Blue Mountain Park Improvements 09-10

mbike-ski

Here ya go, if you really need to make your daily windy/sucky comments as well as any legitimate park improvement suggestions you might have - do it here so you don't comntinue to pollute every other thread on this board. unless you really are doing it to flame and call attention to yourself... :devil:

Edited by mbike-ski
  • Like 4

Should I start an "I deep throat Blue" thread for Mbike and Toast?

The bottom line is this:

If you love park, and actually have ridden a GREAT park (or even BB and CB), you would be honest with yourselves about Blue's shortcomings.

The Blue Leg Humpers are obviously NOT honest with themselves, or with this board.

The questions is, why aren't they?

I WANT BLUE TO IMPROVE.

But, I will be honest about my opinion of ALL the mountains I ride.

If you can't handle an unbiased opinion, that's YOUR problem. :yes

• Like 1

Should I start an "I deep throat Blue" thread for Mbike and Toast?

The bottom line is this:

If you love park, and actually have ridden a GREAT park (or even BB and CB), you would be honest with yourselves about Blue's shortcomings.

The Blue Leg Humpers are obviously NOT honest with themselves, or with this board.

The questions is, why aren't they?

I WANT BLUE TO IMPROVE.

But, I will be honest about my opinion of ALL the mountains I ride.

If you can't handle an unbiased opinion, that's YOUR problem. :yes

we've all heard your "bottom line" before. What do you want to hear? Of course the park would be better on a straight run. They don't have one to dedicate to a park. They're probably not going to put one in any time soon. What are you trying to accomplish by repeating the same thing over and over?

if you're going to call anyone, don't use an iphone. all the experts agree they suck and StarTACs are better.

hey man the startac was a great phone. Mine survived many full submergences before if finally bit the dust back in '04

• Like 1

Blue started smashing the pipe. I took a ride up there on Saturday. Get rid of that fucking thing! Didn't mean to change the vibe but this really is an improvement.

you know they're putting a bunch of rails in where the pipe is, right? a bunch of the new stuff they're building will be going down there.

you know they're putting a bunch of rails in where the pipe is, right? a bunch of the new stuff they're building will be going down there.

I think it is a great improvement, the little park at the bottom was often clogged up at the entrance with lots of beginners standing around waiting to drop since it was the only park that everything funneled into. I'm assuming the old area will still be park and the pipe will be as well?

Not a fan of losing the pipe. I just think they didn't put anything into the pipe, which is why it was never utilized. Now they take out the pipe for a rail park, and 5 years from now they'll find a demand for a pipe, and end up rebuilding what they just leveled.

but maybe that's a good thing? maybe when it's rebuilt, it'll be the proper shape?

demand

I can't speak for 5 years from now so you may be right about that, but you're up at Blue enough to know how many people used the pipe on a regular basis over the past couple seasons. Doug is right in that it was often one of the better spots to get the last of whatever fresh snow fell. Relative to other trails, the pipe was unused. Overall, this setup just makes way more sense. Its cheaper to operate correctly and will no doubt get more traffic than the pipe (thus taking some off of other runs).

I can't speak for 5 years from now so you may be right about that, but you're up at Blue enough to know how many people used the pipe on a regular basis over the past couple seasons. Doug is right in that it was often one of the better spots to get the last of whatever fresh snow fell. Relative to other trails, the pipe was unused. Overall, this setup just makes way more sense. Its cheaper to operate correctly and will no doubt get more traffic than the pipe (thus taking some off of other runs).

and if they somehow manage to scrounge up a rope tow to put in there, it would make for what could be the best rail park around. think the plaza at boulder without having to hike. that would be awesome.

That pipe wasn't on a steep enough trail anyways. If they manage to work up the demand they should build a new trail, or find another location for it all together. Of course we've been through this tons already, but they will actually need a decent steep straight shot for a pipe worth grooming.

• Like 1

i'll miss the pipe for those 2 weeks every year when its nice but this really is a much better use of the trail. its cool that you'll be able to check out the action from the lift too - better than looking at an empty pipe with an idle cutter sitting at the top :blink: its nice and straight too :devil:

Probably out of the question, but where the pipe is would be a nice run in for a jump or even a quarter pipe at the bottom. Have like a little run in on the side of everything, especially with a tow rope that would be nice. It could be like a video hill big air like at Mount Snow. If youve ever bombed the sides you get some decent speed. Just an idea, doubt it will actually happen, but a legit quarter pipe in the east would be nice to see too. They have this half pipe cutter now with nothing to do with it unless they sold it already.

• Like 1

Probably out of the question, but where the pipe is would be a nice run in for a jump or even a quarter pipe at the bottom. Have like a little run in on the side of everything, especially with a tow rope that would be nice. It could be like a video hill big air like at Mount Snow. If youve ever bombed the sides you get some decent speed. Just an idea, doubt it will actually happen, but a legit quarter pipe in the east would be nice to see too. They have this half pipe cutter now with nothing to do with it unless they sold it already.

it would probably be more worthwhile for them to sell the pipe cutter instead of keeping it just to make a QP at the bottom. that trail will see gaper traffic, and i think quarterpipes get beat up more than any other feature by gapers. it'd be the same problem all over again, in that they'd have to be cutting the thing almost daily to keep it nice. it would be nice if they could use the pipe cutter to put transition under the wallrides, but i dont think either of them are high enough to make that an option.

• Like 1

It reminds me entirely of when Mountain Creek put in their Sugar Park, it was by far the most used section of the park. There is just a massive demand for easy features and if there is a dedicated lift that people can lap the same 9 rails over and over it will be packed.

So Bear Creek, Roundtop, Mountain Creek gave up on their pipes, and JFBB never had one, so this leaves Camelback as the only serious pipe around the area. (although what is Sno's plan for a pipe this winter?).

The Catskills mountains have OK pipes but it seems like if you are south of Mount Snow/Stratton there won't be a nice super pipe for you on the east coast unless you travel to Vermont. This is a very sad development, riding the superpipe at Mountain Creek was my favorite thing to do for the 3-4 years they had it and I had a season pass there. I'm not even good at pipe and it was so much more fun than anything else. It just takes a different style of riding than most park riders have now.

And Justo's right, QP's get beat up so bad, the only thing worse is a QP with a wallride on top because you get a nice under lip on the bottom of the wall that wrecks people. Absolutely no way to fix them without a cat either.

Edited by Kevin.

The demand to ride pipe is just going down nowadays. It's hard to do, hard to build, and hard to maintain. Even at Breck the pipe is usually dead compared to park lane, and they have one of the best pipes in the US. Blue's pipe was sweet though on the right days, but I think it's a good move to get rid of it. 95% of the days it was open it was beat to shit, from what I can remember two seasons ago when I had my pass there.

Also, I hope they grade that slope a little steeper than lower terrain. I know it's just a rail park but on slow snow days you can't even hit all the rails on lower terrain due to a serious lack of speed.

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1

it would probably be more worthwhile for them to sell the pipe cutter instead of keeping it just to make a QP at the bottom. that trail will see gaper traffic, and i think quarterpipes get beat up more than any other feature by gapers. it'd be the same problem all over again, in that they'd have to be cutting the thing almost daily to keep it nice. it would be nice if they could use the pipe cutter to put transition under the wallrides, but i dont think either of them are high enough to make that an option.

I agree it would be more worthwhile to sell it, its just something I would personally like to see. And yeah 10-15ft QPs definitely would get destroyed, but out in Park City they had a QP that was like 20-25ft high and it was intimidating as all hell but after working up to it, it was a shit load of fun and it didnt really get beat up cause only kids who were capable hit it. Obviously its not wise to make that much snow for one feature in the East though. A QP next to the airbag would be nasty to, to learn shit but without the pipe thats kinda pointless now too. Either way, for some of us the pipe will be missed, but hopefully the new park will be as legit as it sounds.