Boarding = More Injuries. Skiing = More Deaths

indiggio

you could probably read anything you want into those kind of statistics.

In the "helpful hints" section they gave three ways to avoid injuries they had just said were now "non existent"... and they forgot "don't ski into immovable obstacles at speed"

think about the ratio of skiiers to snowboarders (outside the park) and it makes sense that there are more skiing deaths. alot of snowboarders stay in the park all day where there risk of hitting a tree or falling off a cliff is drastically reduced.

Actually, relative to that article, I heard that the fact that the snowboard doesn't release slows the body down, whereas skis release, so there is nothing to cause drag before a body slams into a tree. In my own circumstances where a tree branch or rock ripped off my ski, the board would have stayed on, whereas the ski came off. I kept moving and slammed into a tree. The board would have perhaps caused the boarder to lose his balance and hit the trail and not have skidded into the tree I slammed into.

• Like 1

Boarders are probably more likely to be young knuckleheads....except for AngryHugo not many older people snowboard.

hurtful.

when I'm in the trees or whatever, I try to keep my weight back, so if I get too close to a tree, I can pretty much sit down/lie down and let the board take the impact. When the shit hits the fan, though, it's tough to control anything.

I'm with Kyle in that a lot of boarders stay in the parks, where skiers tend to look for more aggressive terrain.

A lot more skiers think they are the next bode, not in the drinking and substance abuse sense....

....or if they drink or smoke enough, they can ride like Bode. then again, a lot of boarders think if they smoke enough, they can ride like either of the Jeremy Joneses

Actually, relative to that article, I heard that the fact that the snowboard doesn't release slows the body down, whereas skis release, so there is nothing to cause drag before a body slams into a tree. In my own circumstances where a tree branch or rock ripped off my ski, the board would have stayed on, whereas the ski came off. I kept moving and slammed into a tree. The board would have perhaps caused the boarder to lose his balance and hit the trail and not have skidded into the tree I slammed into.

I had a tree stump rip a my right ski off and sent me flying at JH this year. Ripping down Grand Woods, and saw a nice line under a low tree...and sure enough, there used to be another tree right next to it. Thank god nothing was in front of me. Scared me a bit.

Boarders are probably more likely to be young knuckleheads....except for AngryHugo not many older people snowboard. Kind of a teenage thing.

I am 27... and my Boss is 43 he's been Snowboarding ever since it became a fad.

I'm sure as long as I dont jack myself up to the point of no return i'll be Boarding till i phsyically cant no more.

Edited by Nidecker

Falling is just about non existant for me unless I am in the park doing something I am not 100% comfortable with... IMO I could see myself dead in the park WAY before on trails.. Even back country. I cruise for style and carving not tuck blaze down Razors.

But if I do end up on my butt as I am sliding I will turn towards the Mountain and dig my Board in to the snow to stop and it works like a charm.

this is most likely skewed by the fact that a good percentage of people break their wrists when learning how to snowboard because of the way you fall when you catch an edge on a board. The best piece of advice in that article is for snowboarders to wear wrist guards...at least for people just learning.

FIMO I could see myself dead in the park WAY before on trails.. Even back country. I cruise for style and carving not tuck blaze down Razors.

this statement leads me to believe you've never actually hiked for your turns before. i was out in washington last week, and our first day at steven's pass, within about 5 turns off the chairlift, we triggered three slides. this was patrolled inbounds terrain. had we been hiking out of bounds, things could have gotten ugly really, really quickly.

backcountry carving..I fucking love it..

almost as good as HighwayStar on AlpineZone talking about how some of Killingtons fabled terrain requires mandatory GS turns..

are you trying to say there is no place for gs turns in the backcountry, because if so, you are sorely mistaken sir.