2009 apparel "Trendy or lame"

Santa Clauss

I got my product guide for the 2009 season, pretty disappointed with the apparel lineup, if this is what they call trendy, Thats what I call needing to change to get people to buy the new shit.

I'll admit it, I like to buy new gear, I don't like to show off my stuf, I just want to be on the cutting edge of riding technology, I am by no means a GREAT rider, but I'm not a poser douche bag who thinks burton and Sean White's the shit. I'd like to be recognizable on the slope, not stand out... When I looked at TWS buyers guide I was hoping to find a new coat to buy because my old ones ready to be retired, but I cant see one coat I would be interested in buying.

I'f you didn't see the guide yet, i'll fill you in, in the apparel section, starting out, the first thing that stands out is a matching set by Rip Curl, called "Gore Ghetto Love" the coat is $370 and the matching pants are $270. Its basically a print of speakers and there brand name all over the place, horrible, horrible. Next item to catch my eye is a ONE PIECE camo suit... $449 by Ronnin (BURTON) Cant you get like the same thing from gander mountain for like a quarter of the price? if thats trendy then I guess i'm not... for the Ladies, I see parkas (not sure thats the right name) style coats with like six buttons on the front. and a $600 leather (look) one piece. on and on I'm seeing ugly obnoxious prints and ugly colors. The pants are not that bad though, but for the coats, it seems like they just changed style just to change.

(can someone please explain to me why burton made the "No fish" the $500 board with a rope and no bindings... sounds like something you buy for $39.99 at Walmart.)

I also got a pullout of the DC winter gear, I see a matching black and yellow coat, pant, boot and board! somebody please, its gotta take a lot of balls to rock all that shit, I would love to see it... also, its worthy noting that they have a coat and pant in a reflected silver kinda space suit deal... For some reason I remember people being really pumped because DC was making boards this year, now explain to me how DC wouldn't be like BURTON with there mass produced boards that don't get touched by humans until they got to the store...

Last year, I bought a pair of black Holden classics, there kinda tight around the thy and flair out for your boots, now when you rock this with a couple layers under there the best pants i've ever worn, no big pockets, or crazy shit hanging off them, just comfortable and not in the way, plus not too many people wear them so its kinda unique, Holden even has a full ad in the guide, there coats are not blinding colors and no crazy stripes and shit. great stuff.

All I want is a big puffy coat with a fur hood...

so unless your sponsored and(or) really (REALLY) good, wearing matching pants and coat is gay (We all know that, I hope), hey, and so is wearing 9 bandanas and frogskins. and if you buy DC's matching coat, pants, boots, and board, I want to take your picture because your the biggest douche bag to ever hit a slope

So If you buy into this years clothing lineup just remember, next year your stuff will be out of style, and you will have to buy more, saying that, i'll have to say that when it comes to the boards, the banana type reverse camber boards,looks like they make a lot of sense, and i'll admit that i'm going to probably buy into that this year when my DH is done.

So I guess i'll sum all this ranting up, where has the industry gone? and where the hell is it going?

That's besides the point. It doesn't matter how many times a year they ride. If it sells, then the companies have achieved their goal.

After reading some of your post, I love buying new gear to. I have so much stuff i don't even need, but i continue to buy new stuff every year. Just seems it gets harder and harder to find stuff that i like, since a lot of the new stuff has insane patterns that i'd never wear. Most of which is draw up by people who are pretty much crazy.

As far as the No Fish goes. Im not sure if you've heard of NoBoarding yet or not, but thats what it's based off of. Go google "NoBoarding" and you'll see what it is. Someone in BC was board and put a rope and some pads on there old board to get a more surf like feel. I honestly things it's just another trend, and it will only work in Pow, but it might be cool for alittle bit.

Edited by Dan-

Your right about that they gotta make $$$... But In addition, I'm no fashion expert but I don't think this stuff will sell that well, with the way things are these days, I don't think people will be shelling out the cash for this junk. I think you'll be seeing most of these items on the discount rack in february.

Edited by Santa

I disagree. Snow sports in general are already a sport for people who have some coin to drop. Some stuff will end up on the discount rack like every year, but people want to be different it's just part of our nature, so they'll buy some crazy looking jacket because they'll stand out and not every tom dick and harry will be wearing the same thing.

I guess i should have read your first post haha.

About DC boards, i got to look at them today. They seem to be very solid. A lot of the tech is from Lib and Gnu. They are pressed in Spain in the Rossi Factory to my knowledge. A few pros had a lot to do with the shapes of them.

As far as reverse camber, It looks like that is the future of snowboarding. I have yet to ride one, but from all the people i talked to, everyone has loved it.

Edited by Dan-

Now its just finding the right one, the banana looks better this year but seems like its defiantly catching on i'll just wait till mid season to get a good deal and read some reviews... also, did you see rides contraband bindings with the rubber toe strap deal? so far I bought 2 pairs of ride bindings and love them...

Yeah i've seen the contraband binding. Im a bit skeptical on that one.

I rode Ride SPi's for the past 2 seasons and loved them, minus the horrid buckles that have been fixed since i bought mine. Im going to be on some Rome Targa's this year. I've heard nothing but good things about Rome bindings so we'll see.

I don't have any reason to read TWS, but I know TJ Shiller's new jacket is pretty wicked...

I'm too old and too big to wear something like that, but I think it's pretty wicked..

TJPro.jpg

Then again WTF do I know... I think Fur is soooo Davy F'n Crocket and played out by people like Fat Joe....lol

Edited by phillycore

Now I like that, its super clean, except it might be hard to keep clean, but yea thats the kinda coat i'm lookin for. and as for Romes bindings, yeah my brother got some last year, not sure what model, but the back was too stiff and he hated them, he liked my ride alphas much more I read some on the contraband's and there getting some good reviews, don't know about the durability of the strap but I'm sure they did there R&D and I have a feeling that there gonna b great...

dude I think a fur hood would be sick especially on those cold nights... but hey its my opinion.

personally i don't care for bright colors at all. i've always been an earth tone guy. on the other hand it s trendy right now across the entire realm of fashion, look at all the bright colored custom nikes and flat brimmed fitted hats. it is what is in right now and the industry is just putting out what people want. almost every company still carries the standard sold colors and earth tones if you actually look in the catalogs. so there is something out there for everyone, but of course tws is going to highlight the trendy shit.

all i gotta say is i'm stoked i finally found a good deal on a brown coat and brown plaid pants. been hunting down a good deal on that for years. it is all special blend so it is a little baggier then i'm used to, but i'll just flash some gang signs and toss some slang around to make it all cohesive, haha.

In my opinion i dont like anything ive seen this season as for outerwear. Weird designs with geometric shapes, weird color combos that really dont work.

I dont like multi-colored jackets/pants. To me ,its too much. This year im getting another pair of "denim" pants, and a cheap black jacket and im good.

Now wait a minute, is it really what the people want? or is it what's "Trendy" making it cool makes you say, ohh i gotta have that because its trendy. think about things you have bought, and think, would you have bought that 2 years before? did it make sense to buy distressed jeans? i'll admit, I have a couple pair of faded jeans but nothing with huge gapping holes in them, but that kinda came and went too... I'm sure there are items out there that we can all be satisfied with but my whole point is that the companies are trying to tell us what we should think is cool, now I'll buy into innovation... reverse camber sounds ingenious and if it will give me a better ride and give me a more satisfying run through the park i'll buy into it.

But hey, companies need to make money and they wont make it by people not buying new coats... i cant even imagine the mark up on the clothing, but if it helps for funding R&D on boots bindings and boards than... ahhh So i guess after reading what i wrote, I pretty much contradicted my self. but hey, its just an aggravated rant and thats what forums are made for!!!

Just buy what you like.I feel for the past couple of years clothing design(colors and style) have gone down hill.They always seem to have stuff in some earth tones though.To me that's classic and will never go out of "style".

It's there job to tell you what you need..and if you buy into that then they have done there job.

Edited by Mixilplix

I don't have any reason to read TWS, but I know TJ Shiller's new jacket is pretty wicked...

I'm too old and too big to wear something like that, but I think it's pretty wicked..

TJPro.jpg

Then again WTF do I know... I think Fur is soooo Davy F'n Crocket and played out by people like Fat Joe....lol

Orage... Very very rarely on any kind of discount and not a ton of people carry a lot of it. I think its just about made to order.

Orage... Very very rarely on any kind of discount and not a ton of people carry a lot of it. I think its just about made to order.

No discounts until the end of the year, but it isn't even close to made to order. Its everywhere if you look and the picture below shows I'm not talking out of my ass.

img2446di7.jpg

The ski bum carries orage...and that same jacket at their store in Newark, De. (different color though (maroon)

I believe I've seen orage at Nestors as well...

Plus there's a bunch of online places that sell orage..

You can get it, just not at places like Dick's, Sports Authority, or course...lol

I got my product guide for the 2009 season, pretty disappointed with the apparel lineup, if this is what they call trendy, Thats what I call needing to change to get people to buy the new shit.

I'll admit it, I like to buy new gear, I don't like to show off my stuf, I just want to be on the cutting edge of riding technology, I am by no means a GREAT rider, but I'm not a poser douche bag who thinks burton and Sean White's the shit. I'd like to be recognizable on the slope, not stand out... When I looked at TWS buyers guide I was hoping to find a new coat to buy because my old ones ready to be retired, but I cant see one coat I would be interested in buying.

I'f you didn't see the guide yet, i'll fill you in, in the apparel section, starting out, the first thing that stands out is a matching set by Rip Curl, called "Gore Ghetto Love" the coat is $370 and the matching pants are $270. Its basically a print of speakers and there brand name all over the place, horrible, horrible. Next item to catch my eye is a ONE PIECE camo suit... $449 by Ronnin (BURTON) Cant you get like the same thing from gander mountain for like a quarter of the price? if thats trendy then I guess i'm not... for the Ladies, I see parkas (not sure thats the right name) style coats with like six buttons on the front. and a $600 leather (look) one piece. on and on I'm seeing ugly obnoxious prints and ugly colors. The pants are not that bad though, but for the coats, it seems like they just changed style just to change.

(can someone please explain to me why burton made the "No fish" the $500 board with a rope and no bindings... sounds like something you buy for $39.99 at Walmart.)

I also got a pullout of the DC winter gear, I see a matching black and yellow coat, pant, boot and board! somebody please, its gotta take a lot of balls to rock all that shit, I would love to see it... also, its worthy noting that they have a coat and pant in a reflected silver kinda space suit deal... For some reason I remember people being really pumped because DC was making boards this year, now explain to me how DC wouldn't be like BURTON with there mass produced boards that don't get touched by humans until they got to the store...

Last year, I bought a pair of black Holden classics, there kinda tight around the thy and flair out for your boots, now when you rock this with a couple layers under there the best pants i've ever worn, no big pockets, or crazy shit hanging off them, just comfortable and not in the way, plus not too many people wear them so its kinda unique, Holden even has a full ad in the guide, there coats are not blinding colors and no crazy stripes and shit. great stuff.

All I want is a big puffy coat with a fur hood...

so unless your sponsored and(or) really (REALLY) good, wearing matching pants and coat is gay (We all know that, I hope), hey, and so is wearing 9 bandanas and frogskins. and if you buy DC's matching coat, pants, boots, and board, I want to take your picture because your the biggest douche bag to ever hit a slope

So If you buy into this years clothing lineup just remember, next year your stuff will be out of style, and you will have to buy more, saying that, i'll have to say that when it comes to the boards, the banana type reverse camber boards,looks like they make a lot of sense, and i'll admit that i'm going to probably buy into that this year when my DH is done.

So I guess i'll sum all this ranting up, where has the industry gone? and where the hell is it going?

I'm gonna say that if you took that much time to write that, and read that deeply into it, then you sir care too much about what people are wearing and whats trendy. Lighten up, worry about yourself, and have some fun.

hey, guess what, I had the time to write it that day and its something that has been bugging me for a long time... Writing about things that piss me off is a way for me to get it off my chest, ya know? I'm just frustrated because i've been looking for a good jacket that's for me for a while and when I look at what's "hot" i see a bunch of insane looking crap... but anyway, i'm over it. i'll just say what I wrote was basically a review of TWS's product guide.