stats comment again

sibhusky

Hey, Chris Becker, how do you ski at Killington and only accumulate 18 vertical feet? Were you just climbing to the lift and skiing back to the edge of the snow 9 times? Two feet per run?

Vertical feet, for the uninitiated, is the amount of feet from the top of the lift (or the place you then hiked up to) to the bottom of the lift (or your car if you go straight home after one run). Doesn't matter the LENGTH of the run, all that matters is the DROP. Contact your resort for lift stats or wear an altimeter.

Edited by sibhusky

can someone suggest a reletlivitly good and semi :golp: cheep altimeter?

If you just need the altimeter function there are a couple things you can do.

1) Look around on outdoorsy forums or ebay for older Garmin/Magellan GPS units. Oftentimes they have the older grayscale screen units going for the $50-100 range.

2) Look up Highgear watches. They make stuff that from what I've heard is reliable and pretty durable around the $70-120 range.

Two: Avocet watch and the Brunton thing you wear around your neck. Both about the same price. You can change your own battery on the Brunton. It is supposedly "more accurate" than the Avocet, but frankly, I'd calibrate it the first few days to figure out how much it is usually off. I think it's called the Summit or something like that. They make a lot of altimeters.

I've had THREE Avocets. One was great, one was kind of great the first two years, the third was miserable from day one. I am currently using the Brunton Summit.

Edited by sibhusky

hey sib, think you can get 2mil this year? i'd like to see that.
Highly unlikely. 1) I am still recovering from my accident. I do not have full use of my left hand and wrist and I still have pain. 2) The mountain hasn't even opened yet and so far there is NO SNOW.

My goal is 1 million and I think that is iffy. I know I will be slowing down a bit due to fear, for instance. I consider it a "healing" year.

Tonight's web cam: southsummitcamera.jpg

Edited by sibhusky

Greek PEak needs a high soeed lift,,5k per hour is such a slow pace..

Wow, I can only imagine getting on a fixed-grip lift 120 straight times. When Ty wanted to do 20 laps down Highball at Sno, it almost killed me. I guess if you're doing a marathon, though, napping on the slow ride up is a good thing.

Greek PEak needs a high soeed lift,,5k per hour is such a slow pace..

You're telling me! I used to be in Marketing there and it's by far their biggest down fall, but they're not about to get one anytime soon! Ya gotta love the new 30 million dollar indoor waterpark and hotel though! GO GREEK! :banghead

Wow, I can only imagine getting on a fixed-grip lift 120 straight times. When Ty wanted to do 20 laps down Highball at Sno, it almost killed me. I guess if you're doing a marathon, though, napping on the slow ride up is a good thing.

... more time to munch on the snack you've packed.