3/26: Camelback looks like Great Adventure...

setagehtta

by eleven it was mobbed. and people still coming in when i left at 11:30. Camelback was awesome for offering $25 lift tickets, especially since they were practically 100% open, and the conditions were awesome. i over heard from someone who worked there that it was like presidents day weekend crowded. glad they made thier buck....wouldnt it be nice if they opened next weekend?

Glad to hear it was packed. Hopefully it means demand for late season skiing is growing in the area, and more hills will follow camelbacks example and stay open longer, and discount tickets.

I never understood why resorts in the area do not try and advertise late season skiing. Midwinter on the radio they boast about their snowmaking, why not throw in "awesome snowmaking blah blah that allows us to stay open until april!." Then switch the adds in march to advertise spring discount tickets or something. $$$$ there.

• Like 1

Glad to hear it was packed. Hopefully it means demand for late season skiing is growing in the area, and more hills will follow camelbacks example and stay open longer, and discount tickets.

I never understood why resorts in the area do not try and advertise late season skiing. Midwinter on the radio they boast about their snowmaking, why not throw in "awesome snowmaking blah blah that allows us to stay open until april!." Then switch the adds in march to advertise spring discount tickets or something. $$ there.

i agree. advertise the mild temps and slopeside food and all that jazz to get people there too.

by eleven it was mobbed. and people still coming in when i left at 11:30. Camelback was awesome for offering $25 lift tickets, especially since they were practically 100% open, and the conditions were awesome. i over heard from someone who worked there that it was like presidents day weekend crowded. glad they made thier buck....wouldnt it be nice if they opened next weekend?

They were still coming in (skiis & boards on top of cars!) at 1:30 when we left. As C'back was closing at 4:00, how much skiing were those late arrivals going to get??

Also,(Yes, I know the "suspension of operations" this week was financially motivated.) by staying open thru this week in what would be near perfect winter conditions (Monday & Tuesday) would seem to illustrate a commitment to skiing far beyond the local resorts that had already closed. This would produce much better bragging rights!

I understand that C'back was letting those with season passes from other resorts ski for free (That's good PR!) and giving(?) them a Camelcard, but if they are closed for the rest of the week, how do they use the Camelcard??

Last, there's not much that I can think of that C'back can being doing this week to get the water park open due to the cold temps, so what's it gonna cost them to open up?

Last, there's not much that I can think of that C'back can being doing this week to get the water park open due to the cold temps, so what's it gonna cost them to open up?

As much as I like the thought pattern here I think its a lot more than you think to open up between groomers, lift attendants, ticket window, ski school, etc. Lots of employees that otherwise wouldn't be getting there hourly pay. Now if the crowds can sustain then hell I agree but who knows.

I understand that C'back was letting those with season passes from other resorts ski for free (That's good PR!) and giving(?) them a Camelcard, but if they are closed for the rest of the week, how do they use the Camelcard??

The Alien Pass concept started at the beginning of March. It has only been the past week that Camelback suspended operations. They had a couple weeks in which you could use the Camelcard, and you still can if they open back up next weekend. Not to mention, if it is your first weekend there using the season pass from another mountain, you got a free ticket, so there isn't much to complain about there either. I liked it better the first two years they started the "Alien Invasion" where you could use your SP as many times as you wanted for a free pass. Now it is only once and then a Camelcard, but if you really want to get out on the snow without a significant drive, the discounted price is probably worth it. It is pretty obvious that the free pass/camelcard idea works fairly well. I was at Elk on Saturday and several people came to the window while I attached my lift ticket using Blue Mountain SPs to get their $20 lift ticket. It would be awesome if they can afford to stay open next weekend, and from what I have read here, they definitely could. After President's Day it gets slower every week and they have probably hit most of their financial projections by that time. They get a little boost (evident this last weekend) when other resorts shut down and they become one of the few options around, but overall their goal goes from turning a profit to breaking even and getting their employees some more hours on the clock. It also allows them to boost their PR at the same time. They've been building that reputation the past couple years and it seems to be paying off.

As for the expense of running the mountain, I am sure it is pretty significant. However, it may not be as significant as we all believe. I saw the poster in Plattekill and found a link on their website. You can rent the mountain in season when they are not normally open (mon-thurs) for $2,500 with all facilities operating. How bout that?

Rent Plattekill for a Day

As for the expense of running the mountain, I am sure it is pretty significant. However, it may not be as significant as we all believe. I saw the poster in Plattekill and found a link on their website. You can rent the mountain in season when they are not normally open (mon-thurs) for $2,500 with all facilities operating. How bout that?

Rent Plattekill for a Day

PASR road trip/gathering???

does cb have a brew pub? or is it all barely creek or whatever?

they should do seasonal brews that come out at the end of the season and stay open. they got a dope deck/bar area.

plus patrol actually knows what theyre doing if youre too drunk to ski when you get to the top of cliffhanger and decide to go anyway then bottom out on compression when you hit the end of the first headwall.

good times.