2010/2011 New HSQ Coming to Shawnee

RootDKJ

I just got this via email.

http://www.shawneemt...ampaign=ongoing

As part of a major lift system overhaul, Ski Shawnee Inc., owner and operator of Shawnee Mountain, is pleased to announce the purchase of a new high speed detachable quad chairlift for the popular Pocono Ski Resort. Manufactured in Salt Lake City, Utah, by Doppelmayr CTEC USA, the new high speed quad will be installed this summer along the Tomahawk Trail and replace Shawnee's existing fixed grip quad lift in the same location. The fixed grip quad will then be moved to the Arrowhead Trail and replace Shawnee's oldest lift

This is great for shawnee.... I like it there it's got a different vibe to it.

As far as JF getting a high speed lift... honestly, I don't think East mtn would be the place they would put one.

The busiest lift is always the one at the bottom of the park. I would think that if they were going to add one this is where it would be first. I almost never use that lift personally as almost all my time is spent off the east mtn lift, but the majority of their patrons are using the lifts that are NOT on east mtn. The east mtn lifts are probably the least busy on the entire mountain and rarely do you need to wait more than 3-4 chairs. (aside from WMMR days, Holiday weeks/ends)

So while I'd LOVE to see it happen, the likelyhood is not really there.

Elk however could seriously use a High speed lift to replace their quad, and that lift does see the traffic to warrant it.

Quote from Shawnee e-mail release:

"The new Tomahawk Express Quad will transport 2,400 skiers/riders per hour."

Hate to say this, but that works out to one chair unloading/loading every six seconds.

Same capacity as a fixed grip quad, set up to load at six second intervals, which is common.

2400ppl ./. 60mins = 40ppl/min ./. 4ppl/chair = 10 unloadings/min = one every 6 secs.

Just Saying......

Quote from Shawnee e-mail release:

"The new Tomahawk Express Quad will transport 2,400 skiers/riders per hour."

Hate to say this, but that works out to one chair unloading/loading every six seconds.

Same capacity as a fixed grip quad, set up to load at six second intervals, which is common.

2400ppl ./. 60mins = 40ppl/min ./. 4ppl/chair = 10 unloadings/min = one every 6 secs.

Just Saying......

But how many times will that fixed grip chair stop in a hour at that rate?There is also the psychological factor for getting up the mountain in three minutes for skiers also.

I have put some thought too into adding a HSQ at Jack Frost.IMHO,the best way to do it would be to add a artificial mountain for the top terminal,somewhere around where the upper parking lot next to the slopes/ski school is located.Just like how they built the artificial tubing hill at Eagle Rock.This would allow you to access the terrain that A,B-C,and D lifts service.So midweek week you would could just run E/F,HSQ,and East Mountain lifts.Then on the weekend,just add lifts as needed.

If you also totally remove B and C lifts,these could be relocated over to service and expand the beginner area,which JF desperately needs IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

But how many times will that fixed grip chair stop in a hour at that rate?There is also the psychological factor for getting up the mountain in three minutes for skiers also.

I have put some thought too into adding a HSQ at Jack Frost.IMHO,the best way to do it would be to add a artificial mountain for the top terminal,somewhere around where the upper parking lot next to the slopes/ski school is located.Just like how they built the artificial tubing hill at Eagle Rock.This would allow you to access the terrain that A,B-C,and D lifts service.So midweek week you would could just run E/F,HSQ,and East Mountain lifts.Then on the weekend,just add lifts as needed.

If you also totally remove B and C lifts,these could be relocated over to service and expand the beginner area,which JF desperately needs IMO.

Wow. Just, wow. Those are some pretty terrible ideas.

• Like 1

This thread is about Shawnee's HSQ. Focus.

True true.

Like fluffy got at,it's easy to spend money when it's not your own. It will be interesting to see how the addition of a HSQ affects Shawnee's business, as it is a similar size and layout to JF. I think if anything, it will take away more customers from CBK than anywhere else.

I'd say see how they do after five years or so. I'm certainly taking a trip out there next season to check it all out. I do know Blue and CBK definitely got busier over the years after they added their respective high-speed lifts.

LOL. No hatchet burying needed. Those are terrible ideas b/c.....wait for it.....$$$$$$$. Do you have any idea what that would cost? Compare that to the benefit. Do you really think that such a huge restructuring of the lifts at JF would increase the skier visits/revenue enough to justify such enormous projects? Putting a high speed lift on a small mountain is almost always a pointless idea. I've never been to Shawnee so I don't want to form too many conclusions on their decision; however, I find it hard to believe that putting a HSQ on a mountain with 600 ft of vertical is in any way a good idea.

I don't know the dollar figures, but aren't the newer HSQ more effecient than the older lifts? I could see waiting until a lift gets to the point of needing replacement to put one in, though, on a place the size of JF. I still think that East Mt. would be the place, since it could service Exhibition on eastward. It would also eliminate the need for running the old quad during the week, but on the down side would take away jobs from people. Another negative would be clustering east mt. with people who shouldn't be there.

I don't know the dollar figures, but aren't the newer HSQ more effecient than the older lifts? I could see waiting until a lift gets to the point of needing replacement to put one in, though, on a place the size of JF. I still think that East Mt. would be the place, since it could service Exhibition on eastward. It would also eliminate the need for running the old quad during the week, but on the down side would take away jobs from people. Another negative would be clustering east mt. with people who shouldn't be there.

Wait...you want to put a HSQ on East Mtn. and expect the people trying to ski Exhibition to ski down Sno Chute and across the top to hit Exhibition?

Wait...you want to put a HSQ on East Mtn. and expect the people trying to ski Exhibition to ski down Sno Chute and across the top to hit Exhibition?

Triple chairs would still take care of that. I should have clarified it better. I was just pointing out how much area it could cover, when the snow is firm.

Edited by bigdaddyk