2011-2012 season...

burton71

Winter - "Water temp too high is a fancy excuse."

The only snow Bear has made so far has been with water right around 50 degrees. It's almost as if people aren't aware of the weather they have personally been experiencing. 60 degree rainy days in November? How do you not notice this and take this into account? Mushy snow for a base layer??? Come on dood... really??? the ground hasn't even frozen yet.

burton71 - "Looks like they laid down a nice amount of snow. Perhaps late week opening?"

It looked that way from the cams and from the driveway but in reality most of what everyone saw was just a coating with scattered piles that are untouchable with a cat.

HouseMuzik - "At 27 degrees humidity is irrelevant (and for three days at BC the temp fell below that)." "You have all the guns on, the pressure through those guns is going to be less than just a few blowing." "Good luck BC, you need it.. "

When you see accuweather saying a low of 27 you have to understand that this early in the winter it might not get that cold until 3am and even then it could only last for an hour before temperatures start to rise again. Those few nights it got cold enough to make snow we maybe got 20 total hours of actual snowmaking in. Regarding water and air pressure... that is what's irrelevant. We used to have to be selective of where we made snow because of pumping capacities but with recent upgrades in pumps and fan guns this is no longer an issue. We can run every single gun at simultaneously with no problems.

GrilledSteezeSandwich - "Didn't they have 3-4 good nights of snowmaking??"

Again, we had 3 nights of 'good' temperatures but the actual window of snow making each night was not that great.

Kyle - "They have thin coverage over every trail when they could have a decent base over a couple trails, open with that, then go from there. "

Again... the amount you can see is deceiving. If you were to take a probe out there and measure the depth of some of the piles they might only be 2 or 3 feet deep at their peaks. Trust me... once you're in a cat... that 2 or 3 feet disappears reeeeal quick. Not to mention the fact that just to travel from pile to pile would make every bit of snow out a muddy mess.

Winter - "Bear creeks guns are very intelligent and can fine tune pressures and air speed (among other factors) while the addition of Snomax extends the range at which good snow can be produced."

Half right... The fan guns are extremely intelligent and it's only a matter of time before the become self aware, start to replicate and attempt to destroy the world. But seriously, our fan guns are pretty much the best you can buy. Snomax??? Not so much... I don't think we've used an additive in a really long time.

Winter -"The manager (with a degree in zoology i might add) seems to not be steering the boat in the right direction at times but his inner staff of managers is affraid to go against his grain. It's getting to be a soft dictatorship there. Good luck to 'em, with all that $$$ behind them though, they don't necessarily wince at a bad opening or early closing. "

Incorrect. This entire statement just illuminates your exteme distance from reality of what actually goes on at BC. With the exception of a few department heads that aren't necessarily involved in winter ops... Most of us are extremely passionate about skiing and boarding and want nothing more than to be open right now. Not only so that I can continue to pay my rent (obviously) but we all want to ride too!!!

glad you set that straight. it's not nearly as straight forward as, "ok, it's below 32°, let's make snow now". i hope you guys can open up soon. andy set a high bar for opening day parks, i'm hopin for big things tom!

• Like 1