Ranger Interview

Glenn

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I really don't want to argue with you, Ski911. I was a paying customer for a very long time and I was right and the Rangers I encountered were wrong.

The Blue patrol that pulled Atomic, Think, and me over last season was right to do so. We were skiing fast in a slow zone. Plus, the guy was NICE. He should be sought out and hired to teach CB Rangers how to deal with patrons.

A CB Ranger that follows me to the lift on a Monday night and gives me crap for skiing Cliffhanger at a "speed beyond your skill level" is a f*cking moron.

you're right. The patroller did the right thing by pulling us over, we were going REALLY fast, well, you were at least. But he simply said "i just wanted to let you know you were going to fast, and it's too cold out here to get my pencil out", because, at the time, it was still probably -3 or so. That same day, when i mowed my friends sister over, the ski patrol guy said well i didn't see the crash so i can't do anything.

but ski999, i think even at WC downhill speeds, thats still within your ability.

"if you treat them respectfully (like you would a cop) " They are not cops (if they are, they are off-duty) and therefore are not worthy of such respect. Ski911- your love of Rangers leads me to believe you're a Ranger yourself, or at least a ski patroller.

If they accuse you of something (for instance- skiing too fast), do they have the right to pull your lift ticket? Maybe. But If you do not surrender it willfully, and they physically try to rermove it from your person, this qualifies as assault in my book. These assholes are not the police and have no right to take your ticket, or subdue you by force. I'd love to have one of those assholes try to lay a finger on me. I'd plead self-defense for my actions that will result.

I was starting to wonder where Emtp was on this topic. As I recall, Ski911 is a patroller---a good guy. He has his opinions and experiences and we have our's. And they are nothing alike.

But, yeah, they do have the right to take your ticket, as far as CB is concerned. Look at Think's avatar. He was one step away from losing his ticket, from the look of that red circle.

The only reason Rangers immediately pull down the safety bar when riding the lift is for fear of who is sitting next to them. I think they sense what people like me are thinking.

I was starting to wonder where Emtp was on this topic. As I recall, Ski911 is a patroller---a good guy. He has his opinions and experiences and we have our's. And they are nothing alike.

But, yeah, they do have the right to take your ticket, as far as CB is concerned. Look at Think's avatar. He was one step away from losing his ticket, from the look of that red circle.

The only reason Rangers immediately pull down the safety bar when riding the lift is for fear of who is sitting next to them. I think they sense what people like me are thinking.

Yes, I agree, they do reserve the right to revoke your lift ticket. That is one of the terms you agree to when you purchase it. But what if you don't want to let one of the slimeball rangers touch you to get it? Are they going to tackle you and rip it off your coat?

I respect all Ski Patrollers, that's a given- especially with me being a medical professional myself. The underlying premise of the formation of the Ranger Patrol was to provide support to the Ski Patrol, such as directing skier traffic around an accident scene.

Here is a cut and paste from CB's website:

"The Ranger Program was implemented for the 1984/85 season by Camelback management as a tool to enhance responsible skiing and snowboarding on the mountain, and has operated continuously every ski season since, 7 days and nights per week during the season. The underlying premise was to provide support to the Ski Patrol, while enforcing the Responsibility Code. "Separating the two responsibilities made perfect sense 19 years ago, just as it does today," commented Fred Klee, Director of the Ranger Program at Camelback.

"The goal of the Ranger Program at Camelback is to encourage responsible skiing in accordance with the Skiers Responsibility Code," commented Klee, adding, "the term 'safe skiing' is an oxymoron because skiing really is a risk sport."

Today, Camelback's 67 Rangers continue to enforce responsible skiing and snowboarding. Violators are required to watch a safety video and will lose lift privileges for a repeat offense. In addition, Rangers greet bus and school groups giving a brief safety presentation and reviewing the rules of the slopes before the group takes to the mountain. In addition, Rangers assist the ski patrol with traffic control at accident scenes and are responsible for accident investigations.

Ranger training is a continuous process at Camelback. In addition to rigorous on-the-job training, prospective Rangers must complete 3 days of training and an on-snow test to determine skiing or snowboarding proficiency. Each season, Rangers are required to attend refresher courses prior to the season start. Over the years, many Rangers have come from backgrounds in law enforcement and education, two professions ideally-suited for the Ranger Program."

The idea itself is an excellent one. If the Rangers didn't cut in line for no reason (this includes the lift line AND cafeteria line), harass customers for no apparent reason, and just act like power-tripping assholes- then a yellow-jacketed ranger would be a welcome sight. What the Rangers seem to be forgetting is that they are employees of a BUISINESS, and we are paying CUSTOMERS.

Edited by emtp563

I have never seen a ranger touch anyone....If they say give me your pass and you refuse they won't touch you...Simplely they will radio to security and well...Those guys have no problems throwing you out of Camelback.

So its either get a warning or watch a video from the ranger, or get physically removed by 4 300lb security guys...Uhh you choose

I can not believe that they are that harsh at camelback, I have never been stopped at Blue for anything. Last night at Blue a lot of people were ducking off the runs into the trees, which I also did and some spots were quite fun. I didn't see anybody getting stopped for it at all. I also fly down most of the runs there and they don't seem to mind. Why do you support Camelback and give them your money? I know for alot of you it is convienence and it is your home mt. but I will never give them my money. :rock

Edited by Allian Boarder

I can not believe that they are that harsh at camelback,  I have never been stopped at Blue for anything.  Last night at Blue a lot of people were ducking off the runs into the trees, which I also did and some spots were quite fun.  I didn't see anybody getting stopped for it at all.  I also fly down most of the runs there and they don't seem to mind.  Why do you support Camelback and give them your money?  I know for alot of you it is convienence and it is your home mt. but I  will never give them my money.  :rock

you don't get stopped because CB has a dedicated group to enforce the rules. Blue only has one, and it's the way it should be. I rarely see patrolers at blue, besides when they are assisting people. The only trails they ski are Paradise and Burma, which are slow skiing trails.

I guess this is just a major problem at cb. I have never been stopped by a ranger, at montage or anywhere and I pretty much do whatever I feel like, when I feel like it. If I pay $30 to play on their mountain, I'm going to damn well enjoy it. This is just a high risk, high reward sport.

Edited by Schifdawg

I can not believe that they are that harsh at camelback,  I have never been stopped at Blue for anything.  Last night at Blue a lot of people were ducking off the runs into the trees, which I also did and some spots were quite fun.  I didn't see anybody getting stopped for it at all.  I also fly down most of the runs there and they don't seem to mind.  Why do you support Camelback and give them your money?  I know for alot of you it is convienence and it is your home mt. but I  will never give them my money.  :rock

I think this board (me included) are a little harsh on CB. They really aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. I would agree Blue is better, but I wouldn't say don't go to camelback at all. They have some decent trails, depending on the day they have better conditions that blue (though blue has mid day grooming). There are more trails at CB, (By this I mean more actual trails not just the number of trails, but the possibilities. Blue feels like it has about half as many trails as CB. I know the numbers are close, but its more about how trails are named and the possible combinations used to get down the mountain. CB food is overpriced, but what resort doesn't have over priced food. I can't say it was even that bad, though lots of people disagree. As far as ticket prices, for a student, it was only a few dollars difference between CB and Blue. I could go on, and on, about how CB isn't as bad as this board makes them out. The mountain has a bad image because of the history of this board, and the mountain. That being said, their are good rangers, there are bad rangers. The bad ones make all rangers look bad, and quite frankly I don't want to find out the hard way, the ranger I decide to fly past (in full on an appropriate trail) is the bad ranger. I just slow down, smile, and wave. The bottom line is, it's a problem, but if I had a choice between spending the day riding at CB or taking the day off, there is no way I'm taking a day off because of rangers, managment, food, ticket prices, vert etc. But thats just me. The difference between CB and other areas is a lot more marginal than this board makes it out to be.

I guess this is just a major problem at cb. I have never been stopped by a ranger, at montage or anywhere and I pretty much do whatever I feel like, when I feel like it.  If I pay $30 to play on their mountain, I'm going to damn well enjoy it. This is just a high risk, high reward sport.

I wouldn't call it a major problem. How many times has anyone person been involved with police officers, but they get a bad rap as well. The only difference is police keep you safe, so you are more willing to give them respect. The rangers are just given free skiing privalages to look for people whos ticket they can clip.

It's just people expressing their personal experiences. And it takes one bad experience to wipe out 20 good one's for most people. That's the image battle that ski areas all deal with.

It isn't just Rangers; we skied down Sunbowl past these huge plastic toilet bowl summer rides. I hate that; some people don't care. And where were the shuttles on a busy Monday in which they had to open parking lots way down beyond the lower lots? CB can rake in the extra revenue from school closings, but can't be bothered to run a single shuttle?

Yesterday, I shared nachos with cheese and a coke with my kid at Montage. With season pass discount, it was $4.25. I just don't feel like I'm getting ripped off for everything at Montage, like I always did at CB. In fact, I bought a big pig hat that oinks for $14. That seemed like a decent deal, too.

Yeah at blue they only really enforce skiing fast on paradise and burma road which should be enforced because they are slowing skiing trails.

CB-all I can say is they make there own problems. Its just like ski said, one bad expierence can wipe out all the good ones. Personally I don't want to go to a place that is going to stop me for speeding and what not and I would deffinetly not go spend my money at a place that closes early to prepare for new waterslides and don't go giving me crap saying how nobody is showing up because the next day they are melting snow bringing in slide parts.

You are right...the snotty attitude of a 15 year old punk, will usually piss a ranger off enough to make him/her treat you like a snotty 15 year old punk. Here is a little life lesson for you, respect gets respect. Show a little, get a little.

You are very wise ski911.

My problem with CB is mainly the feeling you get when you are there. I always feel like i am giving my money to a corporation of shareholders that don't really care about the skiing/riding experience. The slides don't bother me, except when i get the feeling that things are being altered on the mtn to allow for more summer attractions (ie: earlier closing, elimination of portions of trails, etc). As for prices, i really dont mind spending my money. You can ask anyone i know and they will tell you i spend money like it is going out of style. However, i dont appreciate eating cold fries being served by people who are leaning against the wall and rolling their eyes at me. As for ticket prices, again not a big deal to me. However, if i am going to pay money to ride lifts, i want a pleasant experience, and the way they run lifts at CB is just pathetic. And no this dosent just happen on busy days, i have been there on almost empty days and they still cant get the lift situation right.

Now with that being said, i go to places like killington, sunday river, attatach, etc. These are all resorts being run by a large corporation, and over charging on everything! Now why is it that when i walk up to the ticket window at a place like this they have people greating you and asking if you need help with anything? Why is it that their lift lines are seperated into lines (which are appropriately wide enough) for groups of 4, 3, 2 and singles?

So i guess what i am trying to say is that CB is indeed a business that focuses mainly on profit, as well are the reorts run by the american ski company. So why is it that one company can care about the customer and one can not? Sure the american ski company is a much larger company, but that means more overhead. So with a smaller overhead why can't CB provide that same experience? Sure i may be harsh or what have you, but it is my opinion. So i plan on spending my money else where from now on (well unless CB can gurantee that hot liftie will be shoveling snow in hardly anything everytime i get off the lift, lol).

I wouldn't call it a major problem. How many times has anyone person been involved with police officers, but they get a bad rap as well. The only difference is police keep you safe, so you are more willing to give them respect. The rangers are just given free skiing privalages to look for people whos ticket they can clip.

Aside from a neighbor, my only interaction with cops has been about bad news....my dogs barked too much for some old lady, several instances where people trashed my car in a parking lot, and two speeding stops. They never did anything good for me. But, I accept that they have a purpose.

I've never had an issue with a CB ranger, but I am not stupid. When I was flying down Nile Mile and saw a yellow jacket, I made sure that my turns were BEAUTIFUL and in control even if I didn't slow down a whit.