1/13/11

Johnny Style

Hi all, I'm back from a nice morning session at Blue. I expected cold temps and high winds but didn't really have to deal with them today. The drive through Cherryville by the carwash and school is a bit treacherous due to the winds blowing snow from the fields onto the road. The Sun is shining and the temps are crisp. The snow is oh so carve-able today. They had both the quad and the six pack running. Razors was the worst run of the day. I had to wait for them to finish grooming it and all they left were cookies and other assorted ice-things. Other than that, it's a great day out there. So if you are stuck at work reading this, come on out for a RAW session and you won't be disappointed.

Hi all, I'm back from a nice morning session at Blue. I expected cold temps and high winds but didn't really have to deal with them today. The drive through Cherryville by the carwash and school is a bit treacherous due to the winds blowing snow from the fields onto the road. The Sun is shining and the temps are crisp. The snow is oh so carve-able today. They had both the quad and the six pack running. Razors was the worst run of the day. I had to wait for them to finish grooming it and all they left were cookies and other assorted ice-things. Other than that, it's a great day out there. So if you are stuck at work reading this, come on out for a RAW session and you won't be disappointed.

nice...weekday morning sessions are the way to do it.

With the lack of twice daily grooming I haven't had any enthusiasm for RAW...

Yeah, what ever happened to the afternoon grooming? That used to be the prime reason to go up after work, fresh cord! :wiggle

I realize it's the cost of diesel to run the groomers, but they needn't do all the slopes, just the heavily traversed ones to mow down the push piles and cover up the hardpack/boilerplate.

Guess management has no love for their clientele. :banghead

I'll be up all day tomorrow for the Buckmans demo. So far I know that myself (Line skis) and K2 skis will be there. We'll see who else shows up but I'd assume most of the Buckman's brands will. Should be a nice day!

Ah, love my Lines! :rofl

With the lack of twice daily grooming I haven't had any enthusiasm for RAW...

Skiing is skiing and last time I checked, skiing the beat up crap after work still beats just about everything.

Season is short enough. Get those days in while you can.

• Like 1

Sounds good, I'm surprised you didn't wait till tonight to ski Nastar :-).

That is my normal Thursday plan, but with the change of the NASTAR course from Raceway/Widowmaker to Finish Line, I just don't feel like participating. I would rather give Bear Creek my money for their NASTAR course on Tuesday. There were lots of grumblings on Monday night among the race crowd about the new NASTAR course. I overheard a Blue race employee state that Blue's management thinks they will get one new participant for every old timer that leaves due to the course change. So far, they haven't.

That is my normal Thursday plan, but with the change of the NASTAR course from Raceway/Widowmaker to Finish Line, I just don't feel like participating. I would rather give Bear Creek my money for their NASTAR course on Tuesday. There were lots of grumblings on Monday night among the race crowd about the new NASTAR course. I overheard a Blue race employee state that Blue's management thinks they will get one new participant for every old timer that leaves due to the course change. So far, they haven't.

When was the last time they hung out at a Nastar night, 90% of Nastar is old dudes (myself included) young kids don't race unless your at Burke.

I understood why they moved it. Raceway is a semi-hidden trail with bad lighting that is on the side of the mountain where the beginners are. Of course only the diehards would find it. Having it under a major lift near their base area makes sense for attracting new customers. The one major flaw with that theory is putting it on a hill that has no pitch. When the tubing hill right next to your course has more pitch than the race course, you have problems.

When the tubing hill right next to your course has more pitch than the race course, you have problems.

:rofl yea it's ridicuously flat. camelback and greek peak are flat - but not that flat. bc has a little headwall into a looooooong flat, probably the same pitch - at least you can carry a little speed. when i was there last year the bc guys were complaining about the short stopping area at blue :blink: it can be al little sketchy on icy nights but i feel like a world cup racer slamming on the brakes at the end of my run :wiggle

Conditions were real good last night, I'm really glad I went. I was expecting the worst when I pulled into the lower lot and saw all the buses. While I was booting up, two ambulances pulled in...uh oh. Turns out the trails were pretty empty. Nightmare/Dreamweaver was the run of the day for me. Guy on the lift told me that once you got past the 1st headwall on Razors it was pretty nice, but I didn't try it. Legs were still pretty shot, so my last few runs were easy turning down Paradise...and no speed patrol which is always nice.