Researching Skis

nick malozzi

I know a lot of you are going to give me hell for this, but I am in the market for some skis. I'm moving to boulder in a few months, and over the past few years, I've really gotten into backpacking. I'd really like to get into some back country exploration while I'm out there, and know damn well that carrying a board around will really be difficult. So I'm looking into learning to ski, and eventually telemark. I want to get some practice though before going out to the back country and killing myself. I have NO idea what is good in the ski world, so I am looking for your advice. I want something that is good and solid, and is an all around ski. If i pick it up quickly (which i have a feeling i will since, ive been ice skating since i was 5) you know damn well i'm going to want to huck myself off a few jumps. With that said, a twin tip would be nice. I'd also like something a tad on the fatter end since they may eventually be used in the back country for my first couple of trips while i feel out my next buy. I need advice on boots, and bindings as well, because i really have no idea. Also, price is a consideration as well. Long story shot, i'm looking for:

-Fairly Price Skis/Boots/Bindings

-Twin Tip

-On the Wide Side

-Good To Learn On

-Good Solid Construction

-I am 5'9" 165lbs size 10

I'm all ears! I also wouldn't be against used equipment. So if you have anything sitting around let me know!

Edited by nick malozzi

This is kinda funny. Nick wants to switch to skiing and I want to switch to snowboarding. I bought a board and bindings today and still need to get boots.

Good Luck, Nick. I'd give you some advice, but I'm not too good with twins or fat skis. I'm sure Doug will recommend a pair of Pontoons :lol:

I know a lot of you are going to give me hell for this, but I am in the market for some skis. I'm moving to boulder in a few months, and over the past few years, I've really gotten into backpacking. I'd really like to get into some back country exploration while I'm out there, and know damn well that carrying a board around will really be difficult. So I'm looking into learning to ski, and eventually telemark. I want to get some practice though before going out to the back country and killing myself. I have NO idea what is good in the ski world, so I am looking for your advice. I want something that is good and solid, and is an all around ski. If i pick it up quickly (which i have a feeling i will since, ive been ice skating since i was 5) you know damn well i'm going to want to huck myself off a few jumps. With that said, a twin tip would be nice. I'd also like something a tad on the fatter end since they may eventually be used in the back country for my first couple of trips while i feel out my next buy. I need advice on boots, and bindings as well, because i really have no idea. Also, price is a consideration as well. Long story shot, i'm looking for:

-Fairly Price Skis/Boots/Bindings

-Twin Tip

-On the Wide Side

-Good To Learn On

-Good Solid Construction

-I am 5'9" 165lbs size 10

I'm all ears! I also wouldn't be against used equipment. So if you have anything sitting around let me know!

Who are you and what have you done with Nick?

I'm not giving up snowboarding in any way, haha trust me. I just really don't dig those split boards and I've always thought tele marking was sweet, and would love to do it in the back country eventually. I'll still be taking my board out there too! I just want to experience as much as I can before I die, haha.

Oh, and I've just always wanted to prove the skiing is easier then snowboarding, and this is the only way to prove it. You better believe if i get a pair this season I'm gonna be owning atomic Jeff

Edited by nick malozzi

Bindings:

Go with the Marker Duke's, but I don't think they will be cheap. They are specifically designed to be able to free heel for hiking with skins from what I have read.

Skis:

I have always been a K2 and now a Volkl fan since K2 bought Volkl (Plus, I think K2 just bought Line also) K2 has their $h*+ together when it comes to backcountry skis. I wouldn't recommend the Pontoons for Pocono skiing though, but I would try the Seth Pistol or the Public Enemy and from Volkl the Mantra.

Good Luck

Oh, BTW, skiing is not easier to learn than riding. I teach at BC and I took 1 board lesson last year for the first time in 30 years of skiing. Nailed it. My question is, can't these snowboards go any faster? (lol)

I think Winterwarlock pointed you in the right direction for what you're looking for. Your ideal set up (what you're looking for) won't be cheap... Not even a little bit...

I'd reccomend the Duke as well for a binding, but only if you are going to be mainly in the backcountry and hiking long distances. If you can give up the skins and boot pack it the Jester or any other binding would work just fine.

I have the Volkl Mantra's with the Jester on them and I love them. They are perfect for east coast riding and there isn't much out west they can't handle. However the Mantras are not a full twin tip. If you're looking to float and ski backwards agressively try the Volkl Gotama. It's a little wider and fully twinned. The Seth isn't a bad option, but I think the Volkl's ski better. I had a chance to ski the K2 Coomba with the Duke last weekend at Stowe and I thought was a pretty sweet set-up, but it's not a twin. The Line Prophet 100 isn't a bad choice either... but I'd stick with the good stuff.

Let's see other skis to consider...

Dynastar Big Trouble

Dynastar Legend Series

Rossi Brigade or Steeze

Volkl Bridge

Salomon Gun

Head Monster 88 or whatever the large one is... 92 maybe?

I've been on Dynastar Big Troubles for 2 years now and I've enjoyed them a lot. However, I think this year I'm gonna go for something a little softer like the Line Elizabeth. The big troubles are a little on the heavy side for me to want to be using them for hiking and getting into the backcountry all the time, but they are great for really ripping.

Since you're a beginner you might find yourself enjoying a ski a little softer and lighter weight like the Salomon Gun that ski4food mentioned. This is one of the more popular hiking skis out west due to its light weight. No its not something I'd wanna straight line runs in AK with, but it would be a pretty good wide ski for a beginner. Another bonus is that there are tons of these on the barely used/backstock market, so you could likely find a decent deal on it. Keep checking tetongravity.com's gear swap forum. People are always selling old touring setups for south of $200 and this might be a good way to see if you like it.

Oh, and I've just always wanted to prove the skiing is easier then snowboarding, and this is the only way to prove it. You better believe if i get a pair this season I'm gonna be owning atomic Jeff

Back when I skied with you, I sucked.

As for that debate, I've done both and I will say this. Snowboarding is harder to start out, but easier to be good at. Skiing is very easy to start out, but much harder to get to an expert level.

seths with dukes is a sick setup. i'd recommend the seth over either the mantra or gotama for you for the sheer fact that even as an advanced skier's ski, the seth is still really easy to ski at slower speeds, which is not the case for the manta (don't know about the gotama, but from what i've heard, its true for them as well.) i have a pair of seths and love them, since they're great in soft snow, and still skiable on the groomers around here. the only thing they're not so hot in is really beat up cruddy frozen/thawed/refrozen stuff because of the soft tip. dukes ski really well, but are certainly not cheap.

So, Nick, I'm gonna guess that being from both Bethlehem and Kutztown you are a student at KU and are graduating in Dec. Hence the reason for moving to Boulder, CO and a new job. If I am right...Congratulations on Graduation early. Now, one other thing you may want in CO is a mountain bike. I live in Kutztown and I have a frame for sale if you might be interested.

So, Nick, I'm gonna guess that being from both Bethlehem and Kutztown you are a student at KU and are graduating in Dec. Hence the reason for moving to Boulder, CO and a new job. If I am right...Congratulations on Graduation early. Now, one other thing you may want in CO is a mountain bike. I live in Kutztown and I have a frame for sale if you might be interested.

KU Grad as of next month. Thanks for the congrats on graduating early, but I am actually graduating a semester late, haha. Although I transfered twice and KU told me I'd never be able to graduate in 4.5 years. So I am happily proving them wrong.

Yes, I'll be moving to Boulder in May once my girlfriend graduates. I'll be making a handful of trips out there (i hope) this winter to interview and nail down an apartment.

Regrettably for you I already own a bike, haha. I'm sure I'll eventually be in the market for something with some more travel, but for now my full suspension GT LTS 3 will do me just fine. I would like to get myself another kayak before I get out there though.

Well if you change your mind about the bike frame, it's an '04 Giant VT3 with 5-5.75" of sweet travel (I still have the fork, too). Check it out on www.bikevmb.com in the classified section.

Hope the GF rides/skis too. Maybe we'll cross paths soon. I read in another thread you are gonna be working the ticket booth at BC. I'll try and look you up during some down time at the Creek.

Good luck with the backcountry ski set up. Just remember, anything is better than nothing and it ain't the skis it's the engine that makes 'em go.