1/2/08 More lift closures.

pyro_boarder

In case any one has plans to go tonight, they closed the Sullivan shortly after 3 and the Stevenson was closed before i arrived. The Bailey Lift and the Mark Anthony Lift were open. You could check the web cam to see if they start running it again but i somehow doubt that. Conditions were mostly hard pack due to the wind blowing snow off of the steep trails. The other slopes were probably ok, but I didn't take notice.

Because Camelback insists on closing lifts. It would be nice if someone would at least post lift closures on-line either here or on their website when they decide to pull stuff like this.

You guys are kidding , right? Have you stepped outside today? 60-70+ mph gusts at the top, coming from a few directions. I don't care what kind of detachable lift you have (unless it is underground), it is irresponsible if not stupid to run them in that wind. If any of you really knew anything about lift ops and running capacities you would understand. Don't bother flaming me, stating about how Blue does it and other mountains. If in fact they do, in the same conditions (wind speed, direction, etc) then they are wrong.

You guys are kidding , right? Have you stepped outside today? 60-70+ mph gusts at the top, coming from a few directions. I don't care what kind of detachable lift you have (unless it is underground), it is irresponsible if not stupid to run them in that wind. If any of you really knew anything about lift ops and running capacities you would understand. Don't bother flaming me, stating about how Blue does it and other mountains. If in fact they do, in the same conditions (wind speed, direction, etc) then they are wrong.

We pull the plug on our high speed lift above the treeline probably 3 times a week here. Thats above the treeline though, and at the highest point for miles in all directions. Usually we only get gusts of 60-70. I'm confused how CB consistantly gets these wind speeds in a tree filled area when wind exposure is only from one direction.

I'm not saying you're wrong about shutting down lifts, but as was discussed in another of these threads, I'm just curiuos why CB has to shut things down so often and others do not. I don't ever remember it being that windy on the days they did shut it down due to wind. I'd really look in to the calibration of the instruments being used, and how to better wind protect the lift.

Your wrong, I was there, it was 60 - 70 mph gusts. Using the chairs hitting the towers as your decision point is like putting the condom on after you've "finished." The top of both the HSQ's are very exposed (especially the Stevenson) and when you have less exposed, fixed grips to the top (access to most of the mountain) it just makes sense to use them instead.

And of course I stand up for CB. It's my home mountain and place of work. If you also notice, I never go on other mountains boards and "bash" them (even though I could). That would just be a waste of time and very unproductive.

I never go on other mountains boards and "bash" them (even though I could). That would just be a waste of time and very unproductive.

i hate to say it but this isn't camelbacks message board, they couldn't handle it.

There's no way the wind gusts were 60-70mph at the top of Camelback...that's nearly Hurricane force..it was windy at the top of Blue...maybe 25mph tops which is very strong winds..

im gonna stick up for cb on this one...the few times ive been there, it was insanely windy at the top. i was once at blue during morning and cb at night, and blue was calm while at cb later i was letting the wind move me across traverses.

My sisters friend was at CB last night and she said that the winds felt more like 54 mph. My brother is a car mechanic and he once took a physics class and he said that 54 mph is not fast enough to close a HSQ. CB should really re-calibrate their wind speed sensors because they are off by at least 16 mph.

Better to be safe than sued.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?he...bb-a20094b465e9

How much money do you think Mount Sunapee will have to pay after that one. If Camelback ever decided to change their lift policy and something happened they would be screwed.

Can we stop beating this dead horse yet? We got it, Camelback closes lifts when it gets windy. That is not going to change, no amount of you guys ripping is going to change it. You know why? Because you are not going to go there anyway. The lift got closed for 3-4 hours on a night when few where there and conditions where not safe to run it in. If some one's life depending on them being able to run it, they surely could have run it. But is it worth having a problem on a night like that? What if a wind gust comes and it goes from being 50 mph to 70mph and a chair does bang into a tower? What if it does bounce randomly and hurt someone? Is it worth it? No it is not. Running it on a night when it is 70mph wind isn't going to get anyone to go there. You aren't going to come in here and post something like "Hey I saw the weather last night at Camelback was really windy and they ran the lifts, sweet I'm so going tomorrow because of that." It just isn't going to happen. It effects few people, for a small amount of time, and would you WANT to ride the lift up in 40 mile and hour wind? Have you ever even stood in 40 mile an hour wind? I can't imagine riding in it. You guys are just bitching for the sake of bitching about Camelback, it was kind of funny for a year there, but by year 3 it is lame and childish. Lets talk about things that could change and actually have an impact on people. If I am complaining about Blue's slow trail roll out - it effects my decision to go and buy a lift ticket to the mountain, or even a season pass there. You complaining about a lift closure that didn't affect you at all is ridiculous. I was legitimately deterred from going to Blue a few days this year because the trails that are good were not open at the time. Camelback being conservative about running their lifts in high wind doesn't make me not go there. I don't like when they close it for lack of crowds but that is a different story because it would effect me randomly when I got there with no warning. If you see a forecast of wind over 35 don't go to Camelback, period.

And as a sailor, I'm saying you guys don't understand wind's power. Go try and stand in legit 40mph wind and tell me you could ski in it. 25 mph wind is when it starts whistling in your ears. By 35 you have trouble walking.

F29F96B736B144DE29DF26BA7D4183DD2.jpg

http://www.howtoons.com/toon/the-beaufort-scale/

That cartoon shows that no, it wasn't 70mph at Camelback that day. If it was, the "country side would be devastated". But 35 is realistic and it is difficult to imagine wanting to ride in that. And sure the lift COULD be run in a high wind speed, but a factor of safety is always comforting. Do you really want to risk getting knocked out of a chairlift and killed in order to ride Nile Mile? The lift doesn't have to fail for you to fall out. Honestly its ridiculous.

BULL SHIT

I was on a lift that actually blew so f'n hard I was looking straight down. GUsts were to 60mph++++++++ today at Jackson hole

ooooops sorry I just read the rest of the thread...

BULL SHIT

I was on a lift that actually blew so f'n hard I was looking straight down. GUsts were to 60mph++++++++ today at Jackson hole

ooooops sorry I just read the rest of the thread...

Really? Not according to the official weather report. Max winds of 29 mph. HMMM Who is spouting the bs?

gusts are different. he is right. my flight was cancelled into jackson valley (along with a lot of others) because of the winds gusting too high. imagine it on the mountain. he is for real for once.

Maximum gusts listed for yesterday in JH were only 41 mph