strand (CB fired me and didn't let me compete in pipe...i will take my revenge) hahaha c u guys there!!!

anyone else going to A session COC!?!?!?!

hahaha mike, just cause you were on staff doesn't mean that you can go inverted in the pipe.. silly

1.Splooshie

2.youngstunta

3.KT

4.brtndominant

5.kyle*

6.nipples

7.shadows*

8.jessica anne

9.gurp

10.kate

11.k2fugative

12.welzofilms

13.sno mountain skier

14.wolverine21

16. Abe Lincoln

17. Mike Strand (CB fired me and didn't let me compete in pipe...i will take my revenge) hahaha c u guys there!!!

18. Papasteeze and Crayfish

Edited by Papasteeze

- papasteezecheeze

i never said you were rich man, b/c i doubt you are . No i do not think winter is over, i know its over since it is now spring in the northern hemisphere of the world. I own a light up globe and took 5th grade science man, cut me some slack.

1.Splooshie

2.youngstunta

3.KT

4.brtndominant

5.kyle*

6.nipples

7.shadows*

8.jessica anne

9.gurp

10.kate

11.k2fugative

12.welzofilms

13.sno mountain skier

14.wolverine21

16. Abe Lincoln

18. Papasteeze and Crayfish

19.POOP