Jack Frost 12-13 Opening Day

phillycore

Woke up to my blackberry alarm at 5:30 and had to tag the snooze button to get out of bed...lol

Finally got up and woke my son up, loaded the powder white XL7 and headed to the WaWa for a gas n go.

Took it nice and slow on the way up (75mph) as I didn't want to get a ticket before next weekends trek to Stratton.

Arrived in the lot a little on the late side for me, but I was in no rush. Started booting up when someone parked next

to me and I thought to myself I think that's Barb. I asked her if she was Barb from PASR and it was.

Barb and crew booted up and moved onto the lift ticket window and Mike and I followed a minute or so behind.

Got out tix and headed straight for DeMatte's demise... It was fresh cord covered by an inch of pocono powder and was smooth as silk.

I then split from my son and he went back on DeMatte's as I headed towards Thunderbolt which must've been groomed later as there was no powder

on top, just fresh cord. I next hit Challenge which was simalar to T-Bolt but much nicer. You could carve it like thinly sliced ham on X-mas.

Sooo Smooth... I ran into the same guy I always run into on weekend first tracks (don't know his name, just that he's always there and he skis on some older PE's..he's totally legit though and is a really good skier) Rode the chair with him and chatted about skis and whatever for a minute. I then hit challenge a few more times messing around in the trees on occasion, then moved onto T-bolt glade. The gladed areas really make Jack Frost so much fun to ski at. Eventually I ran into Mike at the top of the lift where he was waiting for me. We then skied thunderbolt together a few times and moved onto challenge, then exhibition where they were blowing and it made some piles to jump off of and screw around with. Around 10:35 we took a really quick break to get warmed up as it was cold. Left the lodge just before 11 and started to unlock our skis when I saw one of Barb's kids crying out front of where the ski racks are. I recognized his camo burton jacket from when they parked next to us so I asked him if he was okay. He nodded, I then asked if he lost his mom and he nodded again. I tried to make him feel better by telling him I knew his mom's name was Barb and I would help him find her. He said he saw his uncle's board on the rack, so I asked him his uncles name and he said it was Jerry XXXX. I left my son with him and I went inside to go ask guest services to have him paged, but I recognized him walking down the hall and told him his nephew was outside upset. We went together to him and then Mike and I went back to ski as Jerry helped him with his skis and all that. Mike and I headed for the green trails as we wanted to hit ridge run... It was rather boring so we only did that once then headed over to love park.

We did that twice then made our way back to play in the trees over on thunderbolt - challenge.

Even though it was the first day they were open you could make it easily from top to bottom in the woods alongside both challenge and t-bolt glade.

It appears as if they cut away some more trees in there too so it's even more open to shred than before.. STOKE!!!!

I then spent the next hour or so helping Mike make turns and getting him to get away from relying on the snowplow when he felt like he was going too fast.

He made some serious improvement today which I'm hyped about because next weekend I'm taking him up to Stratton with me as an early X-mas present.

He's never skied outside of Pa before and he doesn't even know he's going yet. I am having a really hard time not telling him too.

To end the day we went back and played around in the glades and then took off after 36 runs.

Stopped by the McDonalds drive through for a really late lunch or early dinner and made the drive home.

Took it easy on the way back home again as I still don't want to get a ticket.....lol

Maybe I'll take a camera to stratton next week... probably not though...I'm lazy

JF was unbelievable for first day after all the rain we had Thursday. Got there at 8 and did laps on Challenge until 10:30 - about 30 runs. Perfect grooming - groomed it and blew snow on it last night and had about an inch os soft stuff on top. They had the right half of Exhibition open, but the guns were going down the whole slope.

So who has the H3 and Spanish Fly on their racks today? Don't you know boating season is over?

Edited by C1er

Thanks so much for helping my son out, Phillycore! My older son was riding very badly and I finally realized why. His feet grew so much they were hanging 3 inches over his board. I told my brother we were going to take a quick run over to mike and matts to get them adjusted. My brother is such a goofball I told him to meet Stephen @11 for lunch. Since we don't ususally go to frost I guess hwe was a bit unsure of himself.

This is also the first I am hearing of this story.

I also met lineskier18 who is a race coach for the little kids. I know he'd rather be training the bigger kids but he should take it as a compliment, not everyone can work with little kids.

Posting from a blackberry is annoying.

• 1 month later...
So who has the H3 and Spanish Fly on their racks today? Don't you know boating season is over?

"boating season" consists of rain landing on the earth and flowing downhill. 3" of rain in December fits that definition. We fired up the Black creek out from Weatherly on Friday 12-12-08, it was a cold but fantastic day.

Both boats are mine, I also have an OC2 a C1 playboat and multitude of butt boats. We should get out sometime C1er, what does "boat season" mean to you? Whats your boat of choice, I may have seen on you the river already?

~ Mark