February Jackson Hole Trip Report

AtomicSkier

The Steamboat crew is skiing 3 days...I'm skiing 7 days. There's absolutly nothing I could be skiing from 2PM-4PM that will improve my trip. Skiing on tired legs is just dumb. Phillycore will ski bell to bell to get his moneys worth but that's not very bright. Nick when was the last time you rode 7 days in a row?

Wow I feel bad for Nicks future kids...nothing they do will satisfy them. I've already got like 2 hours of sleep. We had a nice dinner at the Cadillac grille. The seared sesame encrusted Ahi was bombass...as well as the bison brisket. Atomics Jeff Brownie sundae was decadent. What's nice about Jackson Hole is there's lots of rich people. Rich people inspire me to make more money. I wanna rock a fur trimmed Bogner one piece one day because I'm the best skier on the mountain.

I don't think I ever have skied 7days in a row, and I don't even plan to do it in Montana in 2 weeks. Still gonna bust your stones though for going on a ski trip and spending more time jabbering about your food consumption and flight delays then actually skiing though. Why? Because I know you'll always come back with some half assed rebuttal like the one about my future children. Maybe tomorrow we can see some pics of you pushing it a bit? Jeff looks to be getting at it. He seems to be hauling ass in all those shots. Maybe some steeps or playful terrain for hump day?

• Like 2

I'm jealous :( Here I sit in Brooklyn with no vacation time yet to enjoy life. I just keep telling myself it will be worth it when I get the bs out of the way and have the time available to indulge in such goodness. Only 10 days under my belt this season 3 days of class and a full time job with a long commute, sacrifice sucks.

Edited by DiMe

I bet Glenn hasn't even rode 5 days so far this season.

You can see my stats if you want. I don't bullshit there. I think I hide them from the lists, because it's for me not everyone else. I don't think I can hide them from searches on my stats. It's hilarious you get so worked up about these things. It's even more hilarious that Nick's posts get deleted when they are aimed one way and not another.

• Like 2

You can see my stats if you want. I don't bullshit there. I think I hide them from the lists, because it's for me not everyone else. I don't think I can hide them from searches on my stats. It's hilarious you get so worked up about these things. It's even more hilarious that Nick's posts get deleted when they are aimed one way and not another.

Looked them up. You've got 23 (save everyone looking). Doug's got 21, not counting JH, so had 4 to that, for a total of 25. Jeff's got 38.

Didn't know there were people with "private" stats going. I'll have to keep checking that.

i wish i could see them before they get deleted. bummer.

What the heck? I don't get this at all! By the way, uphill skinning is a tradition here. He should move. There was a huge local uproar here when they tried to end it. After meeting with local citizen groups, they now have official uphill routes. But, since this is National Forest land for the most part, there was felt to be some obligation to allow access, even if they were allowed to control HOW it was done.

Terry questioned whether deputies were correct when they told Fleck skiing uphill is a violation of state statute.

The statute says a skier cannot move uphill when impaired by alcohol or drugs or when the activity is done with reckless disregard for self or others.

Nothing in police reports indicates deputies suspected Fleck was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Dan Fleck said it would be inappropriate for him to comment on any individual charges his father might face.

However, he said skiing uphill is done at resorts around the world. The Mountain Resort even hosts competitions in which climbing is celebrated.

Roland Fleck was skiing uphill, or skinning, on a cat track, Dan Fleck said. Snow King Resort permits skiers to move uphill on a cat track, he said, and the activity is not considered unsafe.

The trespassing charge likely would apply to Fleck because resort regulations prohibit skiing uphill and the resort has a right to ask someone engaging in prohibited activities to leave, Terry said.

Jackson Hole Mountain Resort has a 40-year special-use permit to use U.S. Forest Service lands, Ray Spencer, Teton Division winter sports administrator for the Bridger-Teton National Forest, said.

Because the resort assumes liability for all activities inside the permit area, it has the authority to regulate what can and cannot be done there, he said.

Edited by sibhusky

In honor of Moe Ghoul I had a White Russian last night for dessert at the Cadillac Grille. I haz a feeling I might get a little sloppy tonight. I drank a third of a pitcher at the Mangy Moose...then a long island tea...then had a moose drool on the bus. In a few I'm gonna get some more beer and a little later on Happy Hour in Atomic Jeffs room followed by Mexican food.

My buddy Tom is coming down from Bozeman tomorrow afternoon and skiing with us Friday. Let's hope for some freshness. The Grand Tetons are currently socked in.

I see headspins and puking in your future. And a late start tomorrow.

• Like 1

What the heck? I don't get this at all! By the way, uphill skinning is a tradition here. He should move. There was a huge local uproar here when they tried to end it. After meeting with local citizen groups, they now have official uphill routes. But, since this is National Forest land for the most part, there was felt to be some obligation to allow access, even if they were allowed to control HOW it was done.

Every hill has a different policy. Bridger doesn't allow any uphill travel outside of the established boot packs and traverses. Winter Park allowed hiking and skinning with lots of upper mountains lifts that were subject to poaching. So few people did it, that I guess it wasn't an issue.

The National Forrest argument is incredibly weak and shows a real lack of understanding for how the agreements work.

Banding together as a community and asking the ski area to provide the services and opportunities that you want is clearly what saved the day.

The guy who got arrested seems to be in as much trouble for being uncooperative as anything else.

The downhill skiers has the right of way, not the skier going down the hill. This is true for stopped or traversing skiers, although they have additional responsibilities to make themselves seen and look uphill and yield when starting or merging. Uphill skiers move so slow, if you hit them, you would have hit a stopped skier in their position as well.