Using Base Cleaners

PAsnwboardr

Hey All,

I just got a new snowboard (Rome Agent) and I went on a few runs with it already and it works great. I have never waxed my previous board myself, I always had a shop do it but i'm gonna try it with my new board. But my question is that when it eventually comes time to wax, should I use a base cleaner prior to waxing to remove dirt and grime or not? I heard conflicting things about base cleaners but i mostly have heard it can dry out the base, Is this true? Most articles around the net suggest to use a "hot wax" method instead of base cleaners to remove prior wax build up and grime. Just needed some advice. Thanks

Bingo. Scraping off the wax while it's still warm "pulls" dirt out of your base.

Exactly. I did it last week and the scrapings which are usually snow white were coming off black as soot. It looked like I had a pile of ash at the end of it. It will suck up dirt you can't even see and pull it out for you!

this makes me want to wax my skis instead of sit on the couch and watch college basketball...

You can do both. Thats what I was doing when I waxed.

true. game on.

and you get to drink beers all at the same time.

Waxing is actually really fun for me most of the time. I multi task with a boarding video or a game, and have a drink or 3 while doing it. Something that is really fun is when I have a little "waxing party" and invite some other riders over the night before a trip and we tune up the gear, have some brews and some laughs before hitting the snow the next day.

does anyone know any other things you could use for base cleaners? like soap or something?

No. Basically, you want to open up the pores with heat and use the clean wax to grab the dirt and pull it out. You scrape when it's warm so that the pores are still open.

I also forgot to ask if anyone has any suggestions for a good wax. I'm just looking for something that is not too expensive and will protect my base and make me go a little faster on the local trails. I heard alot of people talking about Doctor D's waxes but i'm also looking at oneballjay waxes and hertler super hot sauce waxes. If anyone had suggestions i'd appreciate it thanks

Edited by PAsnwboardr

I use Dr. D's stuff, usually the red or the green hydro, occasionally the "universal", but only if the weather is just plain all over the place. Only time I ever wished for another wax was Sunday, temps were REALLY REALLY low (not as bad as today, but hovering around zero by 1 PM) and on my first run I went into the shade on a flat section. Major mistake. Had to shuffle my way out of it. All was fine an hour later, but Swix CH4 is better once you get into the sib-zero range. I just hate using it, it feels like it'll never come off, won't even scrape unless you reheat it. I thought I'd trashed my skis at the beginning of this season, the stuff is like painting on enamel or something. (This is the Swix CH4). But, it glides where no one has glided before, to paraphrase an old TV show.

It depends on the amount of flats you are on. I don't know enough about snowboarding, but you know those cat tracks you all hate? Wax helps. Now, given the PA winter conditions, red wax is probably as good as "universal" most of the time.

temp specific wax is the way to go as long as you are willing to re wax whenever the temp changes. i think it makes a huge difference on my snowboard.

edit: i use ch6, ch8, ch10 depending on the temp.

Edited by zaldon