12/13/08

AtomicSkier

I pulled into the Blue Mountain lower lodge for the first time on a weekend this year. I was really early, so I booted up in the lodge, and was all ready to go before Doug even pulled in. We were the first ones on the lift, but somehow, because they didn't get "clearance" from the top, we had to wait one chair which allowed this goober to get on with us. He was definately trying to impress us with his skiing knowledge. The guy was so happy to get first chair, but he was quickly informed by Doug that he wouldn't be getting first chair on the second run ;)

Challenge was awesome early morning! The first run down was sooo smooth. The first 5 runs on Challenge were epic. By that time, it was snowing pretty freaking hard, and accumulating slowly, but surely. We were rolling with Skier112 and we saw MBike Mike, but he wanted to take it slow because he was hung over, so we ditched him ASAP ;) By then, Challenge was starting to get a little chunky on the top from all the racers out (Blue Mtn and Ridge ski team in the house), but the middle was still nice and smooth. Some race coach didn't like Doug and I skiing fast near his racers on Challenge, but whatever, it's not Razors Edge where they can close it off. You gotta ski with the masses, buddy.

While we were in line for the 6pack, this girl went out to far, and got clipped by the lift. She backed up, and got clipped again. She backed up, and got clipped again. By this time, she had let 4 chairs go by and Doug and I kept yelling "GO! GO! GO!". She still didn't go, and her boyfriend turned around and told us to shut the f*ck up. Whoops.

We then headed over to Main Street, because I saw from the parking lot that they had blown last night, and figured they blew in the bumps, and they had. Bumps were awesome for Dec 13th. Nice 4" of fresh blown snow on them, and you could ski a nice line through them, with the most legit bumps at the bottom. We eventually saw TMahky and his boys, so we skied two bump runs with them. We had a nice little bump session going, that's fo sure. All in all 6 bump runs, 1 lazy mile, and the rest on Challenge. Good for 20 runs and 21,000 vertical feet.

We went directly to the BMDI for a good breakfast after skiing the bumps. Awesome session. I'm really tempted to ski tomorrow morning. We'll see how much studying I get done today.

The alarm was going off way too early this morning at 5:30 but I was in for an awesome drive up to Blue. The moon was full (largest of the year) and still shining big time until 7:00. I thought today was going to be sunny (and in fact it is back home right now) but as AJ said above, it was snowing pretty good at the hill.

Today was "day one" for me and I couldn't be more pleased. Really good conditions, and just a few people on the slopes. Now I am watching some World Cup GS racing on Universal Sports TV now and enjoying the rest of the day. Perhaps I'll chop some wood for the fire later. Otherwise, there is nothing to do except wax up the skis for tomorrow's Dawn Patrol. See ya then.

P.S. The two dudes on snowboards that were carving it up on Challenge were pretty good. I like it when they get their bodies parallel to the ground.

The alarm was going off way too early this morning at 5:30 but I was in for an awesome drive up to Blue. The moon was full (largest of the year) and still shining big time until 7:00. I thought today was going to be sunny (and in fact it is back home right now) but as AJ said above, it was snowing pretty good at the hill.

Today was "day one" for me and I couldn't be more pleased. Really good conditions, and just a few people on the slopes. Now I am watching some World Cup GS racing on Universal Sports TV now and enjoying the rest of the day. Perhaps I'll chop some wood for the fire later. Otherwise, there is nothing to do except wax up the skis for tomorrow's Dawn Patrol. See ya then.

P.S. The two dudes on snowboards that were carving it up on Challenge were pretty good. I like it when they get their bodies parallel to the ground.

The guy in gray is PASR's own JBS. He loves when Razor's is open and can use the whole width :lol:

Blue was definitely legit today.

I pulled into the Blue Mountain lower lodge for the first time on a weekend this year. I was really early, so I booted up in the lodge, and was all ready to go before Doug even pulled in. We were the first ones on the lift, but somehow, because they didn't get "clearance" from the top, we had to wait one chair which allowed this goober to get on with us. He was definately trying to impress us with his skiing knowledge. The guy was so happy to get first chair, but he was quickly informed by Doug that he wouldn't be getting first chair on the second run ;)

Challenge was awesome early morning! The first run down was sooo smooth. The first 5 runs on Challenge were epic. By that time, it was snowing pretty freaking hard, and accumulating slowly, but surely. We were rolling with Skier112 and we saw MBike Mike, but he wanted to take it slow because he was hung over, so we ditched him ASAP ;) By then, Challenge was starting to get a little chunky on the top from all the racers out (Blue Mtn and Ridge ski team in the house), but the middle was still nice and smooth. Some race coach didn't like Doug and I skiing fast near his racers on Challenge, but whatever, it's not Razors Edge where they can close it off. You gotta ski with the masses, buddy.

While we were in line for the 6pack, this girl went out to far, and got clipped by the lift. She backed up, and got clipped again. She backed up, and got clipped again. By this time, she had let 4 chairs go by and Doug and I kept yelling "GO! GO! GO!". She still didn't go, and her boyfriend turned around and told us to shut the f*ck up. Whoops.

We then headed over to Main Street, because I saw from the parking lot that they had blown last night, and figured they blew in the bumps, and they had. Bumps were awesome for Dec 13th. Nice 4" of fresh blown snow on them, and you could ski a nice line through them, with the most legit bumps at the bottom. We eventually saw TMahky and his boys, so we skied two bump runs with them. We had a nice little bump session going, that's fo sure. All in all 6 bump runs, 1 lazy mile, and the rest on Challenge. Good for 20 runs and 21,000 vertical feet.

We went directly to the BMDI for a good breakfast after skiing the bumps. Awesome session. I'm really tempted to ski tomorrow morning. We'll see how much studying I get done today.

Damn, I really feel like I missed out today. I'm stuck helping my brother put down a new kitchen floor for mom. F the race coaches. News flash, they don't own/run the mountain. I probably would have wet myself watching that girl lose a battle with the lift, but your description is a classic.

I'll be out tomorrow.

holy shmokes the snow was nice this morning! was running a little slow this morning after the office xmas party :cheers: got to the lower lot and booted up around 7:50 only to realize i forgot my helmet :tinfoil: , didn't even have a hat in the car so went over to the rental shop and they were nice enough to let me borrow one at no cost - thanks guys. on the way over to the chair ran into my neighbor kurt and his son and skiid with them all morning - it was a perfet pace for my modified energy level. lapped challenge mostly which was really nice top to bottom and was holding up real well with 4 runs on lazy mile which was pretty good as well , down lower sidewinder through the ltp - really fun small jump line on the left. saw doug and jeff and i guess it was skiier112 crusing challenge and then doug again on tuts/lazy. never mad it over to barneys as i was content to be mellow cruiser this morning. on the way out got a egg sammich and a coffee from the new mocalattecappucino cabin - i asked if she was sure if blue mountain was ready to swap funnel cakes for cappucinos, she laughed and siad its gonna be a new mountain.....hey if conditions are gonna be like this morning i'll take it!

Bumps were awesome today. So fun to get in some decent blown snow. Kinda sad that its the only spot on the whole hill, but I'll take it. That kid Chris rips em up too! Very fun to watch. I think I'm gonna do a bump clinic up north this year. They're always something that I've wanted to improve at because people who can ski bumps comfortably and look good doing it seem to be able to ski pretty solidly in just about any other conditions. Professional Ski Instructors of America offers educational clinics throughout the season to its members, and I think non-members can tag along for a small extra fee. I have one buddy who is very interested, if anyone else is let me know and I wouldn't mind putting together a small group.

Edited by T*Maki

On Saturday, or yesterday? Was the person who you thought was me, wearing an obnoxiously blue jacket and matching boots? hahah

Saturday morning... I recall a very blue jacket... glasses and helmet... looked like K2 skis though?

My wife was also wearing a very bright blue jacket and white helmet - I had a green and grey jacket and grey helmet...