February Jackson Hole Trip Report

AtomicSkier

Got the call last night that our 6am ABE-ORD flight was canceled. I knew seats were limited on the 7:40am flight, so I got us rebooked in about 30 seconds. It meant an hour and a half more of sleep, but it also meant an hour and a half shorter layover in O'hare. We boarded a few minutes late in Allentown, and after a quick deice, we were in the air around 8:07am. With 2 hours flying time to ORD, our layover was tighter then ever. We touched down at 9:15am with our Jackson flight leaving at 9:57am, doors closed at 9:47am. I thought all was well, but then I saw us pull into the "penalty box" because our gate was open. We parked at the gate at 9:23am, and I had to wait for my gate checked bag to come out.

It was time for the dash to B8. GSS broke into a trot (scary), threading the needle much like he does on Lazy Mile. We made it (barely) to the plane, GSS said he had to get a bottle of water real quick (he was sweating). I boarded the plane, and as soon as I sat down in my seat, GSS called, saying they were calling my name at the podium for an upgrade. I had to swim upstream to get the new boarding pass, but it was worth it in the end :) When I returned to get my stuff, there was a really fat guy sitting in the middle seat next to me (in between GSS and I). Sadly, I wouldn't be joining GSS for the flight, I was up front in 5C. A nice 3 cheese omelette, home fries, turkey sausage, fresh croissant w/ strawberry jam, a banana, and some yogurt later, I was refreshed after a stressful morning of wondering if we'd make the flight. The only last possible thing that would screw up our day was if our bags made it onto the flight with us.

We landed at Jackson around 11:55am, and the wait began. 80% of people had gotten all their bags, and we were still without ours. Finally saw mine come out, what a relief. We quickly got all of them, and managed to beat a lot of people out of the airport who were still waiting for their skis. We were in our rooms by around 1:30pm. Stressful day, but lunch at Bubba's, and now a SNB Pale Ale in the room, and things are looking up. The sun was out when we landed, but now it's dumping in town. :wiggle

Snake River Brewery for dinner tonight. JADIP.

168095_594729106036_9507789_34688147_5419541_n.jpg

4" as of 6am...

t's snowing hard this morning, and it's the light, dry snow that around here we refer to as cowboy powder. Smooth and soft, it's the kind of powder that makes a shwooshing sound as you float through it. With the Northwesterly wind transporting more up over the ridge, and the continued storm, you can expect to see a few more inches fall before the lifts open. We've been waiting for this, and it looks like it's going to continue through the next few days, bringing another 12 to 18 inches before leaving our valley. See you on the slopes! -AC

nice, snow looks chunky and heavy. you guys getting the same "wetter then normal" snow we are getting at the moment?

It is wetter then normal for sure. The report said it was blower, but when we got to the mountain, they were throwing bombs like crazy. JH had some 31 degree sunny days, and the surface underneath got a little crusty, so the wetter snow was a welcomed edition to the base. Hopefully anything new is back to "Cowboy Powder".

AH is 211 miles outside of ORD...looking at an early arrival. His ORD-JAC flight is delayed around 45 minutes due to his inbound aircraft delayed in Denver. It looks like his plane is taxiing to the runway in DEN right now, so I figure his delay will be over an hour until he's en route. Good luck AH!

No pictures today as nothing was spectacular...tomorrow should yield some face shots and more dick deep pics. Fun day today. It was nice that the sun was out and we could see. The run of the day was Cirque, yielding soft boot deep turns from top to bottom with only or two scratchy spots. I even met the older brother of a guy I have played golf with at Saucon. Small world.

I got a kick out of the instructor from Blue Bell who had no clue there was a big storm rolling in and iz too core for Moran face.

AngryHugo sighting getting off the Alltrans shuttle...I just bought some more beer...oh yeah..happy BDAY Bob Marley.

Blue Bell? Wait, what?

It's a freaking Blizzard out there. I just walked to the bagel place and the wind is howling and the snow is blowing sideways. The new snow is pretty light ans drifting hardcore. Let's hope the winds die down in the next 2 hours and patrol can do their thing to get the resort open.

Pics man, pics! Make that iphone do a little work! tinfoil.gif