You've got to get here

Schif

I just got back from elk for my first trip there this season. I can only say AMAZING!! Everything was open, the woods were full of tons of snow and it was awesome. You name it, it was there today, fresh pow, crazy tree runs, cliffs, gaps over frozen streams and tons of ungroomed trails. Everyone has to get to Elk by the end of the season, preferably before this fresh snow melts. :D

• 6 months later...
Are the roads to Elk bad in the winter?

35265[/snapback]

The roads to Elk aren't hilly at all; no steep grades. It's that they are narrow country roads that run along wide open farms and fields and there isn't much snow fencing. The snow just drifts constantly, if it's windy.

The roads to Elk aren't hilly at all; no steep grades. It's that they are narrow country roads that run along wide open farms and fields and there isn't much snow fencing. The snow just drifts constantly, if it's windy.

35281[/snapback]

Coming from 81, one of the country roads is almost a 90 degree turn, the road was fine, until I hit that turn, and spun the BMW around trying to to avoid going into the field, cause of the blown snow on the road. That's the only thing to watch out for, especially how cold it can get up there, the snow is very light, and will blow like crazy.

Roads, bad? In PA?  only if you are driving a beamer!  :)

35317[/snapback]

Rob Rob Rob, skidude's dad has a BEAMER, I have a Bimmer :P

We failed to have a PASR day at Elk this year, to support skiddue. Even with gas prices to get up there, we definatly need to have one th :rock ere this year. It's such a great place... :rock

The roads to anywhere can be bad, after it snows.  Take your time and you can get anywhere.  If you're a die hard, you'll learn to appreciate the bad roads, because it only means that great "conditions" are what you will end up at  :rock .

35327[/snapback]

Not to mention less crowds. Once the roads clear everyone and there grandma is trying to enjoy the freshly fallen snow. Take advantage of the powder while you can by braving the weather. Live fast die young I suppose.

Coming from 81, one of the country roads is almost a 90 degree turn, the road was fine, until I hit that turn, and spun the BMW around trying to to avoid going into the field, cause of the blown snow on the road.  That's the only thing to watch out for, especially how cold it can get up there, the snow is very light, and will blow like crazy.

35289[/snapback]

Yea, watch that turn. If you haven't been to Elk before, it is right after you end a long gradual descent, and see open fields. There is a big yellow sign with a right arrow on it. I've seen people take that one wide and almost take out traffic in the other lane.