Gaper Takedown

paolo

clear sign why people need to stay out of the park if they dont know what they are doing. you can have a spotter, like this person did, and you still cant control people turning into the landing like that unfortunate soul. the landing was pretty much clear until that person skied across. i hate to see shit like that, and it pisses me off every time.

At least they were going pretty much in the same direction which mitigated some of the impact---and probably lucky that a lot of park skiers have lousy edges. Unfortunately, the girl has pretty good grounds for a lawsuit against the ski area from that video. Melissa would better to describe the proportional responsibility. Great video, though---and great sound.

Unfortunately, the girl has pretty good grounds for a lawsuit against the ski area from that video. Melissa would better to describe the proportional responsibility. Great video, though---and great sound.

Proportional responsiblity between whom? The girl and the ski resort or the girl and the guy?

I don't know much about skiing and negligence. What I can tell you is that Pennsylvania has comparative negligence, and I think they are a modified comparative negligence state. What does this mean? You are driving in a car and another car hits you. You want to sue them, right? Yeah, duh, because they hit you. So you sue them. Well, after presenting the evidence, the jury decides that the damages were 100k, but also found that you were actually 35% responsible for the collision! AH! This means, you can only recover 65k. What if the trial happens, and you were more than 50% responsible for it? Then, under a modified comparative negligence state, you can recover nothing, since you were more at fault than the other person. Yeah, um, I don't know if anyone wanted to know that, but know ya do.

Although a beginner skiier should not be in a park disrupting the activities of park people, let's not forget that the ski resort has a duty to make its premises safe for its customers. With this, I would imagine (by imagine I mean that I have done no research on this) that they have a duty to notify its skiiers of potentially hazardous conditions--like jumps. Sometimes, terrain parks are set up on slopes that are marked green circle (like Mainline at Sno), and at the entrance of the run, there is no "terrain park black diamond" notice. Finally, the doctrine of assumed risk could be used as a defense to liability, although I do not know that a beginner skiier who was only skiing on beginner terrain (assuming that the terrain park was not marked as intermediate/expert) assumes the risk of being landed on.

I feel REALLY bad for that kid and I'm not being sarcastic.

But, the parents are the ones to blame for all these kids hanging out in dangerous places. :angry::devil:

To be honest, there's also a little "natural selection" going on here as well. ;)

On a positive note,

hopefully that kid will tell EVERYONE he knows about this and there will be a few less gapers in the park. :halo

Proportional responsiblity between whom? The girl and the ski resort or the girl and the guy?

I don't know much about skiing and negligence. What I can tell you is that Pennsylvania has comparative negligence, and I think they are a modified comparative negligence state. What does this mean? You are driving in a car and another car hits you. You want to sue them, right? Yeah, duh, because they hit you. So you sue them. Well, after presenting the evidence, the jury decides that the damages were 100k, but also found that you were actually 35% responsible for the collision! AH! This means, you can only recover 65k. What if the trial happens, and you were more than 50% responsible for it? Then, under a modified comparative negligence state, you can recover nothing, since you were more at fault than the other person. Yeah, um, I don't know if anyone wanted to know that, but know ya do.

Although a beginner skiier should not be in a park disrupting the activities of park people, let's not forget that the ski resort has a duty to make its premises safe for its customers. With this, I would imagine (by imagine I mean that I have done no research on this) that they have a duty to notify its skiiers of potentially hazardous conditions--like jumps. Sometimes, terrain parks are set up on slopes that are marked green circle (like Mainline at Sno), and at the entrance of the run, there is no "terrain park black diamond" notice. Finally, the doctrine of assumed risk could be used as a defense to liability, although I do not know that a beginner skiier who was only skiing on beginner terrain (assuming that the terrain park was not marked as intermediate/expert) assumes the risk of being landed on.

Girl v. ski area. The argument is likely that she was allowed to be in the park, was competent to ski down the run, and--most importantly--a case can be made that she was the downhill skier with the right away. Was there a spotter? Was the spotter asleep? What Canadian resort officials have been looking at is could the accident have been avoided and by what means. Letting a newbie into a park is like inviting a 3 year old to play in your swimming pool. The less ability to care for themselves, the greater the owner's responsibility to keep them safe. In the video, you just have to assume a newbie is going to turn five feet to her right and end up in the path of the jumper...just like you have to assume a little kid is going to fall into the deep end.

It's park passes, or we all are going to end up paying $125 for a lift ticket to cover the insurance premiums.

Girl v. ski area. The argument is likely that she was allowed to be in the park, was competent to ski down the run, and--most importantly--a case can be made that she was the downhill skier with the right away. Was there a spotter? Was the spotter asleep? What Canadian resort officials have been looking at is could the accident have been avoided and by what means. Letting a newbie into a park is like inviting a 3 year old to play in your swimming pool. The less ability to care for themselves, the greater the owner's responsibility to keep them safe. In the video, you just have to assume a newbie is going to turn five feet to her right and end up in the path of the jumper...just like you have to assume a little kid is going to fall into the deep end.

It's park passes, or we all are going to end up paying $125 for a lift ticket to cover the insurance premiums.

I think I like you :wub:

clear sign why people need to stay out of the park if they dont know what they are doing.

The problem is they don't read the signs. I spotted for hours sunday, doing my best to educate people, most people apologized or said thank you. Those that are in the park running across landings and stopping behind jumps have no idea. Please people don't scream at them, just nicely ask them to step aside and watch.

Please people don't scream at them, just nicely ask them to step aside and watch.

I agree you do get more with honey than vinegar.

But, many of those people say "thank you" to you face,

then "screw you" to your back, and come right back and do the same thing.

I especially love it when you take the time to quietly approach a parent and then they get ignorant with you, or worse, actually want to get tough. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I wish I had a paintball gun on the mountain. :devil::yes

I actually saw a parent bloody a 15 year old kid's nose because he told the 40 year old parent that his kid shouldn't be standing on the knuckle.

That "parent" spend some time in Vermont police custody, :D

but I was never contacted so I don't know the outcome.

Someone needs to come up with a solution and take action.

I'm all for a park pass and having a mountain employee verify passes in order to enter the park.

The mountains need to step up IMHO.

What do you guys think about "authorizing" some of us to clip lift tickets?

Us meaning park crew, season pass holders, park pass holders, anyone ????

Edited by TT C6

I agree you do get more with honey than vinegar.

But, many of those people say "thank you" to you face,

then "screw you" to your back, and come right back and do the same thing.

I especially love it when you take the time to quietly approach a parent and then they get ignorant with you, or worse, actually want to get tough. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I wish I had a paintball gun on the mountain. :devil::yes

I actally saw a parent bloody a 15 year old kids nose because he told the 40 year old his kid shouldn't be standing on the knuckle.

That "parent" spend some time in Vermont police custody, :D

but I'm not sure of the outcome.

Someone needs to come up with a solution and take action.

I'm all for a park pass and having a mountain employee verify passes in order to enter the park.

The resorts mountains need to step up IMHO.

What do you guys think about "authorizing" some of us to clip lift tickets?

Us meaning park crew, season pass holders, park pass holders, anyone ????

Will never happen.

Honestly I think that we will ALL argue until blue in the face about this.

Bottomline is that there WILL be gapers in the park, especially in PA. We just need to deal with them the best we can. Kids will get run over, people will get hurt. We all just need to try our hardest to avoid that happening. The fact of the matter is that we're dealing with small, overcrowded, short, jam packed runs. Throw park features on one of them and there will be major skier traffic through it, 'nuff said. Management will not give in to park passes, at least for a while.

So what can we do now?

Have a spotter for jumps when it's super crowded.

Get there earlier to beat crowds.

And, the most important one of all:

If it's super crowded, and super shitty, just call it quits. Chances are with our crappy climate jumps aren't worth hitting past 2pm. Session rails, mess around, or just call it a day. If I'm skiing from 7:30AM I'm usually dead around that time anyway.

I think I like you :wub:

I'm way too old for you. But thanks.

The two of you getting along could do wonders for this site... Lets keep up the +++ vibes kids!

Oh, and my .02 is that I hope the girl learned her lesson. Not really though. I would never wish something like that upon someone, but maybe one idea would be to have this video and the little girl bonk video on constant loop at entrances to parks so that people have an in your face visual of whats about to happen to their ass if they don't pay attention.

Edited by T*Maki

when we were eating lunch at Boulder recently, I was sitting near a father and his I would say 8 year old boy. The entire time we were there over the course of 20 minutes all I heard was the replay of some other snowboarder taking out his kid. He said numerous times "this is why I hate snowboarders." I don't know if the incident happened in the park or not. It seemed like the kid just wanted to forget about it and move on, but the father kept rehashing it. "Did the boy hit you from behind or the side?" "Did he even stop to apologize?" "Did he realize you were hurt, did he stop to help you?' The father suggested the other kid or his parents pay for new equipment because the boy's was damaged. Judging by the way they were both dressed, I'd say they don't ski very often.

I was close to turning around and making some comments, but in the end knew this was a guy who was always right. The father didn't see the incident the kid just told him about it. I am sure the father didn't consider that it was his own kid's fault and left out some details.

I say make the parents and kids watch the video, for entire mountain etiquette, not just the park.

I think as cheesy as it sounds most resorts could do well with a diagram picture of jumps and rails showing how to stay away from the front and back of features. Maybe big blaze orange signs on the side of the trail next to landing that say DON"T STAND HERE.

Skiing jumps for years and riding skate parks has made park etiquette pretty much second nature for me, so I just can't understand it when people do stuff like this. I realize however that not everyone knows how this stuff works. The worst gaper show I've seen this year was at bear creek, I actually saw a little kid not take enough speed into a jump and he fell right on the lip. This kid then tried to side step up the lip for several minutes before actually TAKING OFF HIS SKIS AND WALKING UP THE LIP :huh:

I guess park passes is really the only way to assure that people will read or hear the necessary info and warnings about parks.

As far as all the talk of lawsuits above, ugh, I think I'm gonna be sick. Can't people get hurt anymore and not demand compensation for what was their fault in the first place, why is it always someone else's fault. OK I let my kid do the terrain park without explaining risks, my bad I'll pay her doctor bills, is that impossible these days. Just to hard to turn away easy money I guess.

As far as all the talk of lawsuits above, ugh, I think I'm gonna be sick. Can't people get hurt anymore and not demand compensation for what was their fault in the first place, why is it always someone else's fault. OK I let my kid do the terrain park without explaining risks, my bad I'll pay her doctor bills, is that impossible these days. Just to hard to turn away easy money I guess.

people are greedy, money happy, suing fiends that are right about everything and could never do something wrong in the ifrst place. common sense doesnt have a role in justice.