2011-2012 season...

burton71

tom, i'm sure you're swamped getting things ready for tomorrow, but if you could drop some info as far as what's going to be set up, i'd be very pleased. KT and i may swing up tomorrow night to check it out.

Word on the street is a couple features on lower black bear, don't quote me on it though. Use the cams tomorrow mornin to see what's up.

Word on the street is a couple features on lower black bear, don't quote me on it though. Use the cams tomorrow mornin to see what's up.

shit id be happy with 4 flat rails at this point. idk how much snow they have but itd be cool to see a nice urban handrail setup. once again, snow permitting.

Did you used to run a resort or something, why so harsh on the internal workings of ski areas??? Or are you just the type of fella that gripes at dominoes while waiting for a pizza cause they're so disorganized???

Too funny

Cool thread none the less, was a;ways curious about BC's operation......Any chance of "more runs" "adding acreage" rumors?

Too funny

Cool thread none the less, was a;ways curious about BC's operation......Any chance of "more runs" "adding acreage" rumors?

Oh for sure, they'll be adding acres like crazy............sometime after christmas probably. Weather looks terrible til then, don't quote me on it though as I'm just shooting from the hip.

Yeah not looking good…at all for BC. I think spots like BC would benefit from layin some SnowFlex down as a base in the parks. This way they can still generate some movements during times like this when mother nature becomes inconsistent. Would also mean year round jibbing too. I think you can still stack a pretty solid base over snowflex once the temps are right. Just sayin…

Bummed. Every weather outlet said that last night was going to get down near freezing (33-34ish) and it never got close. We were counting on beaing able to spread the snow around more but those temps never came and the piles just kept melting.... We had to completely re-do all the work I did last night in about an hour and a half this morning on a completely different part of the mountain making the lips by hand.

House - It was either offer something today or nothing at all until after Christmas because that's what the forcast is looking like. Either way we're probably going to be starting from scratch with all this rain coming.

If you guys can make it up tonight we'll still be doing free lift tickets at long as people are still riding. After tonight and tomorrows rain.. it's not looking good at all so get it in while you can.

... I don't even think it was alive the last time we had weather this screwed up.

Edited by skeer_tomas

Bummed. Every weather outlet said that last night was going to get down near freezing (33-34ish) and it never got close. We were counting on beaing able to spread the snow around more but those temps never came and the piles just kept melting.... We had to completely re-do all the work I did last night in about an hour and a half this morning on a completely different part of the mountain making the lips by hand.

House - It was either offer something today or nothing at all until after Christmas because that's what the forcast is looking like. Either way we're probably going to be starting from scratch with all this rain coming.

If you guys can make it up tonight we'll still be doing free lift tickets at long as people are still riding. After tonight and tomorrows rain.. it's not looking good at all so get it in while you can.

... I don't even think it was alive the last time we had weather this screwed up.

thanks for the effort. no sarcasm at all. you guys are under the gun either way. people bitched (including me) about the snowmaking and then when bear takes a huge step out on a limb to get something open and the weather in turn fucks them over then they bitch about it. i think what bear tried to do was extremely customer oriented and was a real classy move. props to bear creek for trying to get something open to get people their fix. what comes around goes aroumd. hopefully the temps drop this weekend and bear can get down to business next week.

hopefully this means karma will strike and give us wonderful cold temps after Christmas.. untill then i wont be skiing much. maybe blue and boulder a bit. at least bear tried to dish out a lil something for the locals. may bring a shovel up sometime this week and hike up the mountain. but shh dont tell anyone.

thanks for the effort. no sarcasm at all. you guys are under the gun either way. people bitched (including me) about the snowmaking and then when bear takes a huge step out on a limb to get something open and the weather in turn fucks them over then they bitch about it. i think what bear tried to do was extremely customer oriented and was a real classy move. props to bear creek for trying to get something open to get people their fix. what comes around goes aroumd. hopefully the temps drop this weekend and bear can get down to business next week.

There is no doubt they needed to open asap, and no doubt their intentions were good. But the bottom line is they again F-ed up in taking a huge chance in trying to knock it out of the park by opening most of the trails at once. The season pass holder gets screwed again. I hit Elk Sunday and the three runs they had open were stellar and deep because they blew hard on them and didn't shoot for a big opening. Sorry, but with BC's smart guns and firepower, there could have been 2-3 trails with 2 feet on em. Nearing mid 50's and lots of rain tomorrow, they'll need to start from scratch.

Global warming has certainly advanced in the three years since I was last at Bear. Let's see... I don't remember a year where opening was later than the 17th of December. There was one year where they closed for a week, reopened, closed for a week again, then finally opened for good, but I think that was by Christmas or New Years.

Sad, and I was planning on maybe getting back on my snowboard for the first time in years, but doesn't look like it's gonna happen in this weather.

There is no doubt they needed to open asap, and no doubt their intentions were good. But the bottom line is they again F-ed up in taking a huge chance in trying to knock it out of the park by opening most of the trails at once. The season pass holder gets screwed again. I hit Elk Sunday and the three runs they had open were stellar and deep because they blew hard on them and didn't shoot for a big opening. Sorry, but with BC's smart guns and firepower, there could have been 2-3 trails with 2 feet on em. Nearing mid 50's and lots of rain tomorrow, they'll need to start from scratch.

you do realize they had maybe 2 days of blowing temps? there just are not enough guns on blackbear and kodiak for 2 feet on each trail in that window in time... i guess they could have moved all the mobile guns to those trails to make up for the short amount of time but that's kinda impractical. they took that huge chance for the pass holders. they know theyre opening later then usual and they know pass holders especially are itching to ride. that's probably why they did the one day stunt. it was free for anyone else who wanted to ride.

you do realize they had maybe 2 days of blowing temps? there just are not enough guns on blackbear and kodiak for 2 feet on each trail in that window in time... i guess they could have moved all the mobile guns to those trails to make up for the short amount of time but that's kinda impractical. they took that huge chance for the pass holders. they know theyre opening later then usual and they know pass holders especially are itching to ride. that's probably why they did the one day stunt. it was free for anyone else who wanted to ride.

I disagree. Last year it took only 60 hours of fulltime blowing to open 100%. Thin cover here and there to be sure, but only 60 hours. And didn't they even have a few elements for the park as well? Simple math would tell you that they could have concentrated the snow making energy on a few key slopes for the 40+ hours of good temps and then at least survived this warm up through their most needed open time, that being the holidays. I'm not a full time snowmaker, so I really can't speak with authority on this. However, based on historical facts and my previous involvement with snow making, I still stand by my statement that I think they made a wrong move.

I disagree. Last year it took only 60 hours of fulltime blowing to open 100%. Thin cover here and there to be sure, but only 60 hours. And didn't they even have a few elements for the park as well? Simple math would tell you that they could have concentrated the snow making energy on a few key slopes for the 40+ hours of good temps and then at least survived this warm up through their most needed open time, that being the holidays. I'm not a full time snowmaker, so I really can't speak with authority on this. However, based on historical facts and my previous involvement with snow making, I still stand by my statement that I think they made a wrong move.

Cool, you're not happy with bear creek's decisions, big surprise. Kindly keep your simple math in the Elk forums if you're just gonna come in here to talk down on a mountain we all know you dislike already.

"Oh well Elk's got three great trails open", no kidding. They are also about 2 hours north of BC in case you forgot.