Blue Mountain Park Improvements 09-10

mbike-ski

I agree it would be more worthwhile to sell it, its just something I would personally like to see. And yeah 10-15ft QPs definitely would get destroyed, but out in Park City they had a QP that was like 20-25ft high and it was intimidating as all hell but after working up to it, it was a shit load of fun and it didnt really get beat up cause only kids who were capable hit it. Obviously its not wise to make that much snow for one feature in the East though. A QP next to the airbag would be nasty to, to learn shit but without the pipe thats kinda pointless now too. Either way, for some of us the pipe will be missed, but hopefully the new park will be as legit as it sounds.

Can't really compare durability of features to parks out west. The quality of their snow and the fact that they have a ton fewer gapers leads to parks just holding up way better. Part of the reason it is so impossibly to fill in bomb holes at parks around his is that you're basically working with snow that is sand-like in consistency and simply will not pack in. Correctly fixing a bomb hole with snow around here in a way such that it will last for a least a couple hours requires closing the feature, finding newer snow from the side of the run, using salt/water to help pack the snow, putting salt all over the repair, then letting it sit for ext'ed period of time. If you're on the park crew night shift? Forget about it. That bomb hole is there til you can get a groomer on it.

There aren't fewer gapers but there is more room to spread them out. Making features look scary seems to keep them nice as well.

I've never skied in Colorado, but I would imagine there are more gapers there as compared to Utah, Montana, or Washington State.

I've never skied in Colorado, but I would imagine there are more gapers there as compared to Utah, Montana, or Washington State.

The one thing I noticed about riding out here and gapers is that the more extreme terrain parks either are hard to get to or require a pass. Keeps the gapers in the beginner parks or out of the parks all together.

• Like 1

The one thing I noticed about riding out here and gapers is that the more extreme terrain parks either are hard to get to or require a pass. Keeps the gapers in the beginner parks or out of the parks all together.

thats true. heck, even some of the bigger parks out there scare me and i love to ride park.

Yeah I know what your saying, but my point is was what was said a few posts ago, that the more intimidating the feature, the less people that will try it but yeah the snow here is terrible to work with. Haha and I know what you mean about how intimidating the parks are out there(Toast). Took me 3 days till I would hit any of the lasts jumps in the big park at PC. The lips are like 15ft wide and 20ft tall. Its scary just riding up them to scope it but once you hit them its amazing. Hate to case one of those and break a jaw again :banghead .

Edited by Rodeo Steve

Hard for me to believe there are more gapers at Mountain Creek than there are at Blue, it is like stepping into a time warp when you get on the hill in Palmerton.

Blue has more "apparel" gapers...aka Eagles Jackets and jeans.

MC has more "free-for-all" gapers.

and if they somehow manage to scrounge up a rope tow to put in there, it would make for what could be the best rail park around. think the plaza at boulder without having to hike. that would be awesome.

Like I said about putting a lift next to the pipe, there's the rope tow that's on 'lower paradise' which they used to use before they moved the snowboard school over with the valley school. It's just sitting there not being used, why not move it over and get some use out of it? Put it between the new park and terrain run... it'll be great for training and high reps to session the rail park and the little kickers at the top of terrain run.

• Like 4

yeah it would. Blue needs to listen up here.... we know they lurk.

I don't know how many of you have a facebook account but blue has a page called Blue Mountain Ski Area, found at the following link:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Palmerton-PA/Blue-Mountain-Ski-Area/92181707870?ref=mf

They seem to be posting comments for users to leave feedback on ways of improving the mountain. I'm not sure who moderates it but they seem to be somebody in contact with the marketing department, see the following quote from that page:

Blue Mountain Ski Area:

"Thank you so much to everyone who commented and gave us input, I will be presenting many of these ideas to our marketing director."

I'm just saying that I have seen many good ideas presented on this site, and I am sure some of the Blue Mountain Personnel does lurk on this site as well but it wouldn't hurt to voice your opinion on their facebook group as well

• Like 1

this might have already been covered at some point, but has anyone ever thought about putting the park on a straight trail?

Yes. I'll personally be standing out in front of the Summit Lodge screaming and crying until I see them deforest the entire mountain face, completely regrade it, and make the whole area into a single, mile wide, straight park. Until then, Blue is being a bunch of assholes, and anybody who thinks different is a douche.

• Like 4

this might have already been covered at some point, but has anyone ever thought about putting the park on a straight trail?

(I'm sorry, I'm bored and couldn't help myself)

Yes. I'll personally be standing out in front of the Summit Lodge screaming and crying until I see them deforest the entire mountain face, completely regrade it, and make the whole area into a single, mile wide, straight park. Until then, Blue is being a bunch of assholes, and anybody who thinks different is a douche.

It's one thing to mock him when he could retaliate, but he's been since banned, so no more. :unsure:

You don't think people from NJ go to blue?

I don't know, from my area at home no one goes to Blue. I never heard of Blue at all (Or Sno/Montage) before coming on PASR and I skied Camelback/Shawnee/JFBB for a dozen years before joining PASR. Seriously. Not even a mention. It feels weird to drive SOUTH to go skiing and it is really far. Not only my family/school was that way, when I worked at a ski shop and told people about Blue it was like 1 in 10 or worse that had ever heard of it. It was pretty much Mountain Creek or Camelback from our area and the debate was about that. Mountain Creek is 20-30 minutes away and Camelback is about an hour. JFBB is about an hour and 15 and Blue is about the same. Belleayre is really only about a half hour longer in each direction than Blue is from my house so at that point you start debating going to the Catskills over PA.

And Blue doesn't advertise in New York. When you are coming out of NYC on Route 80 west there is a big Camelback billboard around Lodi, but there are absolutely no Blue ones. Camelback, Mountain Creek and Shawnee have radio ads on NYC stations but Blue doesn't. Camelback, Mountain Creek and Shawnee have TV ads and Blue doesn't. Camelback, Shawnee, JFBB, and Mountain Creek all discount lift tickets in the local shops but Blue doesn't. If it was not for PASR I would never have known or gone to Bluem at least until I went to college because our snowboarding club has lots of PA members and know about it.

Now that I'm at University of Delaware though, Blue is the closest "big" mountain so I go a lot more often. I also like it because I've been to the other places so many more times. I've even gone from home a half dozen times just for a change of pace. I guess a lot of southern NJ people go to Blue but from Northeaster NJ definitely very few and that is where the bulk of the people in NJ live.

And I really don't think anyone from PA goes to Mountain Creek. You don't see that many plates. Why would you? To get there you have to pass pretty much every Pocono mountain and you get less snow and warmer temperatures. Back when the park was so much better I guess people did but now the park is way worse than in PA and the management is a disaster. I drive twice as far and pay a lot more money in gas and season pass/lift tickets to go to PA over Mountain Creek, I really don't believe anyone is doing the opposite.

I agree with you on the people at Mountain Creek being total assholes and it is the NJ/NYC crowd that does it just like at Hunter, but when I say "gaper" I mean basically people who dress like its the 80s or totally suck at skiing/riding and are trying to do stuff they obviously can't.

Mountain Creek killed the gaper problem in the park through passes and the features being ridiculously large, with a long history of it being that. If you suck at park Mountain Creek was not the place to learn. I have a pile of pictures from 2002-2006 when I rode there a lot and Blue still hasn't caught up to that in terms of size & quality of the features, even JFBB and Bear really haven't. Of course Mountain Creek has regressed a lot since then. But back when they were prime and hosting the Grand Prix and the Jiblab was around with its original members the parks were sick and if you went in when you sucked people told you to get the f out of there, and when that didn't work they were the first around to bring in park passes. There was simply NOT a gaper problem AT ALL in the parks. Go out on Horizon and sure there are bus loads of 13 year olds falling over themselves, but in the park it wasn't an issue. Both Blue & JFBB still have a massive gaper in the park problem.

In terms of apparel gapers, I don't care that much but thats what the Meathead film is getting at and it definitely happens more at Blue than at MC just based on the local client

• Like 1

yeah it would. Blue needs to listen up here.... we know they lurk.

You guys want anything else? You got tons of parks and a now a fucking airbag. I'm glad the pipe is dead because it never got used anyway. Don't be alarmed if you see only a few features in the old lower park. Otherwise you would have 3 out of 4 bottom trails with park stuff on them. Too much. People need to get to the lifts. Homestretch is already overcrowded. The airbag isn't going to help the traffic problems.

Edited by First Grade Teacher

You guys want anything else? You got tons of parks and a now a fucking airbag. I'm glad the pipe is dead because it never got used anyway. Don't be alarmed if you see only a few features in the old lower park. Otherwise you would have 3 out of 4 bottom trails with park stuff on them. Too much. People need to get to the lifts. Homestretch is already overcrowded. The airbag isn't going to help the traffic problems.

the airbag is stupid and should only be used to catch the idiots who fall off the lift and make it stop. on second thought, let them get hurt and let the lift keep going.