Father's Day at Blue

RootDKJ

x2 got up there about 4, looked but didn't see you or any other pasr's. my buddy was having some brake issues so we didn't get on the trails til almost 5 with a 1/2 hr lift line. the next coupla waits were only a few minutes tho. the super d is such a blast and held up to the rain really well. the last woods section with the little rollers is just designed and built so well you can just let 'er rip! very cool routing the end through the dual slalom course, what a hoot! with the major crowds in the afternoon it looked like very succesful event for blue, hopefully more to come!

So I'll admit I'm a round crayon amongst you sharp ones. Is this the beginning of a down hill mt bike season or was this a one day deal. Oh please tell me it's lift served every weekend? Please tell me I can go and bust the shit up out of myself within a 40 min ride? This would make my summer. No water park to contend with....no mall herbs.....say it isn't so. :rolleyes:

x2 got up there about 4, looked but didn't see you or any other pasr's. my buddy was having some brake issues so we didn't get on the trails til almost 5 with a 1/2 hr lift line. the next coupla waits were only a few minutes tho. the super d is such a blast and held up to the rain really well. the last woods section with the little rollers is just designed and built so well you can just let 'er rip! very cool routing the end through the dual slalom course, what a hoot! with the major crowds in the afternoon it looked like very succesful event for blue, hopefully more to come!

I am far from serious DH'er and I had a lot of fun. I hope Blue start being open weekends, I will be back if they are.

So I'll admit I'm a round crayon amongst you sharp ones. Is this the beginning of a down hill mt bike season or was this a one day deal. Oh please tell me it's lift served every weekend? Please tell me I can go and bust the shit up out of myself within a 40 min ride? This would make my summer. No water park to contend with....no mall herbs.....say it isn't so. :rolleyes:

yesterday was the 2nd of 4 mtb events at blue and the only non race one, next 2 are 7/31 and some time in september. I'm not a racer or DH'er, more of an all mountain old guy but had a great time at the first 2. on race day the lifts open at 8 and run til 12 for pre-race riding, you can get enough rides in to justify the hefty reg/lift fee, next time i might even stick around long enough to post a super-d and/or sl race time. judged on the success and good feedback of the first 2 events i'd say there is more lift served mtb in the future at blue

i didn't die or brake anything. i'll count it as a success. lets hope they open for non-racing soon, it was super fun.

Thats always a good way to end a day of mountain biking (and skiing). If they open weekends, I think they will pull quite a few people from Mountain Creek and I know I will be back..with Finndog in tow.

haha, after our last run we did a fist bump - live to ride another day! we stayed on the super-d (blue #4) and sl which is about the same difficulty as our usual rides and about as gnarly as i feel comfortable with on a med travel bike and no body armor. anybody ride the reds? i'd be interested in what they were like, and would like to hit the jump line. any way the day was very cool, thanks again to vertical earth and blue. here's a post on bikevmb.com from dan at vertical earth who pretty much put this thing together:

Sunday was a freaking great day. To start the day at 6:30 am it was rain slightly at the top of the mountain. I said to myself " it is what it is " to try and keep the sanity with mother nature's gift the last few weeks. The forecast the night before at 1:00 am was 70% chance of rain, mostly in the morning. As the morning continued the rain tapered off the tape went up, and suddenly it looked like it might just stop raining. The Vertical Earth crew showed up ready to put on their first debut to the open public. By the time they finished grooming the trails the line was 30 deep. Not to mention I'm seeing a different crowd of riders. The crew got back to the base and the line was longer. I couldn't believe the turnout with the forecast we had. The VE crew went up found the new riders and put tours on all day. I know George, Chris Hecki, Smiley, Fletcher, etc., took multiple groups down the mountain to give mountain tours to our new guests which seemed to go over very well. The Roncas were rolling fixing and tuning bikes that were fresh to this type of terrain. THX guys for being there and putting on a great show.

To sum up the past few months I can't express the thx to all who have come up to be part of this project. In the beginning of the season there were multiple groups of riders from different places. Not everyone knew each other and funny enough it was very noticeable the different clicks. For me, I know most of the riders and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't just one big party. My fiance mentioned to me over the weekend, she noticed how some people now embrace one another when they see each other. This whole adventure has been a roller coaster with the hands up at all times. The most rewarding experience for me is to see the new friendships, stories, good times, etc., that has been a result of the Vertical Earth movement. Of course there are some speed bumps along the way but ultimately they are " speed bumps. " As a result it looks like a mountain bike park in our back yards is about to open. The fine details of course are being figured out but the mountain is very excited and I feel very comfortable letting everyone know that it looks like a go ! The rider count was 218 with a not so favorable forecast. Big THX to all the riders for putting on a good impression to the mountain. Riders were pleasant, clean, patient, and very friendly showing what the sport is all about. The future looks very bright to bring the best mountain bike experience for all riders with lift access here within an hour for most. The next race is July 31st - Aug 2nd. Stay tuned for more details to roll out.

I was rolling around on a Long travel HT, and wasn't feeling ballsy enough to ride the DH course, but our buddy Corey did. Said they were pretty tough, slick, full of roots and rocks, and fairly steep.

I was rolling around on a Long travel HT, and wasn't feeling ballsy enough to ride the DH course, but our buddy Corey did. Said they were pretty tough, slick, full of roots and rocks, and fairly steep.

I did get to ride the pro/expert downhill and it