Snowaking Update

BC-Mark

All I can say is Wow! It is rare we get nights like last night and it always amazes me at the amount of snow we can make in such a short period of time.

post-791-1232115667_thumb.jpg

I have gotten a few inquiries about the snowmaking schedule, so here is the explanation.

The snowmaking strategy during prolonged cold snaps is designed to provide the best conditions day in and day out. Freshly made snow during cold snaps maintains its quality for two to three days before it begins to deteriorate. If we made snow every night at these temperatures we would drain the ponds completely in 2 to 4 days based on their current pond levels and refresh rates. This would require us to wait 6 to 10 days before the next snowmaking window. While this produces large quantities of snow in a short period of time, it does not provide quality conditions over a long time period.

The forecast is for at least 10 nights of cold weather and we have a plan in place to utilize our water resources to their fullest potential. To do this, you will see us make snow on the coldest nights which guarantees the highest rate of conversion from liquid to solid and minimizes evaporation which maximizes production. The net result in quantity of snow produced is greater than making on the warmer nights and we end up with better conditions over a longer period of time.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is Wow! It is rare we get nights like last night and it always amazes me at the amount of snow we can make in such a short period of time.

post-791-1232115667_thumb.jpg

I have gotten a few inquiries about the snowmaking schedule, so here is the explanation.

Mark thanks for the explanation.. that makes a lot of sense. Question. How much snow do you guys think you could make, and is there any like theoretical limit to the amount of snow the mountain can handle (such as where it becomes unstable, etc -- I know it aint a mountain, but snow can still shift) I mean, I can't remember a 62" base ever at bear... I watched the conditions even before I went snowboarding..

The only slopes that may have issues with base depth are Sasquatch and Extreme.

Sasquatch is steep enough that we have had a few slides caused by groomers when we have large piles of snow to move. For that reason, we typically try to push Sasquatch to a consistent depth and compact the snow with a groomer as much as we can. The major risk is snow that hasn't been homogenized (for lack of a better word) and compacted or drastic changes in depth over short distances that could cause the layers to shear and slide.

Extreme is right on the edge of being steep enough to slide under the same conditions but the bigger concern there is chair height. I would not want anything over a 60" base on the steep section of Extreme due to a chair clearance issues.

In the past, we have had piles as deep at 35' on the top of Kodiak's headwall and consistent base depths of up to 80" on the Polar Bear and Timberline but those are rare. In those years we still had piles of snow on those trails into July.

This time of year, we will go as deep as we can to try and mitigate impacts of the prolonged thaws we are prone to receive.

The only slopes that may have issues with base depth are Sasquatch and Extreme.

Sasquatch is steep enough that we have had a few slides caused by groomers when we have large piles of snow to move. For that reason, we typically try to push Sasquatch to a consistent depth and compact the snow with a groomer as much as we can. The major risk is snow that hasn't been homogenized (for lack of a better word) and compacted or drastic changes in depth over short distances that could cause the layers to shear and slide.

Extreme is right on the edge of being steep enough to slide under the same conditions but the bigger concern there is chair height. I would not want anything over a 60" base on the steep section of Extreme due to a chair clearance issues.

In the past, we have had piles as deep at 35' on the top of Kodiak's headwall and consistent base depths of up to 80" on the Polar Bear and Timberline but those are rare. In those years we still had piles of snow on those trails into July.

This time of year, we will go as deep as we can to try and mitigate impacts of the prolonged thaws we are prone to receive.

this is just a question but since 80% of business at the end of the season is park rats doesn't it seem to make the most sence to just destroy the parks and kodiak with snow because if bear could keep them open to the begining of june that would be so sick.... even if it was just a friday sat sunday maybe monday deal

just an idea

We're all for beating boulder arent we ;-)

yes. yes we are.

Yeah, even if the park is worse like some people said, there are large contests and events that go down there, unlike Bear.

It's a good hype bringer.

they do get ALOT of hype from those comps but they are always boarder comps which is reallll lame.

Well.. from being at BB last week, unless things have changed dramatically.. the conditions are all but the same right now between the two mountains. Hats off to the BC snowmaking/grooming crew.. they are kicking ass. All we need is a slightly below normal or average february with a snowstorm or two and I can't see why BC can't be open until April.

Yeah there's gonna be some warm weather in March.. but typically it does not get that warm... just has been in past years.

All we need is a slightly below normal or average february with a snowstorm or two and I can't see why BC can't be open until April.

Yeah there's gonna be some warm weather in March.. but typically it does not get that warm... just has been in past years.

We've gone over this a million times, temp. isn't the problem getting non-season pass holders is. If the $$$ is there they will stay open.