2009 apparel "Trendy or lame"

Santa Clauss

Crappy pattern printed jackets piss you off? Sounds like you need to get out some more. :lol

crappy pattern printed jackets piss me off too. trends in general piss me off because they're usually embarrassing and heinous.

mostly i'm just mad cause i've been rocking the same coat for about 6 years now, because i have yet to find anything i want to spend my money on... i keep thinking, next year, but then the stuff that comes out is uglier than the year before.

damn it, i just want to do what i do and look good doing it.

I'm only on year 4 for my jacket, and hey dan, yea, burton coming out with a $450 one piece camo jump suit kinda makes me say wtf? i'm sayin same as what ket said, i'm frustrated lookin for a jacket that I personally like and not finding anything, i'm not just out to get a new coat because I want to look cool, my coats ripped, faded, and the zippers broke... Not looking to make a fashion statement, just seeing a bunch of crappy jackets and cant find one i like.

I'm only on year 4 for my jacket, and hey dan, yea, burton coming out with a $450 one piece camo jump suit kinda makes me say wtf? i'm sayin same as what ket said, i'm frustrated lookin for a jacket that I personally like and not finding anything, i'm not just out to get a new coat because I want to look cool, my coats ripped, faded, and the zippers broke... Not looking to make a fashion statement, just seeing a bunch of crappy jackets and cant find one i like.

Your clearly not looking hard enough. I went through the phase of not being able to find a coat, but then i realized i just had to look at other "Less Known" brands and i found exactly what i wanted. The solid colors are still out there, they just don't get advertised because they are not eye catching like the odd patterned coats.

What are you looking for? I can probably find something.

But i don't get mad at companies for making different things. If thats what they want to make so be it. No reason to be like why do they make such dumb shit. I've disliked half the companies out there for a long time because of the weird prints they put on coats, but they are still in business several years later so i guess people continue to buy there stuff.

like i said, open up a product catalog for almost any major brand and you will find a little of everything. burton is still making solid colors, plaids, and all sort of other stuff. i'm sure Foursquare, special blend, and a number of the other big names are as well. if it is all too expensive look on backcountry outlet, or any of the other online retailers. the stuff is out there man. you can't expect TWS to cover the same shit they did a year or two years ago. of course they are going to highlight the new trendy shit, if they don't they won't be considered new and trendy. and you know what happens then? yea they go out of business. simple as that.

Alright I went far enough with trying to make a simple point... nick, sorry but I don't have any product catalogues from major brands, I usually try to find good deals on ebay, the house, milosports, tightboards, ect, I remember looking for a good deal on that foursquare coat but couldn't afford to pay $250-$300 on a coat, I will never buy anything burton... Maybe a helmet, (I know someone who got a proform card, the board was pealing top coat paint within a month, and the boots were ripped and it was suposta be a $700+ board.) , and nick, do you really think shredders really buy TWS for the latest fashion trends on the slope? I don't, maybe i'm wrong but i'll assume most people don't. I'm not saying that they shouldn't show those products because its the companies who are representing themselves, not the mag. As for the boots, bindings, boards and even gloves in the product guide, i really like them, I plan on buying the ride contrabands dfc, but come on man, does anybody else say wtf when they see a camo one piece? anyone?

I shouldn't have said that I haven't found anything, just nothing i could afford... As for what i'm looking for, i'll know it when I see it.

Alright I went far enough with trying to make a simple point... nick, sorry but I don't have any product catalogues from major brands, I usually try to find good deals on ebay, the house, milosports, tightboards, ect, I remember looking for a good deal on that foursquare coat but couldn't afford to pay $250-$300 on a coat, I will never buy anything burton... Maybe a helmet, (I know someone who got a proform card, the board was pealing top coat paint within a month, and the boots were ripped and it was suposta be a $700+ board.) , and nick, do you really think shredders really buy TWS for the latest fashion trends on the slope? I don't, maybe i'm wrong but i'll assume most people don't. I'm not saying that they shouldn't show those products because its the companies who are representing themselves, not the mag. As for the boots, bindings, boards and even gloves in the product guide, i really like them, I plan on buying the ride contrabands dfc, but come on man, does anybody else say wtf when they see a camo one piece? anyone?

I shouldn't have said that I haven't found anything, just nothing i could afford... As for what i'm looking for, i'll know it when I see it.

1) you can find everything in a product catalogs on each companies website, but that isn't the issue here because you don't seem willing to pay for a new product anyway (and i don't blame you, i won't either). so why are you arguing with me about that?

2) do i think the world's "shredders" buy TWS to get the latest onslope fashions... well yea actually i do. people buy gear guides to get the latest tech, fashions, advancements, etc. i sort of thought that was the point of gear guides. to highlight the latest stuff... someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

3) all this being said, yea a 1 piece camo is hideous in my opinion, but i don't get all upset when i see it and bitch and moan about not being able to get a jacket. i don't like the new styles either but about 2 months ago i found a Special Blend pant and jacket combo for 130 bucks (which retailed for almost 600). my point wasn't to attack you, but to let you know stuff is out there. try google, it is this great new internet fad.

Nick nailed it but I'm taking a shot too.

1) Your right that the current trends are ugly as hell

2) The reason people are buying them are becuase of TWS gear guides and regular issues, pros wearing this crap, and good riders on the hill wearing it. Girls generally pick their asthetics independent of the current trend and go with what they like (and match). Guys either follow the trends, don't care, or aggressively buck the trend. I fall in the latter.

3) Every company still makes the plain colors

4) The choice of what colors to get are up to the shop owners. At my shop we'd get a handful of out there stuff (say 20%) and the other 80% was a lot more normal. And what did we have left over at the end of the year? Never any of the plain stuff was left, but we had a lot of camo at 50% off. As much as you see on the hill, it is a small fraction of the total.

5) You are more likely to see these patterns on crappy resellers like the House than in an actual store. Most manufactures don't sell direct to online sites.. IA regular retail store has a choice of 20 brands and can only carry a few, Why pick one where I have to compete with websites undercutting price because they don't have to pay for retail space or staff. So what you see online are overstock (like my old store http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...hcountrysports) being sold direct by retail stores, guys selling stuff off their pro form (which if caught their store could get a lot of shit for) and bulk overstock resellers. So many times people come into the store, waste our time trying on boots then go and try to buy them online to "save" and end up paying more, or can't find it.

Since your basically looking at left overs you are going to find the stuff people didn't like and thats why its ugly as hell. If you are buying through the normal channels you have your options, but you get screwed on price. (Trust me, I don't buy anything at full price either, it is too much). I've done 6 year end blow outs and the common thread is that the gear left is either too ugly, too expensive, or an odd size. I generally take the too expensive stuff, I'd rather have the high end board with last years graphics than a medium board with this years graphics. I generally do that for pants too, but jackets I really shopped for a good one no matter what the price. A jacket is the most durable piece of equipment you own. Pants get ripped/stain, boots pack out, boards & bindings break, helmets get dented, goggles get scratched, gloves rip, but there is not much that happens to your jacket. Divided over 5 years, a $300 jacket is worth it.

As for your friend's board sucking off a pro-form, that is not uncommon at all. A lot of pro-form stuff failed QA and is considered "2nd quality". Not all of it, but a lot of times they are.

Also, not sure if this is true everywhere, but at our store most of the year things are negotiable. From late october to Christmas you can't walk in and ask for a discount because everything is selling, but come January if you will pay $300 and the jacket you want is $400, and you tell the manager that, he will negotiate down from there. We have the price, the sale price, and the limit to where we don't make any money on the item but its gets it out the door. At some point you have to just start selling gear so you don't take a loss. I've sold lots of gear at prices where you make no money or lose money just to get rid of it. No one is going to list a board online that way because they don't have carrying costs like a store does.

Edited by Method9455

That makes a lot of sense about the pro form stuf, and I guess it would make sense to just suck it up and get the jacket I want.

Jacket is the only thing I splurge on, they last a really long time and the difference between the right one and the wrong one is just too great. I haven't had any "hard" good lasts more than 60 days on the hill which is about 2 seasons for me, but the jacket will last 5+ years.