Ranger Interview

Glenn

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from a neighbor, my only interaction with cops has been about bad news....my dogs barked too much for some old lady, several instances where people trashed my car in a parking lot, and two speeding stops.  They never did anything good for me.  But, I accept that they have a purpose.

I've never had an issue with a CB ranger, but I am not stupid.  When I was flying down Nile Mile and saw a yellow jacket, I made sure that my turns were BEAUTIFUL and in control even if I didn't slow down a whit.

Is this a wild side of Sibhusky? Speeding? Harassing old ladies? Whew, this is just too much to handle! :lol:

Yeah this guy I was on the lift with at blue was a ski patroller at cb for 17 years and he said he liked blue better for the runs, snow, and no litter and the rudeness of New Yorkers who came to the mountain (no offense to anyone from NY here)

My problem with CB is mainly the feeling you get when you are there. I always feel like i am giving my money to a corporation of shareholders that don't really care about the skiing/riding experience. The slides don't bother me, except when i get the feeling that things are being altered on the mtn to allow for more summer attractions (ie: earlier closing, elimination of portions of trails, etc). As for prices, i really dont mind spending my money. You can ask anyone i know and they will tell you i spend money like it is going out of style. However, i dont appreciate eating cold fries being served by people who are leaning against the wall and rolling their eyes at me. As for ticket prices, again not a big deal to me. However, if i am going to pay money to ride lifts, i want a pleasant experience, and the way they run lifts at CB is just pathetic. And no this dosent just happen on busy days, i have been there on almost empty days and they still cant get the lift situation right.

Now with that being said, i go to places like killington, sunday river, attatach, etc. These are all resorts being run by a large corporation, and over charging on everything! Now why is it that when i walk up to the ticket window at a place like this they have people greating you and asking if you need help with anything? Why is it that their lift lines are seperated into lines (which are appropriately wide enough) for groups of 4, 3, 2 and singles?

So i guess what i am trying to say is that CB is indeed a business that focuses mainly on profit, as well are the reorts run by the american ski company. So why is it that one company can care about the customer and one can not? Sure the american ski company is a much larger company, but that means more overhead. So with a smaller overhead why can't CB provide that same experience? Sure i may be harsh or what have you, but it is my opinion. So i plan on spending my money else where from now on (well unless CB can gurantee that hot liftie will be shoveling snow in hardly anything everytime i get off the lift, lol).

I would agree with you but... I can't say I've been treated any differently at any place I have gone in the poconos. As for sibs comment it was the same at Hunter. Not sure what the difference is between the large corporation and the small one. It may be nothing at all, it may have more to do with the general attitude of the people in the area.

Yeah this guy I was on the lift with at blue was a ski patroller at cb for 17 years and he said he liked blue better for the runs, snow, and no litter and the rudeness of New Yorkers who came to the mountain (no offense to anyone from NY here)

Oh come on, the litter is fun, what else do you have to jump over? Plus as skidude can attest to, I picked up some stylish gear that was dropped from the lift and just laying out for at least 6 runs at the bottom of marjies. B)

You guys all have great points. CB has issues with some things, but , believe it or not, they are very interested in hearing about them. This needs to be done right however. You cant just slam them and expect results. The main difference between the mountains is, CB is a year round, very profitable area, the others, are not. They all have financial issues excpt for CB.

As far as the closing early thing, I have been there for almost 20 years and even before the waterpark, closing aroun St Patty's and Easter has been the norm. There is a huge decrease in lift ticket sales once March roles around and obviously, it does not make sense to lose money.

Actually, it is both, deal with it. They are real close to doing the same numbers during both seasons. All businesses are in it for the money. That is why they are in business. Don't be fooled into thinking otherwise. Those that deny that, aren't making enough money to be prophitable.

Oh come on, the litter is fun, what else do you have to jump over? Plus as skidude can attest to, I picked up some stylish gear that was dropped from the lift and just laying out for at least 6 runs at the bottom of marjies.  B)

Haha that scarf (sp?) was pretty nice :thumb:gaygiggle:

Anyway...I have yet to see a pocono resort with out crap under all the lifts...As far as trails go, again they are all mostly cleared of crap (one of the ski partols job I think).

You guys all have great points. CB has issues with some things, but , believe it or not, they are very interested in hearing about them. This needs to be done right however. You cant just slam them and expect results. The main difference between the mountains is, CB is a year round, very profitable area, the others, are not. They all have financial issues excpt for CB.

As far as the closing early thing, I have been there for almost 20 years and even before the waterpark, closing aroun St Patty's and Easter has been the norm. There is a huge decrease in lift ticket sales once March roles around and obviously, it does not make sense to lose money.

That is just the thing. The propper means have been taken and ignored. E-mails have been sent, and i am fairly sure letters have been written to no avail. Then we took it to the CB message board and only had topics deleted without answer.

The closing early isn't really a concern to me, because i will just go elsewhere when they close. It is the issues they have that come about when they are open that bother me.

No it dosen't make sense to lose money, i agree. However, how does irritateing long time customers help you gain money?

This is also a never ending battle that many of us have been involved with for some time, and i fully expect little to nothing will change. However, i felt it needed to express my views. So this is where i end my involvement in this topic.

Actually, it is both, deal with it. They are real close to doing the same numbers during both seasons. All businesses are in it for the money. That is why they are in business. Don't be fooled into thinking otherwise. Those that deny that, aren't making enough money to be prophitable.

There are still right and wrong ways to go about making a profit. The CB board members seem to aspire to become the McDonalds of Pocono skiing. Elk, for example, takes a vastly different approach to making a profit. If you prefer CB's plastic coated playland atmosphere, then all the power to you. I endured CB for the quality of race coaches. But closing weeks early to demolish the CAT/Patrol building and start the wave pool was just one of the sleaziest things on record. For them to lie about it, saying they didn't have a closing date leading up pissed me off. The contracts with the construction company included a starting date and were signed a year earlier.

I dealt with it. I took my business somewhere else.

Ski999, if you like Jack, congratulate him...he just had a bouncing baby boy - 20 1/2 inches, 7 lb 3 oz. Quite a change in demeanor -> telling tales of going to bed by 9PM, the labor and delivery blow by blow...who would have thought it possible...

My only comment on the CB situation is that I don't believe CB management is interested in hearing our thoughts on this. I've found they ignore input and opinions until an issue develops that impacts their bottom line. If sales drop, that's different.

Hey, dthmtluncrn, I saw that scarf; red, right? Maybe you wrapped it around your arm. And, no Atomic, I wasn't stalking... just admiring their headlight. Mine bounces when I trot, canter or gallop, so I was wondering where they got theirs and how they keep it from bouncing at speed.

Finally, if Sib's only been stopped twice for speeding, she's a good girl. :halo By the time you are our age, it's almost impossible to have NEVER been stopped if you do a reasonable amount of driving.

Edited by skimom

Ski999, if you like Jack, congratulate him...he just had a bouncing baby boy - 20 1/2 inches, 7 lb 3 oz.  Quite a change in demeanor -> telling tales of going to bed by 9PM, the labor and delivery blow by blow...who would have thought it possible...

My only comment on the CB situation is that I don't believe CB management is interested in hearing our thoughts on this.  I've found they ignore input and opinions until an issue develops that impacts their bottom line.  If sales drop, that's different.

Hey, dthmtluncrn, I saw that scarf; red, right?  Maybe you wrapped it around your arm.  And, no Atomic, I wasn't stalking... just admiring their headlight.  Mine bounces when I trot, canter or gallop, so I was wondering where they got theirs and how they keep it from bouncing at speed. 

Finally, if Sib's only been stopped twice for speeding, she's a good girl.  :halo  By the time you are our age, it's almost impossible to have NEVER been stopped if you do a reasonable amount of driving.

Yeppers that was me with it tied around my arm. It was a little to snowy and small to wear it normally. I wanted to tuck it in a pocket and be cool B) like the guys with the hankerchiefs, but it was a little too long, and I thought it may be hazardeous oif it got caught on the edge of my board. :o

I am sorry that attempts to voice your opinions have aparrently been ignored. I do get to hear some of them being discussed by management. Unfortunately, change is the hardest thing to do, when what you are doing is still successful. There is alot of truth to the saying..."the squeaky wheel gets the grease."

I am sorry that attempts to voice your opinions have aparrently been ignored. I do get to hear some of them being discussed by management. Unfortunately, change is the hardest thing to do, when what you are doing is still successful. There is alot of truth to the saying..."the squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Squeaky wheels got us all banned, Ski911. :D