TTC6 & GSS Have Secret Love Child TR

Johnny Law

Seriously though why would you even want to see that

Place: UT

dsc01124.jpg

Dates: Christmas to New Years

Photographer: Probably accurately describes my skills

fisherpricecamera.jpg

Music: That Palm Pixi commercial reminded me of these guys, I still can't decide if I hate it or love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zherMkcXdo

Time to get to work

img00162h.jpg

The first few days nothing much fell from the sky so I've skipped those pictures, we jumped off some rocks and ate some food but that really isn't all that interesting. After thinking it may never snow the Great Salt Lake kicked in and dumped 18"+ of diamond dust.

The weather was actually kind of weird for hours it would be puking so hard your tracks would fill almost immediately and then suddenly a hole would make things pretty blue bird.

dsc01235kr.jpg

dsc01245x.jpg

dsc01225j.jpg

dsc01226a.jpg

Then to a special little tucked away canyon were things get seriously deep

dsc01241n.jpg

dsc01217e.jpg

dsc01229p.jpg

Hope you had fun, see ya in the trees man....

P.S. If you ski and like deep snow buy reverse/reverse now, greatest thing that every happened to pow.

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 1

Nice report...what areas did you ski at??? Did you do alot of hiking or just a run or two?

Alta, Sundance, PowMow, Solli, Brighton

Not alot of hiking, mostly traversing, one of the best little areas in BCC is a ten minute traverse from the lift. Super simple slack country.

leaving for utah in a little over two weeks now... i'm hoping we get something like that while out there. rode my new obsetheds for the first time at blue over the weekend, and they're fun on groomers, but i can't wait to try em out in some real snow. what were you skiing on for most of that trip? ARGs or spatulas?

leaving for utah in a little over two weeks now... i'm hoping we get something like that while out there. rode my new obsetheds for the first time at blue over the weekend, and they're fun on groomers, but i can't wait to try em out in some real snow. what were you skiing on for most of that trip? ARGs or spatulas?

ARG's

You'll love the obsetheds in the deep, float is unreal, you can almost rip it locked legged. So quick too, you can change direction on a dime without even thinking and really slash turns. Honest to god its the way you always dreamed of skiing powder, just incredible amounts of fun.

I did feel like I had a hard time controlling them on groomers but I figured that would be the case, they certainly aren't every day skis.

ARG's

You'll love the obsetheds in the deep, float is unreal, you can almost rip it locked legged. So quick too, you can change direction on a dime without even thinking and really slash turns. Honest to god its the way you always dreamed of skiing powder, just incredible amounts of fun.

I did feel like I had a hard time controlling them on groomers but I figured that would be the case, they certainly aren't every day skis.

ya i was thinking of picking up hellbents, cause i have a pair of seths from like 3 years ago, but i figured grip up the new seths, sell the old ones, and the new ones will still be perfectly fine and awesome in deep snow, cause i never had float issues with the old ones anyway. hellbents would have been something that i'd only be able to use maybe 5 days a year, but the obsethed will come out to play at blue weekly. my god they throw up so much snow off the tails hahaha

One of my faves is off the Millicent chair at Brighton.

Towards Lake Mary or the reservoir and solly ?

The stuff that sits skiers right off milly, sort of inbetween the resort is cliffy and fun though short.

To be honest I'm not totally on top of the stuff off the back of milly, I've skied out there a few times but only know it as back bowls. Its definitely good skiing though twin lakes kind of freaks me out. I have a weird thing with large bodies of water and winter.

Most of the pictures above are from Hidden canyon which is off Clayton.

General disclaimer: hidden canyon is not part of the Brighton resort and parts of it are avy prone and would roll pretty big.

Edited by Johnny Law

Towards Lake Mary or the reservoir and solly ?

The stuff that sits skiers right off milly, sort of inbetween the resort is cliffy and fun though short.

Yes yes and yes. The cliffy stuff is a great photo-op spot if you're just trying to get some good air photos from your trip. Pretty much something anyone can drop there and take pretty big if they want. Stuff that is over towards Solitude is a blast with consistent nice pitch decent runs but sometimes a bitch of a walk out.

Alta, Sundance, PowMow, Solli, Brighton

Not alot of hiking, mostly traversing, one of the best little areas in BCC is a ten minute traverse from the lift. Super simple slack country.

how is powder mountain? heading out to utah in march and will be spending a few days there i think..

Yes yes and yes. The cliffy stuff is a great photo-op spot if you're just trying to get some good air photos from your trip. Pretty much something anyone can drop there and take pretty big if they want. Stuff that is over towards Solitude is a blast with consistent nice pitch decent runs but sometimes a bitch of a walk out.

Thanks for the info on the solly stuff, I'll have to head out that way more often. For some reason I just overlooked it.

how is powder mountain? heading out to utah in march and will be spending a few days there i think..

Powder Mtn is great if you know what your getting into.

One, they don't blow ever which sounds funny for UT but heavy traffic areas/Paradise lift area can get pretty boney.

Two, fancy lodges and lunches are no where to be found. Its all about the skiing, hot dogs and hamburgers are pretty much all they offer and the road up there can really be a day wrecker. If it nukes while your there its going to be a bitch no doubt.

Three, the mtn itself is large but primary flat. Personally I like a fun day of advanced meadow skipping but spend more than two days there and your going to be bored. Powder Country and Lightning Ridge are really the only areas with sustained vert.

Lastly there isn't shit in terms of night life in Eden, Ut. There's stuff in Ogden and all that but even by UT standards eating/drinking is pretty limited.

The positives are that they see far less traffic than the big boys LCC/BCC and they don't attract the same kind of clientele. If it snows and you aren't a complete jong you'll get to ride some good lines with lots of deep and you won't be in a mad dash to do it. If you end up hitting PowMow let me know and I'll pm you some info on were the lines are.

Check out Sundance too if you have time, steep upper mtn, low crowds and nice lodges/food if your in to that kind of thing. But be advised as to what you are getting PowMow/Sundance aren't BCC/LCC resorts.

Thanks for the info on the solly stuff, I'll have to head out that way more often. For some reason I just overlooked it.

Powder Mtn is great if you know what your getting into.

One, they don't blow ever which sounds funny for UT but heavy traffic areas/Paradise lift area can get pretty boney.

Two, fancy lodges and lunches are no where to be found. Its all about the skiing, hot dogs and hamburgers are pretty much all they offer and the road up there can really be a day wrecker. If it nukes while your there its going to be a bitch no doubt.

Three, the mtn itself is large but primary flat. Personally I like a fun day of advanced meadow skipping but spend more than two days there and your going to be bored. Powder Country and Lightning Ridge are really the only areas with sustained vert.

Lastly there isn't shit in terms of night life in Eden, Ut. There's stuff in Ogden and all that but even by UT standards eating/drinking is pretty limited.

The positives are that they see far less traffic than the big boys LCC/BCC and they don't attract the same kind of clientele. If it snows and you aren't a complete jong you'll get to ride some good lines with lots of deep and you won't be in a mad dash to do it. If you end up hitting PowMow let me know and I'll pm you some info on were the lines are.

Check out Sundance too if you have time, steep upper mtn, low crowds and nice lodges/food if your in to that kind of thing. But be advised as to what you are getting PowMow/Sundance aren't BCC/LCC resorts.

pretty much summed up PowMo perfectly. it's not the steepest, its not the tallest, it doesnt have the most terrain, but if you like wide open trees and small cliffs with fresh tracks for days after a storm, its the place to go. cat skiing for the extra 10-15 on top of the regular lift ticket is absolutely worth it. you can get to the same terrain by hiking, but it'll take you way longer, and the cat is a cool experience in and of itself.

I know what you meant, but technically speaking, you're wrong.

"Over 7000 acres covering three mountains adds up to the most skiable terrain in the US."

ok, so i guess technically they have the most terrain, but there's a lot of spots there that you'd be walking out of that are considered inbounds. that and everything in powder country or whatever they call it, you have to wait for the shuttle to come pick you up since it doesn't drain back into a lift. having skied there, and a few other places in utah, and i think you'd agree, canyons 'feels' like a much bigger ski area, as does snowbird or alta.

On the top of skis...I love my Gotamas :)

They are a great ski for sure but there isn't anything there that hasn't been made a 1,000 times before. Rev/rev though is pretty damn new and for powder skiing is a great leap forward.

ok, so i guess technically they have the most terrain, but there's a lot of spots there that you'd be walking out of that are considered inbounds. that and everything in powder country or whatever they call it, you have to wait for the shuttle to come pick you up since it doesn't drain back into a lift. having skied there, and a few other places in utah, and i think you'd agree, canyons 'feels' like a much bigger ski area, as does snowbird or alta.

x2

Cobabe canyon may be on the map but there is little reason to ever go over there and getting in and out is terrible. That's got to be 1/4 of the acreage at least.

When exactly you going to be out there again? Glenn and I are thinking we may make the trip out to ride with you guys, as well as DH and another buddy. Sorry to thread jack.