2011-2012 season...

burton71

Only making snow on one or two trails at BC would not have made a difference in being open or closed since they do not have enough movable fan guns to move to one or two trails to supplement the non movable ones. Stop coming up with this theory that they could have opened with one or two trails!

This is a Bear forum right? Thought that was what i'm talkling about. Well, your brilliance with math and snowmaking don't outweigh the strength of my arguement. I ski at BC on weeknights so even though I dont care for the people running the place, I appreciate what they've done on-hill since the Doe mt. days. Again, I dislike the administration, not the hard working people trying to give us a place to ski. And ask any hardcore skier or rider, i think many would have been slightly happier at least having SOMETHING open now and through out the holidays than to sit on their overpriced season passes watching mud overtake snow.

^ Why don't you stop being a little bitch, wash the sand out and realize you live in PA and this shit is going to happen.

Hey great idea pip-squeek! Maybe if you have the balls, we can meet up over a beer at BC and you educate me on geography too! That is, only if you can get in the bar without being accompanied by an adult.

It definitely sucks Bear can't get it going (not for lack of effort), but I don't understand anyone bitching about not being able to ride. There's other mountains open, with full parks.

because people invested a good chunk of cash into a season pass at bear. when you've dropped $500 on a pass somewhere, it hurts that much more to pay another $40+ to ride 4 trails elsewhere.

• Like 1

Hey great idea pip-squeek! Maybe if you have the balls, we can meet up over a beer at BC and you educate me on geography too! That is, only if you can get in the bar without being accompanied by an adult.

Beer sounds good, do they have anything better than number 9 on tap now ? I hope the peanut guy is still there....

Listen fucktard I realize you feel entitled come hell or high water to Pocono shuffle down Kodiak but all this shit is dependent on the weather and sometimes in SE PA it just doesn't get cold enough. That is they way it works here since Billy Penn showed up and first laid down some 11's at Rebel Hill. Clearly though BC should have talked to you as some random douche who posts on the internet obviously knows more than people that actually do this for a living, I mean fuck you've goggled this shit what a unbelievable wealth of knowledge you can share with all of us.

Its been 50 degrees for pretty much the entire month, the entire U.S. is warm and dry, every mtn in the area is hurting but somehow that all doesn't matter because your entitled to make turns in December....good luck with that. Now you could douche your vag and go ski another hill for a couple of days until the weather is more favorable for BC, you know have some understanding about the situation.

The AO is coming around, cold air will return after Christmas and actually may stick around for awhile.

because people invested a good chunk of cash into a season pass at bear. when you've dropped $500 on a pass somewhere, it hurts that much more to pay another $40+ to ride 4 trails elsewhere.

Well said. I really hate to bring Elk up but just to slam home the point, they closed last year with 100% open and good coverage. There was quite an uproar from pass holders as you can imagine. The bottom line is there shouldn't be too much of a gamble when you plunk big $$$ on a season pass, hoping to get your $$$ out and then some. You're only gamble should be weather, not mistakes by the mountain. I won't buy a pass at BC soley because there are some very good 'outside' deals through ski clubs and shops, that if you only ski once per week it makes more sense to explore those avenues. This isn't BC specific, every mountain has things worked out like this, you just need to spend some time and do homework to sniff out the best deals.

Beer sounds good, do they have anything better than number 9 on tap now ? I hope the peanut guy is still there....

Listen fucktard I realize you feel entitled come hell or high water to Pocono shuffle down Kodiak but all this shit is dependent on the weather and sometimes in SE PA it just doesn't get cold enough. That is they way it works here since Billy Penn showed up and first laid down some 11's at Rebel Hill. Clearly though BC should have talked to you as some random douche who posts on the internet obviously knows more than people that actually do this for a living, I mean fuck you've goggled this shit what a unbelievable wealth of knowledge you can share with all of us.

Its been 50 degrees for pretty much the entire month, the entire U.S. is warm and dry, every mtn in the area is hurting but somehow that all doesn't matter because your entitled to make turns in December....good luck with that. Now you could douche your vag and go ski another hill for a couple of days until the weather is more favorable for BC, you know have some understanding about the situation.

The AO is coming around, cold air will return after Christmas and actually may stick around for awhile.

Brilliant post, I simply have no intelligent answer to that. Can't bring myself to use middle school bad words. Haven't been to the Grill yet to spec the beer selection, but they rarely disappoint. They usually have it posted on-line, but sometimes they are a week behind the kicked kegs.

I disagree. Last year it took only 60 hours of fulltime blowing to open 100%. Thin cover here and there to be sure, but only 60 hours. And didn't they even have a few elements for the park as well? Simple math would tell you that they could have concentrated the snow making energy on a few key slopes for the 40+ hours of good temps and then at least survived this warm up through their most needed open time, that being the holidays. I'm not a full time snowmaker, so I really can't speak with authority on this. However, based on historical facts and my previous involvement with snow making, I still stand by my statement that I think they made a wrong move.

yeah and them blowing that much that quickly cause a huge snow problem though out the season. the ponds were drawn so low that they took super long to refill, and the concentration of salt from the parking lots got really high in the ponds and caused bear to have to blow awful sticky snow. Bear pounded the mountain during those 2 days and they had extra mobile guns placed in lower black bear to try to get more snow down. you couldn't even see the mountain on the web cams. not to mention the week before was SO warm that the ground was probably wet and warm so the snow didnt only melt from the top but from underneath too. if they could be open right now, they would be. one or two trails is simply not enough space for bear creek. The reality is that this season isn't last season or any other season for that matter and just because they opened one time with 60 hours doesn't mean the conditions will be exactly replicated the next season. all your snow making experience should tell you that the temp humidity and ground temp have to be just right for production to be as plentiful as it was at the beginning of last season.

Edited by MollyProsser

yeah and them blowing that much that quickly cause a huge snow problem though out the season. the ponds were drawn so low that they took super long to refill, and the concentration of salt from the parking lots got really high in the ponds and caused bear to have to blow awful sticky snow. Bear pounded the mountain during those 2 days and they had extra mobile guns placed in lower black bear to try to get more snow down. you couldn't even see the mountain on the web cams. not to mention the week before was SO warm that the ground was probably wet and warm so the snow didnt only melt from the top but from underneath too. if they could be open right now, they would be. one or two trails is simply not enough space for bear creek. The reality is that this season isn't last season or any other season for that matter and just because they opened one time with 60 hours doesn't mean the conditions will be exactly replicated the next season. all your snow making experience should tell you that the temp humidity and ground temp have to be just right for production to be as plentiful as it was at the beginning of last season.

I follow ya. As i mention in a previous post, i remember the ponds being REALLY low and then a warm spell hit. And of course, there are many other factors other than wet bulb indexes. Blue Mt. seems to be the most southern ski area in Pa currently open, it would have been nice to see bear take the line lower. But if Roundtop, liberty and whitetail aren't open either, it wasn't for lack of trying i suppose.

Oh, fwiw, the beer selction looks good as usual, but they no longer seem to have the 'on tap' menu up.

http://bcmountainresort.com/grille

• Like 1

finally bear has a normal grille menu back. it was whack for a while. one time i got nachos and they made them with potato chips.

I never had a terrible meal there,. but depending on what culinary group was in there, it could have been hit or miss. Bear, as i mentioned, is trying to get all operations under their umbrella, hence the booting of the ski team, the ski shop and now the food service. At least it looks like the beer will be good!

i never had meal there untill then. i dont care what culinary school they went to nachos should not be made with potato chips haha.

LOL, yeah, nachos can take on various forms but using potato chips.... What did you get charged for that? They've never made a bad burger there, that's my go-to favorite... that and a good IPA to wash it down.

LOL, yeah, nachos can take on various forms but using potato chips.... What did you get charged for that? They've never made a bad burger there, that's my go-to favorite... that and a good IPA to wash it down.

regular price of nachos then was like ten bucks i think but they gave you pretty much a mountain of chips with everything you could ever want on top.

I bought one as well (not $500 if you went through here), and I agree it's no fun to pay anywhere else. But I like riding better than sitting around waiting for Bear to open. All depends on what you want to do with your money I guess, but it helps to not put all your eggs in BC's basket.