Ranger Interview

Glenn

So last night, I got stopped by a ranger because someone fell in the halfpipe and got hurt and he needed conditions reports from at least 6 boarders. I didn't think much of it when he stopped me but the whole thing took about 10 min. which got me pretty pissed. Anyone know if these are optional, aka will I get clipped if I refuse to give them a report. I really don't mind helping out when I have the time, there were people waiting for me though, and I really didn't have a lot of time at the mountain, so I wanted to make the most out of what time was available. In 10 min I could make 2 runs. Anyways insight into this would be helpful... for next time.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to say it man but the only reason you probably got stopped and asked to help out was because you appreared to be a good boarder. They don't interview newbies.Want to avoid the stop, ride like you don't know what you're doing. Accept the compliment.

Hate to say it man but the only reason you  probably got stopped and asked to help out was because you appreared to be a good boarder. They don't interview newbies.Want to avoid the stop, ride like you don't know what you're doing. Accept the compliment.

:lol

I am HORRIBLE at pipe. I'd like to think I'm decent elsewhere, but that was maybe my 10th time in the pipe ever. I was really sketchy and even fell when I aired out and spun, which is when he called me over. I really thought I was in trouble for almost hitting this guy in the pipe who fell, but I was already on the wall when he went down. Anyways, I guess I wasn't the guy who fell, so maybe I'm not the worst guy in the pipe.

i don't think they can clip you for not saying anything but if you do say no i would never wear the outfit you had on that night to CB again...they will hunt you down

I don't wear outfits. I wear clothing, and it's pretty generic. The only unique things are my board, my beard and my helmet (with the PASR stickers) and none of those are changing in the near future.

You do NOT have to give them any help or information, UNLESS you were involved in the accident. There's no legal obligation for you to help them stave off a lawsuit or become witness to something that wasn't a criminal act. You paid to enjoy your time at the mountain, not be embroiled in the possible negligence of Camelback.

"Besa mi culo," is a simple phrase appropriate for most Ranger interview requests.

You do NOT have to give them any help or information, UNLESS you were involved in the accident. There's no legal obligation for you to help them stave off a lawsuit or become witness to something that wasn't a criminal act. You paid to enjoy your time at the mountain, not be embroiled in the possible negligence of Camelback.

"Besa mi culo," is a simple phrase appropriate for most Ranger interview requests.

Well sure there is no legal obligation, but if I'm not complying with rangers, they may feel it is neccessary to clip my ticket. Just not sure. No doubt they would be more than happy to clip it since I'm a season pass holder and they already have my money. Oh well, it was the first, and hopefully last time I get stopped for a conditions report "interview."

Sit back and think about why they are asking you to volunteer that information in the first place:

THEY ARE TRYING TO AVOID A POTENTIAL LAWSUIT

[/size]

They have people who fall and get hurt all the time. I'm sure a fair amount of them try to blame their injuries on poor conditions. What Camelback apparently needs are 6 random witnesses who have no affiliation with Camelback. If there ever is a major lawsuit, by giving your statement to the ranger, there is the possibility that you may be subpoena'd in the future if the case ever goes to trial. At the least, maybe a deposition. I would have told the Ranger to go fuck himself.

I have been involved in many lawsuits and have been subpoena'd many times to be witness for the Police (I'm a paramedic) and trust me, being subpoena'd is not fun.

I've given interviews many times at CB and never felt it to be an imposition. If some jerk kills himself at CB because he was on something he shouldn't have been on and CB loses some suit, the ticket prices go up. The only time I was unhappy was when I told them it was "icy" and they changed it to "frozen granular".

Haha, so really all they want is your name, and then they will edit all your statements to umm make sure they are 'accurate'.

I wonder what would happpen if you had to go to court and told the judge that you said it was icy and not frozen granular...Could look real bad for CB...

Ticket prices at CB go up at the maximum rate that demand allows. They would just love everyone to believe that staving off a lawsuit by becoming a witness helps keep ticket prices "lower". But in reality, it just keeps profits higher and ensures the Board's annual $100k.

If Rangers weren't dicks, then I'd be happy to make their little volunteer day better. Skiing there the other day, we hit the line a couple of times with the same Ranger who took it upon himself to direct the Sullivan chair line. I'm chatting away with my kid, moving forward exactly the way I've been doing it forever, and he barks at us about something I really didn't want to try and understand. Then he rides up with us and complains about the "idiot" lift attendants and stupid people in line.

My kid asked if she could lift the bar and give him a shove.

Yea they took my name and address and phone number down when i was filming my buddies jump off this ledge between trails. he said since i watched them do it i was at fault as well because i wasn't doing my duty as a "spotter" and letting them know they were going off trail. they almost got my real name, lol. This was one of my pre-season pass years of course.

I don't mind giving a statement, going to court or whatever. I honestly don't want to see any uneccessary, but successful lawsuits against ANY mountain. It's just there are some times when, I really don't want to deal with that. Last night was one of those times. 9 times out of 10 I would be more than happy to deal with that stuff. Just want to know about the other 1 out of 10 times. Again, its not a matter of whether or not, I'm legally bound to give a report, but whether or not the rangers are authorized to clip me if I don't.

Again, its not a matter of whether or not, I'm legally bound to give a report, but whether or not the rangers are authorized to clip me if I don't.

They can only "clip" your ticket if you are involved in an unsafe act. If you feel you're getting hassled for no good reason, go talk to their boss. Just don't go in with an attitude.

PAX

11 days to go!!

but whether or not the rangers are authorized to clip me if I don't.

I'm 100% certain you are not required to give any statements regarding snow conditions, unless it involves an accident you witnessed. Even in that case, you don't have to speak with either Rangers or police, as this being America you may speak through an attorney.

It would open Camelback to civil litigation the moment they required someone-- by threat of loss of services (ie ticket clipping)-- to give a statement that could lead them into becoming a witness to a lawsuit.

Seriously, Rangers are asking for "expert witness" information, for which I would NEVER do for free. If they threaten to clip your ticket, then I'd see it as an act of coercion, which makes any testimony useless from you. CB can't put you under duress or undue influence in order to have your information valid in court.

If a Ranger ever tells you he'll clip your ticket if you don't comply with a request for information, I'd suggest you get as many of your buds to hear him say it and tell him you'd like to see that threat in writing. Chances are pretty good that if you felt "shaken and in fear" and couldn't go to school for a week or two, that you'd get the price of a car out of it and he'd be back at the mall with his nightstick.

I'm 100% certain you are not required to give any statements regarding snow conditions, unless it involves an accident you witnessed. Even in that case, you don't have to speak with either Rangers or police, as this being America you may speak through an attorney.

It would open Camelback to civil litigation the moment they required someone-- by threat of loss of services (ie ticket clipping)-- to give a statement that could lead them into becoming a witness to a lawsuit.

Seriously, Rangers are asking for "expert witness" information, for which I would NEVER do for free. If they threaten to clip your ticket, then I'd see it as an act of coercion, which makes any testimony useless from you. CB can't put you under duress or undue influence in order to have your information valid in court.

If a Ranger ever tells you he'll clip your ticket if you don't comply with a request for information, I'd suggest you get as many of your buds to hear him say it and tell him you'd like to see that threat in writing. Chances are pretty good that if you felt "shaken and in fear" and couldn't go to school for a week or two, that you'd get the price of a car out of it and he'd be back at the mall with his nightstick.

:lol

I like that back to the mall bit. Thanks for the legal info.