MLK morning crowd?

IrishSnow686

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now your questioning my being of an instructor?!?! That's disrespectful. I am a certified P.S.I.A. and as are all the instructors at Blue a much better skiier then you all.

Bullshit, one of the kids from my high school is up at Stratton as an instructor - he was not even in the ten best riders from our school, and we don't even have a lot of good riders at our school. We had about 10 serious riders, and he was #11. When I was up at Mount Snow I had a great instructor, spent several hours of one on one coaching time with him, and learned more than I've learned in years. I was asking him how he got into being an instructor, and he was telling me how when he started he was not even a decent snowboarder but as he progressed what he could coach progressed and now hes their go-to guy for the most advanced lessons. Being an instructor doesn't mean you are good, and thats in Vermont. You can't tell me that being an instructor at any of the podunk mountains in the Poconos is a prestigious title that separates those who can ski & ride from those that don't. Not only is that arrogant but it is small minded. I'm sure your hardcore instruction job doesn't give you much time to travel, but get out more and you will see that anyone can be an expert rider in PA the mountains are just not hard enough. Where are the chutes at Blue? Where are the glades? Where are the cliffs? You don't have that stuff, so basically you are king of the steep, middle length groomed trail. Congratulations. And "groomed" is being generous, I have not seen a trail as bad as Razors Edge and Challenge were on Friday in about 2 years, it was brutally bad. I realize there where crowds scraping down them in droves, but that was bad.

As for ski team owning the mountain. Grow up, racing brings some money to the mountain - but how many more people came up and where stoked over the park? The park brings much much more money to the mountain than racing does. A certain number of people come up and pay extra to race, and a certain number of people come up solely for the park. Lets generously say that number is even, which is definately is not. So 100 racers makes more for the mountain than 100 park riders with season passes. Even then, the mountain still has more interest in the park being good than the racing course being good.

Why? Because it is what attracts new people to the sport. How many kids see the olympics on TV and say "Mommy I want to race!" compared to the number that see the X Games and say they want to learn to snowboard to do THAT. The park is what is keeping the sport alive. So sure the racers get their closed trails for safety reasons, but there is a reason the mountain is investing more into the park every year, and not into building another racing trail. So get off your high horse, at some point you guys trashing the park is worse for the mountain than if you are not there at all. And as soon as someone gets killed in the park during one of your lessons for skiing through a blind spot, I think you will be restricted to the closed racing trails. So do us all a favor and lets avoid that happening.

I usually don't even use the grammar rebuttal, but damn dude, you should work on your English.

Edited by Method9455

I will not be taking any more questions or comments tonight so once again I hope to see you on the slopes at Blue for a Super Martin Luther Kind Day weekend!

and remember,

Come Touch the Sky, at BLUE!!

Dude your first or second post of this thread told everyone to ski somewhere else if they dont like your policies. :confused

Now your questioning my being of an instructor?!?! That's disrespectful. I am a certified P.S.I.A. and as are all the instructors at Blue a much better skiier then you all.

pretty sure you are wrong right there

i am 99% sure that there are many ppl who are much better than you here

one being Ski another being atomic when he isnt hurt, snowboarding wise i bet that d harrisburg is better than most on the blue staff

and i am wondering

are you a robot?

Bullshit, one of the kids from my high school is up at Stratton as an instructor - he was not even in the ten best riders from our school, and we don't even have a lot of good riders at our school. We had about 10 serious riders, and he was #11. When I was up at Mount Snow I had a great instructor, spent several hours of one on one coaching time with him, and learned more than I've learned in years. I was asking him how he got into being an instructor, and he was telling me how when he started he was not even a decent snowboarder but as he progressed what he could coach progressed and now hes their go-to guy for the most advanced lessons. Being an instructor doesn't mean you are good, and thats in Vermont. You can't tell me that being an instructor at any of the podunk mountains in the Poconos is a prestigious title that separates those who can ski & ride from those that don't. Not only is that arrogant but it is small minded. I'm sure your hardcore instruction job doesn't give you much time to travel, but get out more and you will see that anyone can be an expert rider in PA the mountains are just not hard enough. Where are the chutes at Blue? Where are the glades? Where are the cliffs? You don't have that stuff, so basically you are king of the steep, middle length groomed trail. Congratulations. And "groomed" is being generous, I have not seen a trail as bad as Razors Edge and Challenge were on Friday in about 2 years, it was brutally bad. I realize there where crowds scraping down them in droves, but that was bad.

As for ski team owning the mountain. Grow up, racing brings some money to the mountain - but how many more people came up and where stoked over the park? The park brings much much more money to the mountain than racing does. A certain number of people come up and pay extra to race, and a certain number of people come up solely for the park. Lets generously say that number is even, which is definately is not. So 100 racers makes more for the mountain than 100 park riders with season passes. Even then, the mountain still has more interest in the park being good than the racing course being good.

Why? Because it is what attracts new people to the sport. How many kids see the olympics on TV and say "Mommy I want to race!" compared to the number that see the X Games and say they want to learn to snowboard to do THAT. The park is what is keeping the sport alive. So sure the racers get their closed trails for safety reasons, but there is a reason the mountain is investing more into the park every year, and not into building another racing trail. So get off your high horse, at some point you guys trashing the park is worse for the mountain than if you are not there at all. And as soon as someone gets killed in the park during one of your lessons for skiing through a blind spot, I think you will be restricted to the closed racing trails. So do us all a favor and lets avoid that happening.

I usually don't even use the grammar rebuttal, but damn dude, you should work on your English.

I kind of disagree with that. But it is bringing a lot of morons to the sport, who think that they can do what they see in the x-games only to end up in the hospital.

... we do have many more rights that your typical skiier or border does not have, but, we do not disrespect anybody. ...

Like cutting in line, in front of customers who have paid :thumbdown ? I've had that attempted at a couple places. One nice thing is that it has never happened at JF. I've actually had instructors tell me to go before them at JF :bow .

i fail to see how paying more gives anyone the right to break rules, smartstyle or other, and endanger other people. just plain wrong. :banghead

Agreed

I'll give it to the instructors/lessons to cut the line. If I was paying for a timed lesson and ended up spending most of it in line I'd be pretty pissed.

Other than that lessons should stay well within the bounds of smartstyle/the skiers responsibility code. Bringing a lesson into the park is just plain wrong. If you are not going to hit any of the features then you should not be on that trail plain and simple. Take Freestyle lessons in there all you want and teach them how to use the features, but a plain learn to ski or learn to ski better class should never go into the park.

Just because I've got the money to buy an airplane doesn't mean I should be allowed to fly it.

It's not the instructors cutting the lines, it the people in their lesson. Keep in mind they paid more than the average skier for the lesson and lift ticket and they don't have an unlimited time frame to work with. I wouldn't want to spend any lesson, program, or any type of time restricted activity in the lift line.

Someone needs to teach Blue's ski team Smartstyle...

It's that simple.

The Blue Mountain race team has as much of a right to the terrain runs if not more then the common skiier or border has.

They are not above the suggested rules but often act like it. It's prevalent stereotype at every hill. There is no point in ripping turns through a terrain park is there?

if they have the right to come through the park when they have a trail for themselves, then we all have a right to go do some gate training when they are out.

Park passes!!! ............... numbnuts.....

see you in the gates tomorrow. if they ask, i'll say that MJS told me that i could.

pics or it didn't happen!

Well our "blue coats" mean much more to the happiness of our customers then your green one day passes. As an instructor, our goal is to please everyone, not just someone. So, we must go with majority.

hmmmmmm

As a roleplayer, I typically like to put on my robe and wizard hat...

oh man.... thats an epic one! hahahhahahaa

Gotta love the young instructors in Explorers...

thats what I was thinking - that poser wasn't for real. was he?

It's not the instructors cutting the lines, it the people in their lesson. Keep in mind they paid more than the average skier for the lesson and lift ticket and they don't have an unlimited time frame to work with. I wouldn't want to spend any lesson, program, or any type of time restricted activity in the lift line.

I took a lesson five years ago and the instructor told me not to worry about the time limit. He told me that if he couldn't teach me in the time limit, that it was his fault and not mine and that he owed it to me to stay with me, until I learned, and there would be no additional charge.

Exactly. The policy at just about every ski area is for instructors/students to cut the lines, especially when it's busy. But, when I taught, we were always told to let a half dozen chairs go by, so it didn't seem like we were just barging in front of everyone.

What I never agreed with was mountains that sold passes for people not in lessons to cut the lines. Sterling Forrest, which was sold last year, used to offer a special pass were you could use the ski school line. That just seemed creepy to me---like you can afford it, so flaunt it, or something. Dumb.

Race and freestyle teams also get to cut the lines at most ski areas. At CB, the rule was that race teamers could cut lines only when they started to get long. Otherwise, they were to use the regular corral. But it isn't like they are getting special treatment---race team kids are just like people in a lesson; a race team is a lesson. But it's best to lay low about it and def don't be posting on a MB about how someone deserves special privileges.

I took a lesson five years ago and the instructor told me not to worry about the time limit. He told me that if he couldn't teach me in the time limit, that it was his fault and not mine and that he owed it to me to stay with me, until I learned, and there would be no additional charge.

I bet that didn't happen on a Saturday afternoon at CB :D