Boot / Liner question

phillycore

I'll try to make this as short as possible...

I've been suffering from an ingrown nail on my big toe and it puts me into absolute agony when it comes to my ski boots.

The pain is coming from the liner being too tight lengthwise and not from shell..

My question is this..

I have a pair of Rossignol soft boots that are in a larger size (that's why I replaced them actually when I actually got fitted and realized that I was in too large of a boot.)

Can I take the liner out of the rossi's and put them into my Dalbello's.

I mean I know I can do it.. I tried it and it does fit into the shell, however the Rossi liners are a little taller in height than my Dalbello's are.

With the Rossi liners in my Dalbello boots I don't get that pressure point on my toe which means no pain.

So will this affect the performance of the boot any??

I've had the Dalbello liners stretched twice last season so stretching the liner further isn't an option..

I posted this over on AZ as well... just looking for an alternative to chopping my toe the hell off....lol

Gnaw off the nail, squeeze the puss out.

No seriuosly, go to a podiatrist

I've been to a podiatrist quite a few times...

It's one of those things that keeps coming back...

Not infected or anything like that, just get pain from it being sharp on the inside of the skin...

I've been to a podiatrist quite a few times...

It's one of those things that keeps coming back...

Not infected or anything like that, just get pain from it being sharp on the inside of the skin...

after shoving my feet into tight soccer cleats for the last 19 years, i understand where you are coming from.

i don't know if there are any boot fitters in PA, but if you can find one, get him to punch out the toe box in the shell.

If the shoe fits wear it. Liners are about fit, shells provide the performance. If the liner fits the shell and your foot, I can't see how it would be a problem.

not true, liners are very important when it comes to performance. Why do you think people buy intuitions?

not true, liners are very important when it comes to performance. Why do you think people buy intuitions?

The front page of their website says LUXURY. It's about fit. I guess warmth counts as performance. Still, the shell is what counts. The rest is comfort and fitting that foot and shell.

If the liners are bigger, your going to have more liner than you need between you and the boot and that could be a problem, mainly as the liner packs out. Then you'll have other problems, like a loose spots in the boot that you won't be able to tighten around because of the excess material.

Ever consider the new moldable liners that get formed to your foot? If you have a particular foot problem you can tell them and they can work around it when they form the liner. Not sure how far you want to travel, but Pinnacle in Reading has good bootfitters. Found them when I searched for bootfitters, PA in google. I had a lot of shell work done and they were very good. Friend of mine had the liners done at Buckmans and he liked them, so you've certainly got choices.

Someone from AZ gave me a great tip on how to get a little more toe room...

I'll try it tomorrow night after I pick up some supplies...

FWIW... My left foot has always been jammed into the toebox of the liner even with the liner being out of the boot..

Also the liners on my boots are 1/2" shorter than the shell. There's room there for the liners to pack out and when they do they'll be even better..

I need to speed that process up a little bit on my left foot in the big toe area.. That's why I was considering using the liners from my other boots..

However the tip I got will work much better than my old liners and is definitely the direction I want to try first..

I know I'm being vague here, but the person that sent me the tip probably wants it kept private as it was sent to me in a pm.

Edited by phillycore

The front page of their website says LUXURY. It's about fit. I guess warmth counts as performance. Still, the shell is what counts. The rest is comfort and fitting that foot and shell.

and every product description talks about the added performance you get with intuitions.

and every product description talks about the added performance you get with intuitions.
Correct! I just molded mine today and they fit amazing. Can't wait to try them this weekend and finally no more cold toes with the lame rampage liner.

Anyways I would rock the old liner if its all you got right now just to see how it is. If it work and your comfortable in it then ride it, if not go get some boot work done and get a nice pair of intuitions to top it off.

I was always skeptical of Nestor's true ability to fit boots. But I'm sold. I bought some tight ass race boots, and after working with them, they're almost perfect. I never thought I could fit in a boot this small (street shoe is a 12, ski boot is a 9.5) but I love the performance. I just got new foot beds, and with some adjustments to the liners (adding more padding, actually) I think I'm a visit or two away from perfection.

Liner-gate isn't going to work.... apparently my liner is a tad different after looking at it and it's just not going to happen...

For now I'm just going to try it out with my old liners as they fit into the shell without any real bunching.

Just for reference reasons... what's the deal with the intuition liners.. I hear that name everywhere but I have no idea what they are, etc..

I don't ski enough that spending time with a pro boot fitter is going to be worth it $$ wise..

The ski bum did a pretty damn good job matching me up with the shells, and honestly if the liners filled in that 1/2" gap between them and the shell they'd be spot on.. They've been punched out twice already (and heat stretched) and there's no more room for them to be stretched as they're stretched all the way to where the stiching is coming out from under the rubber sole part.

It honestly comes down to the fact that they aren't long enough.

FWIW...My ski boots are a 29.5 and I wear a 13 sneaker.

Another liner option would not be a bad idea, but I'd need something that I can just buy and drop in there, not something that I'd be paying someone a lot of coin (and time) to get molded etc.

I can only ski 20-25 days a year..

In reality by the time I'm done buying boots, liners, etc.. I know I could have just went and got custom ones, but whatever...

Next time I'm up around Nestors I'll probably just stop in and try to get something done... but driving 1.5hrs. isn't something I want to do right now unless I'm skiing..

Liner-gate isn't going to work.... apparently my liner is a tad different after looking at it and it's just not going to happen...

For now I'm just going to try it out with my old liners as they fit into the shell without any real bunching.

Just for reference reasons... what's the deal with the intuition liners.. I hear that name everywhere but I have no idea what they are, etc..

fyi, Buckman's carries Intuition liners and we have trained boot fitters at every location. The Intuition liners are great especially as replacements in older boots that have liners which have packed out and are sloppy. They are also great for giving you a better custom fit in new boots.

I have had some toe nail issues over the years as well and after the podiatrist took care of them I now make sure I keep my toe nails as short as possible especially during ski season. I like tight boots and keeping the nails trimmed helps.

I also have gotten a pair of the Intuition liners, had them molded to my feet, and use them in my main set of boots. Now all is well with both the fit/comfort and performance of my boots.

I am not sure if Ski Bum carries them but if you are from that area then King of Prussia is an easy trek. Stop in and ask for Dave Yatsko or either of the store managers Matt Mutter or Drew Kinckiner. They are probably our best 3 boot fitters at that location. Our stores are open 10a-9p M-F, 10a-5p Sat and are closed on Sundays!

I've skied Intuition liners going on four years now and won't buy another product until something better is available. They solved all my boot problems in one stroke. They give a great fit, they are warm, and they are reasonably priced for the performance they deliver.

FWIW...My ski boots are a 29.5 and I wear a 13 sneaker.

you should have no problems with those boots then if you get a proper boot fitter to remold the liners. I also ski a 29 shell and i am in a 15 sneaker. the only thing done to the boot besides properly molding the liner is a custom foot bed.

Edited by jordan

I'm getting a neoprene toe stitched into the left liner to give me more room there...

It has a little more give than the boot liner itself, yet won't affect the performance of the boot any as the only thing getting cut is the toe area than a new toe area stitched back on in a neoprene fabric which has more elasticity.

I'm getting a neoprene toe stitched into the left liner to give me more room there...

It has a little more give than the boot liner itself, yet won't affect the performance of the boot any as the only thing getting cut is the toe area than a new toe area stitched back on in a neoprene fabric which has more elasticity.

my Lange WorldCup's have a neoprene toe area in the stock liner so you're all good!